What's wrong with the Grand ??

wilfros

I posted this on the other thread, but after reading this question, thought I'd post it here too.

We were on the Grand in November. We had a very nice crew, but I think many of them went home the day we disembarked. There was a wonderful server in the Piazza, Lydia, who was so personable and greeted me with a hug after a few days. Our cabin steward was one of the best we've had. The band in the Wheelhouse was excellent for ballroom dancing and so was the one in Explorers. I did not enjoy the CD, very blah personality. The food was very good but never hot enough in the dining room or the buffet.

E605 was a great obstructed cabin with very little obstruction. The closet is too small, but like everyone else, we managed. (Pam, we took good care of the cabin for you) Never saw a rude passenger.. The best part is we had Elua entertaining and being our Hawaiian ambassadors. They make the cruise so enjoyable. Many participated in the hula classes and ukulele classes.

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

We pretty much always go for the owner’s suite and enjoy it.

The first night we have dinner at the Crowne Grille.[/color]

The next morning we call the dine line and make reservations for a two-top @ 7:00 PM in the Michelangelo Dining Room. We always get it.

If we like the table and the servers, we stop at the desk and tell the Captain or Head Waiter, that we enjoyed the table and the service and would like to have the same table every night. I have never been turned down. If we are not going to be there for dinner one night I always tell them the night before.

I do not understand why people complain about a long wait for ATD. All you need to do is call the dine line and make a reservation.

Works for us.

It's a lot easier to get a dinner reservation when you stay in a suite than it is for other cabins. On our recent Golden sailing, they would only make reservations at 5:45 or 8:00. When I mentioned that we were in a suite, all of a sudden I could have any time I wanted.

I honestly would take the Grand over some of the newer ships such as Crown, Emerald, or Ruby. Better space ratio and I prefer some of the spaces better (Vista Lounge over Club Fusion).

I have been on the Grand a lot, though not since Skywalkers has been removed. I have always thought she was a great ship.

I would sail her again over the newer ships.

Edited by Coral

My second Princess cruise was on the Grand, this past April. We had a perfectly lovely time and no problem with ATD. We did call the dine line each morning. Thought the ship was lovely. We are pretty laid back and tend to roll with the punches. Perfection is not what we're after, just a relaxing and interesting trip.

We were on the Grand in November for 10 days to Mexico.

There is nothing wrong with the Grand. I agree the One Five Club is a poor replacement for Skywalkers.

The Grand did have an IC and MUTS if you are into that.

The problem I had after reading so many negative reviews I started looking for problems. And guess what I found a few in terms of maintenance. The ship is older. However, if i hadn't read the negative reviews I would not have looked problems and would not have noticed any problems.

We were on the Grand in November for 10 days to Mexico.

There is nothing wrong with the Grand. I agree the One Five Club is a poor replacement for Skywalkers.

The Grand did have an IC and MUTS if you are into that.

The problem I had after reading so many negative reviews I started looking for problems. And guess what I found a few in terms of maintenance. The ship is older. However, if i hadn't read the negative reviews I would not have looked problems and would not have noticed any problems.

Agree. We were on her in October an thought the staff great and we were very happy with the food. Some great cuts of beef. She is not the newest in the fleet but we thought she looked fine.

I'm trying Princess for the first time in 22 days on the Grand princess, I hope its a nice ship. Do you have the link from the original posting with all the negative comments? I've noticed so far the roll call is pretty boring compared to my past carnival cruises. It looks like its going to be an older crowd which doesn't really excite me much:rolleyes:. I'm by no means young (late 30's) but would prefer not to hang out and chat with 70 year olds!!

AZmike480

ouch!! just wait boy, you WILL get old ;):rolleyes:

I had a great sailing on the Grand in September - I actually really like One5 (and the outdoor area just aft of it - actually one of my favorite spots on any Princess ship)

Alfredo's is great, the smaller Vines works OK. I dislike the steam and sauna being on-deck rather than in the locker rooms, but that's endemic on Star and Golden too.

For us, the small closets on the Grand and the lack of a regularly-accessible central stairwell above deck 7 are annoyances. Likewise we are mildly unhappy about the Skywalkers-ectomy; the views from Skywalkers were much better than are the views from One5. Offsetting those drawbacks, Alfredo's is excellent, and -- most importantly -- the absence of the Riviera deck and its approx. 500 extra pax from the Grand (and sister-ships Golden and Star) is a big advantage. We have not had much problem with lineups for ATD on the Grand or Star, in contrast to the newer ships with the extra deck and the associated poorer space ratios. We have encountered some other problems on the Grand, but those were very likely specific to the officers and crew aboard then, and no longer relevant.

We would happily cruise on the Grand again. If other things were equal (though of course they rarely are), we would choose the Grand or Star or Golden (or the Diamond or Sapphire) over the enlarged ships with their consistently poorer (lower) space-ratios.

John

Edited by J-D

It's a lot easier to get a dinner reservation when you stay in a suite than it is for other cabins. On our recent Golden sailing, they would only make reservations at 5:45 or 8:00. When I mentioned that we were in a suite, all of a sudden I could have any time I wanted.

On the 9/28 sailing of the Golden, I was told no reservations, period, for ATD that cruise. I wasn't in a suite, but nobody even asked my cabin # as I recall.

