Grand Mediterranean Cruise - Need Advice

rogernorma

Considering the 12 day Grand Mediterranean on Island Princess in September 2015. First time my bride and I will be in Europe. Have read about shore excursion issues with Princess including high prices, poor planning, etc. It includes: Venice, Dubrovnik, Athens, Kusadasi, Maykonos, Naples, Rome, Florence, Toulon and Barcelona. Need advice and specifics on the best tours including private at reasonable prices and Princess excursions.

We went to Alaska on the Island Princess a couple of years ago and enjoyed the ship. I understand it has been in dry dock, but do not know what they did to the ship. Please advise of the changes, etc.

It appears that this is the first time Island Princess will be handling the Mediterranean, is this a problem?

Need your advise and help.

Thanks

rogernorma

Hello rogernorma and welcome to Cruise Critic...

The Grand Med itinerary was our first European itinerary and I feel the best one for first timers. Since this will be your first trip to Europe, plan to arrive in Venice a few days before embarkation to overcome jet lag and acclimate yourselves to being in a foreign country. You'll also have time to enjoy beautiful Venice. I would also plan to spend a few days in Barcelona after your cruise ends...it's a beautiful, vibrant city...one of our favorite in Europe.

I suggest you join the Roll Call for your particular cruise where you'll meet others cruising with you. Private tours are usually arranged by members who will invite others on the cruise to join them. To find the Roll Call for your cruise: click here, find your cruise line [cruise line] then click on the [name of your ship] Roll Calls, then search the list for the embarkation date of your cruise. Click on it for your Roll Call.

Also check out the Ports of Call Boards for a wealth of information on the countries you'll be visiting.

Lew

Edited by -Lew-

Hello rogernorma and welcome to Cruise Critic...

The Grand Med itinerary was our first European itinerary and I feel the best one for first timers. Since this will be your first trip to Europe, plan to arrive in Venice a few days before embarkation to overcome jet lag and acclimate yourselves to being in a foreign country. You'll also have time to enjoy beautiful Venice. I would also plan to spend a few days in Barcelona after your cruise ends...it's a beautiful, vibrant city...one of our favorite in Europe.

I suggest you join the Roll Call for your particular cruise where you'll meet others cruising with you. Private tours are usually arranged by members who will invite others on the cruise to join them. To find the Roll Call for your cruise: click here, find your cruise line [cruise line] then click on the [name of your ship] Roll Calls, then search the list for the embarkation date of your cruise. Click on it for your Roll Call.

Also check out the Ports of Call Boards for a wealth of information on the countries you'll be visiting.

Lew

Excellent points. Having done that one this summer (including 3 days each pre-cruise in Venice and post-cruise in Barcelona), we agree completely. We did extensive Princess excursions. Although a bit pricy, they were all excellent. The best - by far - was Ephesus. Next was the Tuscany wine tour.

You will have a fabulous time. Enjoy!!

We did Grand Med on the Royal Princess in 2013. We were with first time Europe cruisers and it was a perfect itinerary for every one.

To begin with, make sure you allow for two to three extra days at each end of the cruise in venice and Barcelona. They are both wonderful cities and you should not shortchange either. We do a mixture of private excursions, ship excursions and some ports on our own. Pretty much all excursions are expensive in The Med...and I have never had a problem with ships excursions. Sometimes for us it makes sense. Ship excursions usually involve a bus while private excursions involve a smaller minibus therefore they move around more and generally you see more, but they are not always less expensive unless you are part of a group that splits it up.

Go to the Europe boards, get a Rick Steves or other travel book, do your research and and decide what you want to do in each port as there are many options. And good advice to join your roll call.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I agree with the recommendation for Rick Steves' book. It is great for DIY. As long as you are willing to go off on your own in the ports, many are easy to do on your own.

Dubrovnik - we took a shuttle bus to the old town and toured it ourselves. As I recall to walk the wall. you need either local currency or credit card to buy the ticket.

Athens - It is about 1 mile bus ride to the metro which takes you anywhere in the city. One ticket covers the bus and the metro.

Kusadasi - take a tour (hopefully private). Try and find one including the Terrace Homes.

Mykonos - shuttle to town and then walk. Some take a taxi to a beach. I wanted to go to Delos (birthplace of Artemis and Apollo), but the ferry times did not work for me. SO I took Princess tour there.

Naples - Short bus ride to train station and train to Herculeaneum, Pompeii and Sorrento. Or ferry to Capri.

