What do you wear on a December cruise?

Riley's Mom

We've always cruised in the warmer months and I'm not sure what to wear in December.

The weather will be in the 70s according to the forecast. Do ppl wear the typical shots and tanks on board during the day or something more winter like?

May sound like a crazy question, but I am being serious! Lol

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If sailing from south Florida, I do wear shorts and tee shirts. Most days will be in mid to high 70's. Since I fly in from NY, I'll have a jacket, sweatshirt or sweater and gloves with me, but I've never needed them on a cruise. And of course, the further south one travels, the warmer it gets.

I have my "cruising clothes" that I take no matter when I go. They consist of several pair of Capri pants, a pair of jeans, short sleeve and 3/4 sleeve length tops, bathing suit, one or 2 cocktail dresses, a sweater, pair of sweatpants, and of course shoes. I only travel to the caribbean, so if you are going to like Alaska or the Med, then you will need to adjust accordingly.

We'll be on the same cruise. I'm planning to wear long pants and a 3/4 sleeve top for Sail-away. By the next day, I plan to wear shorts or swim suit (capris for dinner) until the last Sea Day. Then, it might be a little chilly again. You never know. Last Christmas cruise, I had to wear my leather jacket for Sail-away, but the forecast doesn't seem that cold this year. I'll have a jacket in the car in case it does turn cold for the trip home. You can also just bring a jacket with you and hang it in the closet. One year in February, we left the snow in Galveston to sail and were wearing shorts the next day.

Edited by grannycroozer

These are all great suggestions, but I would add that packing a hoodie is a good bet since the weather can vary in the winter, even in the Caribbean. Wind is also more common in the Caribbean in the winter months which can make it feel cooler. But it can also be quite warm so you'll want your typical cruise clothes too. Plan on it being warmer and warmer the further south you get.

I usually pack my typical cruise clothes plus add one pair of long pants and a hoodie when I'm cruising in the Caribbean in the winter months.

Riley's Mom,

If you go into the National Weather site you can check the weather up to 10 days ahead and Galveston looks like the 60's, and Cozumel the high 70's. Be sure you have an umbrella for Coz as you can have rain showers, but also be prepared for it to be a little warmer than it says. We have cruised at Xmas and it can feel cold in Galveston due to the fact you are by the ocean and it's often breezy. Have a great trip:)

San Antonio cruiser.

We usually cruise in January but, I assume that's not that much different than December. Honestly I didn't pack anything different than we did for our April cruise except we brought a sweatshirt/sweater for the evenings if you plan to do on deck activities like Movies or Deck parties etc.

I have always been comfortable with shorts and a short sleeved shirt in the Caribbean and have not been chilly. In fact there's days when in the islands it's been HOT!!

Now, since I'm from Illinois, I have to think about what I am going to wear on the airplane so I won't freeze when I get home. So, I usually wear jeans and then a t-shirt or short sleeved shirt and then bring a sweatshirt with me that I can put on while I am on the plane.

But, when packing for the islands, don't pack thinking it will be chilly there. We have been there several times and each time it has been mid to upper 80's.

Thank you all for the replies.

I just wasn;t sure if we should pack more season appropriate clothing or so with the usual "cruise wear". Lol

Sad thing: None of my usual cruise wear fit because I've gained about 20lb since May (last cruise) Ugh!!!! Damn Holiday Weight Gain!!!

I think part of it depends on where you're coming from, and what your definition of cold or shorts weather is. Last year, I cruised of of Miami in Mid-March. I am in New Hampshire, so my idea of cold is different than those further south (i.e. Florida). We got down there and the news said "Very chilly start of the day, only 68* outside right now, and it will be a brisk 74* today for a high". It was absolutely gorgeous for sail away, especially with the 15* weather we left behind :D

I usually bring pants and a light jacket to wear on deck at night. I am a chronic overpacker :) I pack for all situations!

We'll be on the same cruise. I'm planning to wear long pants and a 3/4 sleeve top for Sail-away. By the next day, I plan to wear shorts or swim suit (capris for dinner) until the last Sea Day. Then, it might be a little chilly again. You never know. Last Christmas cruise, I had to wear my leather jacket for Sail-away, but the forecast doesn't seem that cold this year. I'll have a jacket in the car in case it does turn cold for the trip home. You can also just bring a jacket with you and hang it in the closet. One year in February, we left the snow in Galveston to sail and were wearing shorts the next day.

We sailed last Christmas from Miami and I was in shorts and a tank to for sail away.

Riley's Mom, I'm in the same boat (as well as on the same ship)! I've gained about 20 pounds since May also. My sundress is a little more forgiving, but I am going to have to be creative for my other clothes. I think the salt water from my last cruise shrunk all my clothes!

Looks like I will be taking a coat because the 10 day forecast for Galveston shows the 50's on Saturday. It changes so often, it's hard to tell. I like the idea of a hoodie.

Can't wait to get on that ship!

If you are sailing from Galveston I would bring a warm outfit. Sometimes the weather site is not that accurate and it has been very chilly the last sea day returning to Galveston. I was very happy to have packed a heavy hoodie and jeans that time.

We just got off a cruise in Galveston on 7 Dec. I had a light jacket & capris on for Sailaway, but when we came back in on the 7th it was 47 & I had on a hoodie & jeans

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Riley's Mom, I'm in the same boat (as well as on the same ship)! I've gained about 20 pounds since May also. My sundress is a little more forgiving, but I am going to have to be creative for my other clothes. I think the salt water from my last cruise shrunk all my clothes!

Looks like I will be taking a coat because the 10 day forecast for Galveston shows the 50's on Saturday. It changes so often, it's hard to tell. I like the idea of a hoodie.

Can't wait to get on that ship!

I'm going to use that line...saltwater shrunk my clothes. ..i knew it wasn't the food!

When I have cruised from New Orleans and Charleston, cooler ports, heading to the Caribbean in the winter, I wear jeans, closed shoes, and a jacket for sail away and return. That way my "bigger clothes" are on my body, not taking up space in my suitcase. I plan to do this from Houston next week too. Works for me!