I'm trying Princess for the first time in 22 days on the Grand princess, I hope its a nice ship. Do you have the link from the original posting with all the negative comments? I've noticed so far the roll call is pretty boring compared to my past carnival cruises. It looks like its going to be an older crowd which doesn't really excite me much:rolleyes:. I'm by no means young (late 30's) but would prefer not to hang out and chat with 70 year olds!!

AZmike480

Try Disney. You might even get some mouse ears in the onboard give shop.

Sent from my D2-927G using Forums mobile app

We did a 10-day on the Grand last year and had read many postings about her somewhat declining condition which gave us some trepidation.

All for naught! She was in fine shape - and we loved the Piazza, IC, Alfredo's, etc., etc., etc.

Our next Princess cruise is on the Pacific (want to try a small ship while they're still there...) for our dream cruise in French Polynesia for our 40th.

Because we loved the Grand a Hawaii RT cruise on her may be our Princess cruise after the Pacific.

ouch!! just wait boy, you WILL get old ;):rolleyes:

If you are lucky.;)

However, he won't have any friends because he will be over 70 and thus not worth talking to. I always wonder why people post on a board they know has a certain demographic and then proceed to insult them. Maybe he'll learn some manners when he grows up.

AZmike480

Maybe go on a Carnival or Disney cruise instead? The demographics would be more in line with what you are looking for. BTW: unless you have discovered a magic elixer that will keep you from aging, YOU TOO will get old. Maybe you'll be lucky enough to make it to 70.

But it is true, you'll find many in thier 70's and beyond on Princess. A look into your future perhaps?

Good luck. Hope you don't mind rubbing elbows with all the old farts on your cruise. Some of them can be quite interesting. :D

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Wow it looks like a struck a nerve with the elderly, so let me clear things up a bit for those upset by my comments. :D

One day I too will be old and retired and I plan to sail around the world enjoy the life that comes with no longer working. I envy those that already have that opportunity and I hope I live long enough to experience it.

All my previous cruises have been on carnival so I've gotten used to people watching a large demographic ranging from diapers to diapers :D. I appreciate chatting with people in my age range because we have more in common. For example working, technology, sports, among other things. This doesn't mean I don't enjoy speaking with the elderly as I was taught to be respectful and learn from there vast knowledge at a young age.;)

I attend on being Optimistic on this cruise that's why I decided to try this cruise line in the first place. I'm assuming the demographic will most likely be the same on this cruise as cruises in my past. I'm only sharing my opinion so far based on the roll call for the cruise I'm scheduled for.

AZmike480

Interesting reading all the comments. We are booked on the Grand for Jan. 17 (Mexico). Have only sailed Princess once previously, but we loved the Coral for our Panama Partial Transit itinerary.

I just like the fact that Princess has a cigar lounge, something Carnival didn't have.

Wow it looks like a struck a nerve with the elderly, so let me clear things up a bit for those upset by my comments. :D

One day I too will be old and retired and I plan to sail around the world enjoy the life that comes with no longer working. I envy those that already have that opportunity and I hope I live long enough to experience it.

All my previous cruises have been on carnival so I've gotten used to people watching a large demographic ranging from diapers to diapers :D. I appreciate chatting with people in my age range because we have more in common. For example working, technology, sports, among other things. This doesn't mean I don't enjoy speaking with the elderly as I was taught to be respectful and learn from there vast knowledge at a young age.;)

I attend on being Optimistic on this cruise that's why I decided to try this cruise line in the first place. I'm assuming the demographic will most likely be the same on this cruise as cruises in my past. I'm only sharing my opinion so far based on the roll call for the cruise I'm scheduled for.

AZmike480

Excuse me....70 is not OLD! More in common you say....hmmm....gee I know technology, sports whatever you would like to talk about. You are just digging yourself a big hole here on this forum!:D

Excuse me....70 is not OLD! More in common you say....hmmm....gee I know technology, sports whatever you would like to talk about. You are just digging yourself a big hole here on this forum!:D

No matter what I say I here someone will have something to complain about:D The joys of cruise critic!!;)

AZmike480

I hope none of those old geezers touch you and get their old cooties all over you. :eek: Everyone knows that as soon as someone turns 70, he becomes boring and had nothing interesting to say. :rolleyes: I can see you are going to have all kinds of fun on that cruise, what with your optimistic attitude.

Honestly, they are spot on with their assessment.

Does a 30 year old want to hear about what life was like before the polio vaccine and how 4 of someone's siblings were in an iron lung?

Listen to folks talk fondly of how frugal they (and their parents) are by keeping money in the mattress and not a bank as they still don't trust banks after the collapse in '29?

Play table tennis with someone who they can beat holding the paddle in their weak hand?

No.

As we age, we take our age with us and don't see ourselves as old but the world doesn't afford us that luxury.

Really.

Does a 30 year old want to hear about what life was like before the polio vaccine and how 4 of someone's siblings were in an iron lung?

Listen to folks talk fondly of how frugal they (and their parents) are by keeping money in the mattress and not a bank as they still don't trust banks after the collapse in '29?

Play table tennis with someone who they can beat holding the paddle in their weak hand?

No.

As we age, we take our age with us and don't see ourselves as old but the world doesn't afford us that luxury.

Really.

Of course these are the ONLY things a person over 70 talks about. :rolleyes: I sure hope I don't get stuck talking to Harrison Ford, or Martha Stewart, or Ringo Starr, or heaven forbid, Mick Jagger. Then again, it might be interesting to hear how Mick keeps his money in his mattress.

Methinks you stereotype much.

No.

Really.

quite true!

AZmike480