Gastrointestinal on board QM2 at the moment

Lynnewob

Extract of outlook from Met Office shipping forecast

Gales easing over Fitzroy early on Sunday but winds will be strong to the north of 48 north with a risk of gales, particularly through the English Channel. Risk of gales soon easing on Monday with winds easing from the west

Well, it seems that there is a competition amongst weather forecasters. I can only confirm what various Belgian forecasts say.

:)

I am onboard at the moment. There have only been a small number of cases of Noro. First brought to the attention of the passengers on the third day. It has been kept under control by the amazing additional sanitation programme and restrictions which were immediately put in place. It has not spoilt the enjoyment of our voyage. I would imagine that the red level has stayed in place to ensure that Noro does not reoccur if at all possible.

I hope if you are getting on board tomorrow you have just as good a trip as we did.

I've just come off QM2 today. As others said, the virus was on the ship. I heard that the first case of it was on the first night - which would mean it had been brought on board.

One of my friends succumbed but the rest of us were fine. She was restricted to her room for 2 days. (Unfortunately she'd gone for an inside cabin this time!) She described it as 6 hours of pain followed by 2 days of boredom. When she was allowed to leave her room, she could not visit the King's Court for two days. She had to go to Britannia or have room service.

I have never seen such restrictions before. We could not even get our own drinks in the King's Court. They were very careful of our wellbeing. My favourite part was when I asked for salt in the Britannia restaurant and the waiter handed me a packet using tongs. That only happened once. The rest of the time they used fingers. We knew things were easing up on the second-last day when jugs of milk and the packs of sugar appeared on the table at our evening meal, ready for coffee.

Hopefully all has been cleared up and the next cruises will be fine.

Two years ago during the Christmas QM2 outbreak we had to order our dessert with the entree since that was the last time that night we were seeing the menu. Salt/pepper was paper packets in Britannia.

I'm thinking about bringing a bottle of Tabasco on our cruise, just in case.

Two years ago during the Christmas QM2 outbreak we had to order our dessert with the entree since that was the last time that night we were seeing the menu. Salt/pepper was paper packets in Britannia.

I'm thinking about bringing a bottle of Tabasco on our cruise, just in case.

Ok, I'll bite...what does Tabasco do for gastro-intestional outbreaks?

Edited by Salacia

Ok, I'll bite...what does Tabasco do for gastro-intestional outbreaks?
Good try. :)

Shared condiment containers are among the first things to be taken away. During a gastro-intestinal outbreak I'd be assured of having Tabasco since I'd have my own Tabasco.

(DW likes her morning Bloody Marys but she usually requests some Tabasco in case it needs more spice)

Edited by Underwatr

Good try. :)

Shared condiment containers are among the first things to be taken away. During a gastro-intestinal outbreak I'd be assured of having Tabasco since I'd have my own Tabasco.

(DW likes her morning Bloody Marys but she usually requests some Tabasco in case it needs more spice)

OH, I didn't think of that! I wasn't pulling your leg, I was honestly curious.I can't use Tabasco due to a sensitive digestive system, but I wondered if I had missed some health benefit. I don't think I'd use it when there was a noro outbreak though - bland is better when there is a concern that what goes down will come up or out. :eek:

At what point would this current outbreak appear on the CDC Vessel Sanitation Program Report?

In 2012, a well-noted outbreak, which began similarly during UK/European cruises, continued across the Atlantic unabated and into the Caribbean Christmas cruise, affecting scores of holiday passengers and crew. It made US and UK news and appeared on the CDC website.

We sailed last year's 2013 Christmas cruise and arrived armed with Lysol spray, Clorox wipes, etc. The cruise was Noro-incident free, and it was arguably one of our best cruises yet on Queen Mary.

Hoping that the super sanitation in Southampton solves the problem.

At what point would this current outbreak appear on the CDC Vessel Sanitation Program Report?

In 2012, a well-noted outbreak, which began similarly during UK/European cruises, continued across the Atlantic unabated and into the Caribbean Christmas cruise, affecting scores of holiday passengers and crew. It made US and UK news and appeared on the CDC website.

