Quantum of the seas nickel and dime-ing going too far?

jtyw

No offense and for the lack of any other saying...."says you".

So what you're saying is all these new customers or once in a while cruisers are being treated poorly. Come on now.

I'm sure some gold, platinum, emerald amd diamond folks are thrilled. Even folks that have no C&A membership at all are probably ecstatic to just step on board.

They are building bigger ships because so many like the basic product.

You do know how you sound? Be happy you can cruise at all!!

No, that is not what I said. Reread my statement

I was just off the Quantum, and while I can't comment on room service (I never use it), I did see a "24 Hour Grill" at the Windjammer....

And also open all night is the Cafe Promenade on Deck Four....

I was on the Dec 1-12 Quantum and neither the Windjammer or Cafe Promenade were open all night. This didn't bother me so much for food but it did bother me that I couldn't get any coffee till 6am.

I was afraid this may be a new policy for the entire fleet but perhaps it was a temporary thing for our cruise. I'm an early riser and not being able to find at least a cup of coffee anywhere on the two future cruises we have planned next year (not the Quantum) is not going to set well with me.

I was on the Dec 1-12 Quantum and neither the Windjammer or Cafe Promenade were open all night. This didn't bother me so much for food but it did bother me that I couldn't get any coffee till 6am.

I was afraid this may be a new policy for the entire fleet but perhaps it was a temporary thing for our cruise. I'm an early riser and not being able to find at least a cup of coffee anywhere on the two future cruises we have planned next year (not the Quantum) is not going to set well with me.

So the Cafe Promenade is not open all night AND they charge for room service at night plus the charge per item? I think it is a good thing that I like the Voyager, Freedom, and Oasis class ships so much because I don't think that I'm going to be on this one any time soon.

Royal was advertising the expanded Windjammer with all day breakfast items and 24 hour service. Wonder why that got changed?

Royal was advertising the expanded Windjammer with all day breakfast items and 24 hour service. Wonder why that got changed?

Yes, and it's still up on their website. But if Bob Brown is right they have reverted back to the the 24hr policy on his cruise which was after ours.

On our Dec 1 cruise us early risers looked liked zombies roaming around the ship looking for our morning jo.

We have 2 cruises planned next year so I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope they don't force me to start packing my instant coffee and sterno burner:)j.k.

Yes, and it's still up on their website. But if Bob Brown is right they have reverted back to the the 24hr policy on his cruise which was after ours.

On our Dec 1 cruise us early risers looked liked zombies roaming around the ship looking for our morning jo.

We have 2 cruises planned next year so I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope they don't force me to start packing my instant coffee and sterno burner:)j.k.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2137662&page=5

"After dinner we headed to our favorite venue...the Music Hall for the part 2 of Groovy Town. Hubby has really been stepping out of his box on this cruise as he was dancing up a storm, so much so that we were one of three couples selected for the chic la freak dance off. While we came in second place all three couples received some pretty neat gift baskets with all sorts of Royal Caribbean logo items. Very Exciting! Jimmy did a great job engaging the guest and getting them out on the dance floor.

After dancing the night away we headed up to the Windjammer to grab a snack from the 24 hour grill. This is a real hidden secret as it took us 9 days to find out that the grill was really opened 24 hours. I had french fries for the first time this sailing and the hubby made himself some sort of wrap with grill chicken and veggies. They had a nice selection of snacks available."

Edit - I see you just posted on Andrea's review the above.

Edited by Hoopster95

So the Cafe Promenade is not open all night AND they charge for room service at night plus the charge per item? I think it is a good thing that I like the Voyager, Freedom, and Oasis class ships so much because I don't think that I'm going to be on this one any time soon.

It's interesting how an incorrect statement from a cruiser who was supposedly there in the flesh can create widespread negative remarks. I think this was very typical pre-Q sailings by everyone who had absolutely no clue nor experience with anything to do with Quantum and was bashing it with zero proof or truth, which was massively amplified by the issue-filled TA.

LMaxwell... tsk tsk... you should know better! ;):p

Merry Christmas to all you guys :D:D:D

Edited by Hoopster95

It's interesting how an incorrect statement from a cruiser who was supposedly there in the flesh can create widespread negative remarks. I think this was very typical pre-Q sailings by everyone who had absolutely no clue nor experience with anything to do with Quantum and was bashing it with zero proof or truth, which was massively amplified by the issue-filled TA.