Rome & Florence are a long way from port. We shared a cab to Florence. Visited Rome on land tours and pre-cruise.

... Have read about shore excursion issues with Princess including high prices, poor planning, etc. ....

Need your advise and help.

Thanks

rogernorma

You will find many people on these boards who will advise you to never book a Princess shore excursion. The roll calls are great for meeting those that do want to do private excursions.

We have taken many, many Princess excursions - probably at least 3-4 or more per cruise and 27 cruises so do have a great deal of experience with them. Out of all the 100 plus tours we have only had 1 or 2 that were poor and that was mainly from equipment failure with the microphone system on the bus. Some guides have been really great and other have just been good.

I have spoken with many who have decided to just do their own thing when reaching a port and for various reasons have not been successful. Those that book private excursions do seem very satisfied but when I read what it is costing them there does not seem to be much price difference. Small groups in vans or sedans sounds great but when we have been on excursions with those types of transportation it has been impossible for those not seated by a window to see the sights while driving.

For us dealing with trains, buses, taxi and other forms of transportation in ports just doesn't meet our needs. We cruise and tour for a stress-free and relaxing experience.

I won't go into the pros of taking a Princess excursion and having the ship waiting should you return late but will mention that things do happen that are beyond the tour company's control so even if it happens rarely it is a possibility.

You have chosen a great itinerary and we have taken several Princess excursions in all the ports except Toulon which we have not visited. Find excursions that interest you and make the most of your cruise. The best tours are the ones that meet your expectations and interests not those of someone else. Cruises in Europe are not cheap and possibly spending an extra dollar or two on an excursion will make the "perfect" trip.

The Island Princess is going to under go major changes. By going onto Princess dot com and going to cruise ships Island Princess you will see under deck plans the layout before and after May 22, 2015 so you can compare.

There is speculation as to why the changes, which many are unhappy about, but it is possibly because the larger ships will no longer be allowed up the Grand Canal in Venice and the Island's size will probably allow that to happen.

Have a great cruise no matter what you decide to do.:)

Edited by BJS

The Island Princess is going to under go major changes. By going onto Princess dot com and going to cruise ships Island Princess you will see under deck plans the layout before and after May 22, 2015 so you can compare.

There is speculation as to why the changes, which many are unhappy about, but it is possibly because the larger ships will no longer be allowed up the Grand Canal in Venice and the Island's size will probably allow that to happen.

The Island could still cruise near the Grand Canal (no cruise ship could ever go up it) even if the rear part of the promenade deck was not eliminated, the rear lounge was not eliminated, outside viewing space at the front and rear was not changed to cabins, the gym relocated, the library reduced in size, etc.

Squeezing more cabins onto the ship while reducing public space has to do with enhancing income, not sailing to Venice.

The Island could still cruise near the Grand Canal (no cruise ship could ever go up it) even if the rear part of the promenade deck was not eliminated, the rear lounge was not eliminated, outside viewing space at the front and rear was not changed to cabins, the gym relocated, the library reduced in size, etc.

Squeezing more cabins onto the ship while reducing public space has to do with enhancing income, not sailing to Venice.

Agree totally that the changes you mentioned have nothing to do with her ability to cruise Venice.

I should have clarified it was for more staterooms so that more passengers (agree that creates more revenue) could be accommodated on those Venice cruises since the Island is under the 96,000 tonnage permitted to sail in the lagoon.

The new version of the Island Princess will not be the ship you enjoyed in Alaska. In excess of 240 additional passengers are going to be added to the ship, in staterooms and suites converted from previously public spaces. Princess has placed profits over passenger satisfaction - again - with their dry dock plans for this ship. Her once wonderful Universe Lounge and its popular show - GONE. The full circuit promenade with its aft viewing platform - GONE. The seaview fitness center - GONE. Aft Sanctuary pool - GONE. The card room and library now to be half their previous size, with both occupying the former library. What passengers will gain from the dry dock is ... absolutely NOTHING. Not even an International Café to help offset the affect of 240 more people using the same dining facilities. Take a look at the new deck plans shown on the Princess website for sailings after May, 2015, to see these and all the other changes, none of them good from the passenger standpoint. You may want to consider choosing another cruise line. I am personally furious about these changes, as my husband and I, along with 2 other couples, booked this same cruise before we knew about Princess's money grubbing plans. I have just become an Elite Princess cruiser, but with their present attitude toward passenger comfort and enjoyment, this will be my last Princess cruise. Obviously, Princess doesn't value us, so this should make them happy.