We sailed last year's 2013 Christmas cruise and arrived armed with Lysol spray, Clorox wipes, etc. The cruise was Noro-incident free, and it was arguably one of our best cruises yet on Queen Mary.

Hoping that the super sanitation in Southampton solves the problem.

This is the criterion for CDC VSP gastro intestinal outbreak reports, quoted from the CDC website...

Cruise ships under our jurisdiction:

•carry 13 or more passengers, and

•have a foreign itinerary with U.S. ports

Cruise ship outbreak updates are posted when they meet the following criteria:

•Fall within the purview of VSP,

•Are sailing on voyages from 3-21 days,

•Are carrying 100 or more passengers,

•Are cruise ships in which 3% or more of passengers or crew reported symptoms of diarrheal disease to the ships medical staff during the voyage, and

•Are gastrointestinal illness outbreaks of public health significance.

Correction welcomed, but I don't think the current cruise involved a US port - hence, no mandatory reporting regarding the outbreak to CDC unless 3% of passengers or crew reported symptoms, and we know how that works <wink, wink>. I have no knowledge regarding mandatory EU reports of gastro-intestinal outbreaks on board cruise ships. -S.

Edited by Salacia

OH, I didn't think of that! I wasn't pulling your leg, I was honestly curious.I can't use Tabasco due to a sensitive digestive system, but I wondered if I had missed some health benefit. I don't think I'd use it when there was a noro outbreak though - bland is better when there is a concern that what goes down will come up or out. :eek:

"Hot" food, and red peppers particularly have been shown to boost the imune system.

As Tabasco is made from red peppers Underwatr's DW would seem to be taking the correct "medicine"

David.

Can't say I am surprised, last time on QM2 - 19th Nov 2014 - there were flies on and around the food in the buffet, and just warm dinners served on cold plates in the dining room.

I mentioned it on here when I got back, it was disgusting.

Can't say I am surprised, last time on QM2 - 19th Nov 2014 - there were flies on and around the food in the buffet, and just warm dinners served on cold plates in the dining room.

I mentioned it on here when I got back, it was disgusting.

Griller, that sounds like a dreadful experience but it was not the problem on this cruise. I was on it. People came down sick the first night. That means they had brought the illness on board with them.

I was very impressed by all the measures put into place by the ship's staff. It added time to our day, but we reached the point about three or four days before the end of the cruise where only one new case was reported overnight. That shows how well the system worked.

This is the criterion for CDC VSP gastro intestinal outbreak reports, quoted from the CDC website...

Cruise ships under our jurisdiction:

•carry 13 or more passengers, and

•have a foreign itinerary with U.S. ports

Cruise ship outbreak updates are posted when they meet the following criteria:

•Fall within the purview of VSP,

•Are sailing on voyages from 3-21 days,

•Are carrying 100 or more passengers,

•Are cruise ships in which 3% or more of passengers or crew reported symptoms of diarrheal disease to the ships medical staff during the voyage, and

•Are gastrointestinal illness outbreaks of public health significance.

Correction welcomed, but I don't think the current cruise involved a US port - hence, no mandatory reporting regarding the outbreak to CDC unless 3% of passengers or crew reported symptoms, and we know how that works <wink, wink>. I have no knowledge regarding mandatory EU reports of gastro-intestinal outbreaks on board cruise ships. -S.

I wonder how this applies to the World cruise which is way over 21 days but has shorter segments, Also, to the whole WC or segments with US stops.

Roy

Just got home from the 3 nighter on QM2... Boarding was delayed due to late arrival and then deep clean...no bar menus, or salt and pepper on tables for the first couple of days, toilet doors left open (they should think about this when the gents are opposite the ladies..we got an eyeful on more than one occasion! :eek:

Everything seemed to be getting back to normal yesterday.

Hope everyone joining for Christmas and New Year have a fabulous time...must say that after 8 cruises with Cunard, the service in the britannia restaurant was appalling...we walked out of breakfast yesterday after waiting 45 minutes for a bagel!