Rome Excursions

Newcruiser1996

Very easy to do your own thing.

Regular trains from Civitavecchia to Termini in Rome or if you want the Vatican the stop before. Its very cheap on the train.

Just leave a safety time gap for getting back. We usually get off the ship as early as possible and leave Rome around 3:30pm.

The train is a good cheap way to get to Rome, for about 10 euro you get a return ticket and use of bus and Metro in Rome, We have done it a few times with no problems - free shuttle to port gate and short walk to station, you can be in Rome by 9.

However in 2014 the port moved the shuttle dropoff point to a different place, further away from the station due to building work in the port. If you consider using the train I would investigate the port shuttle further to see where it is dropping off.

Rome is the one place I would stick with P and O, because of the distance. I am aware of people who have missed the ship because of transport failures on more than one cruise I've been on! Last time I went we left three quarters of an hour late because one of the coaches was delayed, but we did wait for it!

If you do a P and O tour and are a good walker, I recommend "Roam around Rome". You get to see all the main sights on foot, and have a guide with one of those sets of earphones apiece so you can hear everything. Our guide was superb. There is also a long lunch break giving you time to leave the main Square (Navona) and seek out the lovely little places in the back streets for a local lunch.

The only drawback is that you don't get much time in the Vatican but it's a very good overview if Rome is new to you. I've also done a tour which gives you all afternoon there but cannot remember what that one was called..

Any recommendations of things to do in Rome? Is it worth doing an excursion through P&O or out own thing? Thanks!

We caught the train from Civitavecchia got to Rome a lot quicker then the P&O tour buses, once there we did a open top bus tour of the city, then stopped for a couple of drinks and jump back on the train to Civitavecchia getting back on board to watch the P&O tour buses arrive back:)

We went with Rome in Limo on our first visit to Rome and this was brilliant and cheaper than the cruise ship tours - we were taken to all the top sights - collesium, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and the driver was very good and explained what everything was, we had lunch in a pizza restaurant and then spent the afternoon in the Vatican. (You did have to book the tickets for the collesium and Vatican yourself before the cruise though). The second time we went we decided to catch the train from Civitavechia and do our own thing - it was very hot and crowded and we only managed to see a few sights as we were worried about catching the train back in time for the ship. I strongly suggest doing a guided tour on your first visit. It is very beautiful though.

We did the Rome on your own. It dropped us off at the Vatican and we got a taxi to the Coliseum. Had a look round the Forum and Coliseum, then walked past the huge white monument back to the Vatican. We then had a quick look around the church part of the Vatican - not the museums. It was well worth the money and we felt safe knowing that we would get back to the ship with the excursion.

Alternatively, why not have a relaxing day on board - the ship is nice and quiet with most passengers on shore.

Then do Rome for a couple of days some other time, via a low cost airline.

If there is one place in the world where you don't stay on the ship this is it....

We visited last summer. 7 people were late back. Our captain gave up his place in the queue to leave the port and we waited for an hour or two. During that time, 5 of the passengers came screeching up in taxis, but we left without the final two!

I was pleased we had used the P and O coach to get into the city!

Edited by starryuk

I always take the train to/from Rome from Civitavecchia - and plan to be back at Civitavecchia at least 90 minutes before "back on board" time. I always seem meet a few of the ship's crew on the train from Rome so I think I've got the timing about right :o

Being me I always have a plan 'B': I also carry a mobile phone that I know works in Italy, on it are programmed the phone numbers of a few taxi companies, just in case there are problems with the train service. So far the trains are 100% reliable - always about 10 minutes late to Civitavecchia :rolleyes:

VP

last year we sailed with Princess. We did a Med Cruise & visited Rome & booked our trip with Cruising Excursions. Much cheaper than Princess were asking & a great day. We also got our tickets for the Vatican Museum from them too.

would def use them again

Just agreeing with the need to factor in delays in transport when you plan your day in Rome.

We were in Rome for a weekend stay in October and there were huge hold ups on the roads and in the centre with various events. Many roads were blocked off for various reasons and the trains and metro were very crowded.

So if you are not going with a ship's excursion, do make sure you leave plenty of time.

• 2 weeks later...
What other trips suggestions , if any , re there from this port ? We have spent a long weekend in Rome , and dont fancy a long trek into a place that needs a longer visit

I am booked on Ventura in Sept/Oct and on another thread we have been talking about this. (Average cost of excursions etc....currenly being posted on). I am looking at Tarquinia and/or Tuscania, these are a couple of alternatives that P and O usually offer, but am unsure of their costings. I am, of course, looking for comparable options without spending so much money :D

The public transport system seems reliable from Civitavecchia and there are tour companies advertising widely on the net, so am doing my homework.

Tarquinia is a very pleasant place to visit. You can catch the bus from just around the corner from the port gates although I think they've now moved where the port bus drops you off. Very cheap but getting the tickets was a bit of a hassle... we belatedly found out that the Birg tickets were sold at the tourist info point near the port gates.

Tarquinia is a very pleasant place to visit. You can catch the bus from just around the corner from the port gates although I think they've now moved where the port bus drops you off. Very cheap but getting the tickets was a bit of a hassle... we belatedly found out that the Birg tickets were sold at the tourist info point near the port gates.

Hi, yes I know about the BIRG tickets. They are different from the Rome BIRG tickets which are 12 euros. I think the Tarquinia ones are only about 3 euros. Is Tarquinia the place with the Etruscan tombs as well as a lido/waterpark?? Im trying to absorb information from so many sites my brain is starting to scramble :o

Will visiting on a Sunday make a difference to visiting smaller, off the beaten track places? (Sunday/day of rest/family day?)

Civitavecchia is going to be busy the day we are there. We will be one of 5 liners in that day.

We have been in Rome on a Sunday - a lot of the streets were closed to traffic because of parades. There was a special mass on in St Peter's Square and the city was very crowded. I don't know if this was typical of a Sunday in Rome?

Hi, yes I know about the BIRG tickets. They are different from the Rome BIRG tickets which are 12 euros. I think the Tarquinia ones are only about 3 euros. Is Tarquinia the place with the Etruscan tombs as well as a lido/waterpark?? Im trying to absorb information from so many sites my brain is starting to scramble :o

Will visiting on a Sunday make a difference to visiting smaller, off the beaten track places? (Sunday/day of rest/family day?)

Civitavecchia is going to be busy the day we are there. We will be one of 5 liners in that day.

Yes, Tarquinia has the Etruscan tombs although we didn't go to them during our visit (the rest of the place is worth visiting in it's own right).

Going DIY on a Sunday may well be problematic. There are very few buses on this route on Sundays... you can find a timetable on the Cotral site although you may need to run it through a translator.