Ship in "drydock" in SF

kubies

They should be repainting the hull for a start. That is the only reason to take it out of the water. They also will be replacing some things on the ship like carpet, maybe beds, etc. No major changes however.

I was hoping for some new dining venues. We'll be on her Jan 13 to Hawaii. I sure hope they have changed the menus to something others than sausages called a different name every day in the buffet.

They should be repainting the hull for a start. That is the only reason to take it out of the water. They also will be replacing some things on the ship like carpet, maybe beds, etc. No major changes however.

I also heard that they're also supposed to do some work on the thrusters and one(?) of the main engines - other stuff that requires "dry"

we too just got off the star princess last week as it headed to dry dock…great trip, great ship, and as always a GREAT princess crew. DONT miss the crab shack. if you like crab and shrimp, its an excellent value for $20.

have a safe cruise!

We were also off the Star before her dry dock. At our second Meet & Greet, we invited Customer Service Director Mario Alberto to speak about their dry dock period. We gave him 10 minutes and he spoke about: 1000 contractors will be fed and housed on the ship. Forty tons of materials and equipment will be loaded as we disembark. Thirty tons of food to feed the contractors and ships crew for 10 days. Twenty thousand yards of carpet was loaded before the Nov. 24 Hawaiian cruise and carpet laying started at mid-night to 8 am, during our 15 days cruise and it was not completed. Also on board was a crew that was wiring the whole ship for Wifi. Inspecting the 6 thrusters, 6 diesel engines, along with some upgrades. Replacing glass panels on deck 14 that were crack. Paint and refinish the wall panels in the Art Gallery. They expect to be finish in 7 to 8 days and then do a half day of sea trials. I'm sure other work was performed during this dry dock. Should be ready for the next Hawaiian Christmas/New Year's cruise.

Did she not go to dry dock in Vancouver? Or was she dry docked in both Vancouver and SFO?

Dry dock SF Pier 70 from Dec 9-19, 2014.

This was just after Hawaii cruise and before our Dec 19th Hawaii cruise.

We were also off the Star before her dry dock. At our second Meet & Greet, we invited Customer Service Director Mario Alberto to speak about their dry dock period. We gave him 10 minutes and he spoke about: 1000 contractors will be fed and housed on the ship. Forty tons of materials and equipment will be loaded as we disembark. Thirty tons of food to feed the contractors and ships crew for 10 days. Twenty thousand yards of carpet was loaded before the Nov. 24 Hawaiian cruise and carpet laying started at mid-night to 8 am, during our 15 days cruise and it was not completed. Also on board was a crew that was wiring the whole ship for Wifi. Inspecting the 6 thrusters, 6 diesel engines, along with some upgrades. Replacing glass panels on deck 14 that were crack. Paint and refinish the wall panels in the Art Gallery. They expect to be finish in 7 to 8 days and then do a half day of sea trials. I'm sure other work was performed during this dry dock. Should be ready for the next Hawaiian Christmas/New Year's cruise.

Great information....thanks for the posting....we will board on the 19th.

Thanks for the info! I was hoping they'd be converting Vines to Alfredo's (although I knew it was unlikely) but it's still good to hear what we can expect to see when we board on Friday.

Thanks for the info! I was hoping they'd be converting Vines to Alfredo's (although I knew it was unlikely) but it's still good to hear what we can expect to see when we board on Friday.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that would like to see that done. That area where they have the cases of Lady Godiva chocolates is a total waste. I'm sure it wouldn't take much to to re-do the entire area with a much smaller bar area and put in Alfredo's. (Oh well, guess we can dream:)) They could still have a "Vines" and also have the Alfredo's.

Edited by BJS

we too just got off the star princess last week as it headed to dry dock…great trip, great ship, and as always a GREAT princess crew. DONT miss the crab shack. if you like crab and shrimp, its an excellent value for $20.

have a safe cruise!

Do yo know source where the crab and shrimp come from? Asia, or USA/Mexico?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...