Edited by trvllin1

I agree this is a great cruise for first timers. We did this cruise a few years ago and flew into Barcelona a few days early which worked out well....my wife and I loved the city, and hope to return. I've done both princess excursions as well as private. Princess is definitely not cheap and the worth often depends on the luck of the tour guide (we have had both great and horrible, and in between). I have found them to be generally well organized. I would as suggested check the roll calls and message boards to see what else is available and based on costs and your interests decide what fits your needs and wallet.....regardless you will have great memories!!

We did this cruise in September. Here's what we did-

Flew to Venice and stayed at the Hotel Casa Sant Andrea overnight. Can walk to it from the Piazza Roma where the ATVO bus from the airport drops you off. Easy walk to the vaoretto dock and to the "People Move" to the ship terminal.

Did Ravenna and Dubrovnik on our own. Purchased a Dubrovnik pass online that includes the wall walk plus some museums.

In Athens we booked a taxi: http://www.piraeusporttaxi.com/ to pick us up and take us directly to the Acropolis. There were four of us and the cost was 25eu for all. Then walked around to other sights and took a taxi back to the ship.

In Kusadasi we used Ephesus Shuttle http://www.ephesusshuttle.com/ for a tour to Ephesus and more. Used them before and they are excellent. We put together a group of eight, four + four more from our roll call. Do not miss the Terraced Houses.

Mykonos on our own, ship's shuttle into town.

Naples and Rome we used Rome In Limo http://www.romeinlimo.com/ with the same eight people. In Naples we did their "Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano" tour and in Rome the "Rome Highlights" tour. Excellent tour company, see the long running thread on the Italy board. I booked the tours using their "tour sharing" option but I got the other four people through the roll call board first then booked the tour and had them sign up for it.

In Florence and Toulon we used the ship's "On Your Own" tours. We knew what we wanted to see in Florence and we went to Aix in Provence from Toulon.

Did not stay in Barcelona as we needed to get back home.

Hope this helps.

<<<Karen>>>

...... I am personally furious about these changes, as my husband and I, along with 2 other couples, booked this same cruise before we knew about Princess's money grubbing plans. I have just become an Elite Princess cruiser, but with their present attitude toward passenger comfort and enjoyment, this will be my last Princess cruise. Obviously, Princess doesn't value us, so this should make them happy.

Sounds like maybe you should reconsider going on this cruise. If you are going to be miserable I'm sure that will transfer to the 2 other couples. Why not choose a cruise that will make you happy and thus all of you will be happy.:confused:

Loved it when there were two shows to go to but if the Island is like the other ships we have recently sailed on that rear lounge has not been used for a second show so why is it needed except for game shows, dances, etc. which can easily be held in the Explorer's Lounge.

Quite possibly for many these changes will hold little importance when deciding to sail on the Island Princess.

Edited by BJS

We used Rome Cabs in Rome, and they were fabulous! I can't praise them enough for the wonderful tour and personal service. http://www.romecabs.com

Also check out Trip Advisor for recommendations and information. We also used Rome in Limo for Naples and Florence. You can't go wrong with either of these companies, but Stefano of Rome Cabs was superior.

Regardless of the changes made to the Island Princess, it's really all about the ports. You'll have a great trip with life long memories!

I have used Shore Excursion Group numerous times and pleased with the service. In all the tours that I have taken with this company, I have had never more than 12 people in my group regardless if it was a small group or standard tour. The company offers special combo packages too. You can book early for the combo packages and then if you change your mind, cancel 2 week prior. Read cancellation rules.

http://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/

There are Hop-on-Hop off buses or you can DIY in each port of call; however, that is a lot of work/research to do on your part to plan; I do this for myself now, but have been to those ports several times and know the layout and what I want to focus on. My humble recommendation would be to take tours to get aquainted with the cities as well as get the full experience; I did that several years ago when I first traveled Europe.

