Another NEW Carnival Ship Ordered

Captain Carnival

Just further evidence that currents ports Tampa and Jacksonville will be phased into obscurity.

If cruise ship pax (especially newer ones) stopped demanding ever larger ships, and the cruise lines designed smaller ships (70,000 GT ton range), with balconies and nice amenities, this will not happen. Sadly, cruise lines are all about "economies of scale" and they want huge ships. There are still many out there who do not enjoy 4-5,000 pax behemoths. For many, bigger is not always better.

If cruise ship pax (especially newer ones) stopped demanding ever larger ships, and the cruise lines designed smaller ships (70,000 GT ton range), with balconies and nice amenities, this will not happen. Sadly, cruise lines are all about "economies of scale" and they want huge ships. There are still many out there who do not enjoy 4-5,000 pax behemoths. For many, bigger is not always better.

Trust me, the size demand is on the cruise line side (versus their customer) for the obvious reasons. While consumers want more bells and whistles, size is not one of the significant item showing up on the wish list.

Richard Branson (Virgin) will be building new ships. I doubt he has any interest in purchasing old tonnage as witnessed here:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-03-04/will-virgins-cruise-ships-succeed-in-luring-cruise-virgins

They do have a rumored deal for new ships (may have also signed a LOI but I have not seen it). That being said, the only way he would play (with the concept of Fantasy class ship acquisition) would be to get into the market sooner (buy and redo like was done with the Holiday).

Hopefully with either the Vista or this new ship, one of them comes to NY to compete with NCL Breakaway. The Splendor is ok, but lacks certain things the breakaway has

I doubt they will waste a new ship NY. Move the old ones there and put the news ones down south.

If Tampa ends up being unable to compete from the failure of future proofing their operation and preventing the current issues encountered from the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, that is nobody's fault but the Port of Tampa. Eventually Carnival will have to sell or scrap their current Fantasy class vessels as they won't be modern or competitive when compared to other ships. Royal Caribbean saw this coming and had already sold their three Soverign class ships to prevent saturating their market even further and to keep their fleet more in line with the image they want to be recognized by. If down the line Carnival wishes to associate itself with ships you would expect to see on the Bahamas Celebration, that is Carnival's choice.

WEll SAID!!!!!!

New big ships coming from RCI, Carnival, Celebrity, HAL, MSC, and Norwegian within the next 48 months or so, give or take. Should be very interesting to watch all the new builds and see new features and innovations. Caribbean ports are scrambling to be able to accomodate these ships.

As are many, or will be, here in the USA!

I think US ports are being cautious about throwing too much taxpayer dollars or subsidies are corporations that largely skirt US labor laws and pay little to no income taxes in the U.S. A lot was invested to modernize Bayonne (honestly, it really was needed - the old setup was like a bombed out WWII warehouse) and the latest and greatest ship is leaving for China in just 5 months.

As long as Carnival can sail from the east coast of Florida and Galveston I do not think they are so concerned about other US ports

Questions such as....when or what size vessels will replace the aging Fantasy class vessels that can sail underneath the low bridges in Port Tampa Bay and Jacksonville?

But nevertheless we welcome the addition of Vista's sister ship (Carnival Seascape?) to our growing fleet!

True quote from my mom while speaking about Tampa sailings and it's limitations:

Mom: "They should should just dredge the bay deeper!"

Me: "How would that help?? A ship floats on the surface."

Mom: "But if it's made deeper, the water has a place to go and the water level will drop... taller ships can then go under."

LOL :D

This is great news which I expected. Look for the transferring or selling of one or two if the Fantasy class in the next few years.

I can see this happening too, and given the lack of work done in public areas on Elation's drydock that it just completed I am betting she'll be on the auction block.

In my mind the Paradise is the wildcard, it's the only other one that has not received updated room interiors other than the Elation. All of the other Fantasy class ships have received some things in the way of public space upgrades in recent years, but Elation does not have the water park, still has the slide that drops into the main pool, and there were obvious repairs even in public spaces that did not occur during drydock.

That being said, we REALLY enjoyed our cruise on the Elation a couple of weeks ago, and have booked on it for the same time frame next year.

I can see this happening too, and given the lack of work done in public areas on Elation's drydock that it just completed I am betting she'll be on the auction block.

In my mind the Paradise is the wildcard, it's the only other one that has not received updated room interiors other than the Elation. All of the other Fantasy class ships have received some things in the way of public space upgrades in recent years, but Elation does not have the water park, still has the slide that drops into the main pool, and there were obvious repairs even in public spaces that did not occur during drydock.

That being said, we REALLY enjoyed our cruise on the Elation a couple of weeks ago, and have booked on it for the same time frame next year.

Paradise and Elation are the two newest Fantastic class. They are actually newer than the "all new" Sunshine. That said, they are the only two Fantasy class that have azipods. Maybe they are more expensive to maintain? Who knows? The little gang of eight are on borrowed time, any way you look at them.

I agree, my entire feeling from this is that those Azipods are the long-term reason they are not receiving the upgrades that the older ships have had for quite a while.

What is interesting is the renderings of the Vista class ships show Azipod propulsion, but I imagine that the Azipods of today are completely different beasts compared to the Azipods that were installed on the Elation which were the first Azipod systems ever installed on a cruise ship.

Paradise and Elation are the two newest Fantastic class. They are actually newer than the "all new" Sunshine. That said, they are the only two Fantasy class that have azipods. Maybe they are more expensive to maintain? Who knows? The little gang of eight are on borrowed time, any way you look at them.

The other way to look at that is they sure got their money's worth out of the Fantasy class.

And will continue to do so in the foreseeable future until a "new" class comes along such as a Fantasy/Spirit class hybrid.

Bye someday, but now anytime soon, sadly. At any rate, we will have these two new beautiful ships to look forward to. Can't wait till the New York event to get more info. Everything I do get will be posted here.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Are there any renderings from the Vista available?

There was a poster supplying some stuff on the Vista sub board, but he was attacked, challenged, and eventually left. They were the ones that apparently were supplying the Sunshine updates as well. Not sure why they were deemed uncredible.