CPAP Machine & Electrical Extension Cable

delirious9876

Hi, I use a CPAP Machine at night to sleep and need an electrical outlet near my bed (which most cruise ships don't have) or an Electrical Extension Cable.

Can you tell me where or who I need to contact within Princess to request an extension cable for my upcoming cruise in January 2015.

Thanks

We bring our own extension cord as well as a Belkin mini surge protector. The Belkin has three elec. outlets and two usb ports.Very handy and it also swivels.. I believe the cabin steward would get an extension cord for you but we don't take a chance.

We bring our own extension cord as well as a Belkin mini surge protector. The Belkin has three elec. outlets and two usb ports.Very handy and it also swivels.. I believe the cabin steward would get an extension cord for you but we don't take a chance.

I can't really bring a cable flying International due to the weight restriction. I'll give Princess and my travel agent a call. Thanks for your comments.

if anyone knows different please post and let me know.

I can't really bring a cable flying International due to the weight restriction. I'll give Princess and my travel agent a call. Thanks for your comments.

Depending on which port you are leaving from...you could go to a store and buy an extension cord before you board.

Others have posted that the steward was able to provide an extension cord, but if he has 10 and you are the 11th request, you could end up without.

Also, check with your provider to make sure you have one of the "newer" machines that automatically switch from 220 to 110. And bring an extra mask cushion/nasal pillows and some duct tape for emergency repairs.

Although Princess ships can carry some extra cords I would not count on one being available regardless whether you contact Princess or not. You may get onboard and the ship might not have any info on your request. Unfortunatley this happens more often then not as there is a disconnect between corporate and fleet. They will provide distilled water when needed.

I would really try and bring your own or buy once you arrive.

Hi, I use a CPAP Machine at night to sleep and need an electrical outlet near my bed (which most cruise ships don't have) or an Electrical Extension Cable.

Can you tell me where or who I need to contact within Princess to request an extension cable for my upcoming cruise in January 2015.

Thanks

On the Princess web page , log in and go to Cruise Personizer. Click on "Guest Check in", then "medical and dietary requests", then "dietary special requests", then check the "distilled water" box and then fill in the message box with your CPAP info and request whatever appropriate electrical or extension cord , as required. Then submit the page to Princess. You may or may not get a confirmation, so don't hold your breath waiting :)

...VTX-Al

I'm able to pack extension cord and power bar in my CPAP carrying case, and carry it on flight as medical carry-on, as you should never take the machine as checked baggage. ;)

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines :D

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebexc city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May 2014, 7 Day, LA to Vancouver.

30th cruise - Pacific Princess, 05 - 12 Aug. 2014, 7 Days, Vancouver RT, Alaska

31st cruise - Golden Princess, 13 - 17 Oct. 2014, 4 Days, LA - Mexican Riv, RT,

We bought the Z1 Travel CPAP that can run on batteries or plug in directly. If you are concerned about weight while flying it is very light. The battery shell means it can be used on overnight flights too.

Z1 CPAP

Mary Ellen, I see by your location you are in Colorado. I live in Hawaii and just returned to my job as an airline pilot. I just finished my reindoc training in Denver and was using a full tank of water everynight in my humidifier. Have you tried the humidifier attachments for the Z1? I would like to go back to International flying, but can't imagine sleeping in the relief bunk without my Bipap. At home, or especially on a Cruise, I don't need the humidifier.

Mahalo, Tim

Just as a heads up, we did a Transpacific in Sept to Asia from Vancouver on Celebrity. My cord was confiscated at embarkation and another one given to me by the cabin steward. Mine was returned at the end of the cruise in Shanghai. The cord that replaced mine was no where near the quality of the one confiscated. Also no problem with extension cord in CPAP bag on international flights. Carry on medical equipment is not counted as carry on luggage.

You can call Princess and they will have water available for your machine. I have found that you don't even have to do that the cabin steward will bring some if you ask him. I have heard that some companies have begun charging for the water although I have not experienced it yet.

Edited by efiinut

Regardless of what everybody has to say about bringing an extension cord, I've never done so, and never had a problem. I just let the room steward know upon boarding, and he always provides a heavy duty, 25' industrial cord. He either runs it down the side of the cabin and under the bed, or if it has to go across the room he tapes it down (at my request) so I don't trip over it.

Its not a big thing, I've never had a problem with this. And that's through many years of cruises.

M.

We notify Princess in writing under special requests that we will need an extension cord. Princess does provide a heavy duty orange cord. We also pack a surge protector 6 plug cord. If the outlet is behind the bed, we usually don't need the Princess cord. If the bedside (that needs the cpap) is next to the desk, we can usually plug it into the outlet there, and use the other sockets for charging our camera battery, ipad, kindle etc.

Understandably, Princess wants to ensure that your cpap cord is not frayed and in good condition, so don't bring a machine that is a fire/safety hazard.

Also, if you require a sharps container, Princess will supply that under your "special requests".

Mary Ellen, I see by your location you are in Colorado. I live in Hawaii and just returned to my job as an airline pilot. I just finished my reindoc training in Denver and was using a full tank of water everynight in my humidifier. Have you tried the humidifier attachments for the Z1? I would like to go back to International flying, but can't imagine sleeping in the relief bunk without my Bipap. At home, or especially on a Cruise, I don't need the humidifier.

Mahalo, Tim

While I've bought the humidifier attachment, I haven't tried using it yet - as I do well without it when traveling. The home CPAP does have a humidifier that I use and goes through about half a tank each night (@ 7,000 ft). Living here, we're pretty adjusted to the arid climate whereas you are adjusted to much greater humidity. I'd hate to predict how you will handle without the humidifier. All I can say is that I used the Z1 on a 787 overnight flight this summer and didn't have any problems not having a humidifier attachment. I don't know how much the touted improved climate on the Dreamliner factored in this.

When I go through the TSA screening the Z1 stays in the bag and hasn't raised an eyebrow the 8 times or so since we bought it. That alone has been a great benefit. Yet, I still see others having to haul out their standard CPAPs out of their bags for further inspection/swabbing.

Thanks

If it is a CPAP supplied by a French company, then you will (probably) have the Euro plug on it. There is a Euro socket under the bed, which often has a light plugged in to it. I just tell the room steward that I will be unplugging the light and not to worry that 'it doesn't work'.

On the one occasion that a Euro socket ws not under the bed (window suite on Grand) there was not a problem getting an extension lead, but I needed a US adapter.

Regardless of what everybody has to say about bringing an extension cord, I've never done so, and never had a problem. I just let the room steward know upon boarding, and he always provides a heavy duty, 25' industrial cord. He either runs it down the side of the cabin and under the bed, or if it has to go across the room he tapes it down (at my request) so I don't trip over it.

Its not a big thing, I've never had a problem with this. And that's through many years of cruises.

M.

My DH uses a CPAC. We too request an extension cord from our cabin steward the moment we board. We have never had an issue getting one.

Been on three Princess cruise in the past two years... never needed an extension cord for my CPAP. I do use my humidifier and Princess will provide distilled water if you request it. I do take a small power outlet with USB connections never had any problems with Princess about its use in our cabin.

If it is a CPAP supplied by a French company, then you will (probably) have the Euro plug on it. There is a Euro socket under the bed, which often has a light plugged in to it. I just tell the room steward that I will be unplugging the light and not to worry that 'it doesn't work'.

On the one occasion that a Euro socket ws not under the bed (window suite on Grand) there was not a problem getting an extension lead, but I needed a US adapter.

That's great about the Euro socket under the bed. I hope that is what is on Caribbean Princess :)