If in Barcelona you are planning to see La Sagrada Familia, no tour will do it justice with a 1 hour walk through. Instead purchase the tickets online prior to your cruise (make sure to get the tower & audio package) and take a taxi from the pier to the church and back. This way you can enjoy the structure, interior, exterior, basement & gift shop at your own pace. There is a lot to see. Allow 3 hours, I took 4.

http://www.sagradafamilia.cat/sf-eng/

For Venice, you can walk the town and just get lost, that is when you find the treasures, especially away from the tourist areas. A tour guide said there is no accurate map of Venice, that is true. Here is one tour that I really enjoyed, but you do a lot of walking and climbing stairs.

https://www.hiddenvenicetours.com/venice-tours/doges-palace-secret-itineraries-tour

Also, do not go to the bell tower in St. Mark's Square and waste your time in line and money. Instead, catch the vaparetto to San Giorgio Maggiore island across the "bay" for a better view, less cost, and no crowds. Plus the island is peaceful since tour groups don't go there.

Take a tour of Torcello, Murano, & Burano. Nice day tour.

Another way to save money is to buy a vaparetto pass for a day, two or three. You can go on and off contineously and much cheaper than purchasing a ticket for each ride. Plus it helps to ride when your feet get tired.

Mykonos is a walkable town, even if it may seem like a maze.

Unfortunately, the maps that Princess gives you on the ship are not helpful. Instead at the pier look for a tourist information desk, they always have free maps.

Any other questions, just ask.

All the ports have so much to visit, narrow down what you really want to see to avoid information overload.

For Athens, Acropolis is a site to see; however, no elevators, only stairs and uneven surfaces.

For Kusadasi, Ephesus is a site to see; better pathways with less stairs; however, still uneven surfaces.

For Naples, you have several choices of Capri, Pompeii, Tuscany, or the Amalfi Coast with Sorento.

For Rome, there is a lot to see so focus on what you visit.

For Florence, stick with Florence only, by adding Pisa it will be too rushed.

• 2 weeks later...

We did this cruise this past summer. If you have never been to Europe before, I would recommend doing tours, not going on your own. We love Rick Steves, but his books are for those who love to go off the beaten path, but I would still recommend tours. You should read them to get acquainted with the ports. We also did mostly Princess tours, which were all excellent. Here are some of my suggestions:

1/ Like everyone suggests, add extra days if possible in Venice and Barcelona, they are magnificent cities.

2/Toulon: we did a Princess tour which was 1/2 day and we really enjoyed.

3/Rome and Florence are 1 1/2 hours from the oorts. I would strongly recommend doing Princess tours. We were late both days arriving in port and those who had booked private tours were very upset about missing their tours, etc. not worth it when the ports are so far away.

4/ We did Sorrento and Pompeii when we were Naples, with Princess. We LOVED this excursion. You can't do everything so we decided to save Capri, for hopefully another trip.

5/ Mykonos: just walk into town and bring a guide book so you know what to go and see. We didn't think it was worth booking a tour. We loved Myknonos.

6/ Athens: we did the Princess Best of Athens, again, excellent.

7/Kusadasi: like another traveler recommended:

In Kusadasi we used Ephesus Shuttle http://www.ephesusshuttle.com/ . Highly recommend.

STRONGLY urge you to do a lot of reading and research before you go. Learn about the ports and have ideas what will be important to see. FYI: the Princess tour guides are all local. The only down side to their tours are the big groups, but I personally enjoyed meeting the other passengers in our group. I found my fellow travelers were all there for the same reasons, to see and learn. Most of the time, people were on time and very considerate, I was hesitate prior to the tours, thinking they were be terrible, but was always pleasantly surprised. They are expensive, but I think they are worth it. Else, spend a lot of time on this site and Tripadvisor for recommendations if you really feel you want smaller groups and hope to save money.

The new version of the Island Princess will not be the ship you enjoyed in Alaska.

We have sailed three times with Princess all on the Island. It was a great ship with lots of open spaces. We never felt like we were being herded like cattle. We never waited on a poolside lounge chair, we never waited on anytime dining seating, occasional there was a small line for the buffet... but now take away the public areas, add 240 more passengers using the SAME sized dining rooms and Horizon buffet! I can't wait to go to the fitness center and stare at a wall rather then looking at the passing scenery... it's hard enough to drag myself to workout! It is clearly obvious these changes were NOT to improve passenger services or comfort!

We too booked this cruise before we knew about the gutting of the Island, unfortunately, we also purchased airline tickets at the same time. If I didn't have to pay all of the fees to change my families airline tickets, we would have been off that cruise as soon as we saw the changes. Like many loyal Princess passengers it stings when profits are the ONLY thing that drives change!! This will also be our last Princess cruise!