LMaxwell... tsk tsk... you should know better! ;)[emoji14]

Merry Christmas to all you guys :D:D:D

What should I know better? This wasn't the first report I had read saying Windjammer was not open 24 hours. Even Cruise Compasses posted here from Quantum seem to suggest the Windjammer closes. I didn't take the line of bashing the cruise line but rather asking of something had changed. If there is a 24 hour section or station I am curious to know about it.

Edited by LMaxwell

What should I know better? This wasn't the first report I had read saying Windjammer was not open 24 hours. Even Cruise Compasses posted here from Quantum seem to suggest the Windjammer closes. I didn't take the line of bashing the cruise line but rather asking of something had changed. If there is a 24 hour section or station I am curious to know about it.

Definitely was NOT open 24 hours on Independence in November - I know as I was waiting outside a few minutes before 7 one morning for them to open the doors so I could get coffee & a couple muffins.

Definitely was NOT open 24 hours on Independence in November - I know as I was waiting outside a few minutes before 7 one morning for them to open the doors so I could get coffee & a couple muffins.

Not to be demeaning or anything, but you may not know that we are on the Quantum forum here, and many things on Quantum are totally different than all other ships int the entire RCL fleet... which includes the Windjammer.

Here's one of the compasses which I took a photo of:

"The following Services and Venues are open 24 hours.... Windjammer Grill, Deck 14"

DSC02822_zpse1c96f51.jpg

Also note LoutheGlue's review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2133545&page=11

Start at post #208. He posted every compass in order from day 1 through the final day 11... each one shows Windjammer open 24 hours every day.

Goes to show you regarding bad information... I reported only 4 computers to use on the entire ship in my review, and just read another review repeating this info as well in the last day. Well, look at my photo above. I had no clue RCOnline had computers in the card room!! I remember walking by the Card Room and not bothering with a picture or even going inside as it was a small little room right beside the restaurants in a very weird secluded location, I didn't even remember where it is as I just had to look it up on the deck plans just now. So as informed as I'd hoped I'd be to check everything out, obviously I've supplied CC'ers wrong info as well.

Not to be demeaning or anything, but you may not know that we are on the Quantum forum here, and many things on Quantum are totally different than all other ships int the entire RCL fleet... which includes the Windjammer.

Uh, yeah, I'm aware of the forum I'm on, as well as the title of the thread, etc.

In post #78 it was mentioned that maybe "the change is fleetwide" and in post #80 LMaxwell references a page on the website, which I think (but could be wrong) is not ship-specific. I was replying to those posts. In addition, at least Oasis, Freedom & Serenade have been mentioned at various times in the thread. But thanks for the useful information. ;)

Since I'm apparently the one who opened up the can of worms about the Windjammer not being open let me try to close the can.

Andrea Lynn in another post stated that it wasn't until day 9 of the cruise that she became aware that the Windjammer was open 24hrs. I believe she said something about it being a ship secret.

My wife and I spent the whole 11 days not knowing that it was open. Why? For one, the Daily Planner stated that it closed at 9pm for Dinner and Coffee and made no mention at all of it being open for snacks. Secondly I went there for coffee early at around 530 in the morning after finding the Promenade closed and found both doors closed. It wasn't till the last morning of the cruise that a fellow cruiser told me that you could get in via a side door by the Coastal. Another ship secret I guess;)

So after reading Andrea's post I pulled out our saved Cruise Compasses and on the back page found the reference about the Windjammer being open 24hrs. Stupid me and who knows how many other people for trusting the info in the Daily Planner:D

Now that everyone knows the Windjammer is open 24hrs perhaps we can put the subject to rest.

Looks as if Jimmers has both summed up and cleared up the confusion and controversy above.

On the Quantum innaugural, the Windjammer "appeared" to be closed at times when the 24 hour Grill section was actually open. The 24-hour grill is in the middle of the Windjammer, and not visible from the doors. The sections of the buffet that were closed would often be cordoned off, making it look like the entire Windjammer was closed.

The confusion was compounded by the fact that the cruise compass listed opening and closing hours for the Windjammer, as Jimmers also mentioned above.

If you disregarded the compass, ignored the ropes blocking off the majority of the Windjammer, and wandered into the middle of the nearly deserted room, you would find the 24 hour grill. Guess it was a bit of a ship's secret and seems to continue to be to this day. [emoji87]