New to Celebrity

notthatpaulyd

Hey CC -

Happy Holidays!

I am a relatively new, but annual cruiser, and have now sailed with RCI, Carnival, and NCL.

I really loved my time on Allure and on Getaway, but could have done without the Liberty.

My cruises typically look like this:

- Get up and eat breakfast (with a Mimosa)

- Get a bucket of beers and enjoy the pool and poolside entertainment

- Get dinner (I loved the ability to get a table for 2 on demand with NCL)

- Enjoy entertainment with drinks (I love the game shows, and obviously loved The Quest on RCL, and also loved Howl at the Moon on NCL)

What is the "flagship" ship for Celebrity? I love being on the biggest and best ships around!

What are the general experiential differences between the three lines (X, NCL, RCL)?

For perspective - we are a couple (29) traveling with another couple.

Thanks for the help!!

Reflection will be the biggest and newest ship for some time. A newer, but smaller ship is planned for 2018 and 2020.

Entertainment will include game shows which will be fun, but I'm general, entertainment will be a bit more sedate. A mix of background and live music at the martini bar, a band in the atrium, a production show in the theater, a DJ In the sky lounge. Many sailings include Sin City comedy shows which include some burlesque and other performance parties, do a search for liquid and indulgence. Depending on when you sail, there may be a new show just launched called imagic.

If you have a drink packages, you'll be getting one beer at a time, otherwise your daily plan should work find. You may occasionally wait for a table for 2 at select dining. All other dining options in the evening except for the Buffet come with an added extra fee of $7 (current price) to $50 with most restaurant on Reflextion being $35-$50 per person.

As far as general difference, many will answer, but the best is to read threads and reports from sailings on each line to get a feel, sail without too much hard expectations except to have a good time and form your own opinions.

Happy sailimg,

Jenna

Were going on our first Celebrity cruise to Alaska on the Soltice, in 2016. After 3 Carnival cruises we felt like there was something missing and after hearing wonderful things about Celebrity on Cruise radio we felt like it was time to book.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Celebrity in general is a different experience from your other cruises --- more sedate, elegant, dignified. The dress code is followed pretty closely, with 2 formal nights and 5 smart casual on a 7 day cruise (although some people do avoid formal wear by dining in the buffet or specialty restaurants.) This is a big change especially from NCL, where anything goes most of the time. Entertainment is good but not as extensive or risqué as you'll find on some of the other lines. No Quest or Howl at the Moon, no belly flop contests or other lively pool games during the day. Where Celebrity shines is their food and service, both are top notch. But I do think you should prepare yourselves for a more low key ambiance than you have found on Carnival, NCL and Royal. We love Celebrity but do wish they would kick the entertainment up a notch.

We've sailed all 3 lines that you have numerous times plus 20+ on Celebrity.

I really do believe that you will find much more alike than different. That isn't to say that there aren't differences, but honestly, place me in a MDR on a night other than a formal night (and even sometimes then) and I defy you to tell me whether you are on NCL or Celebrity. We simply have not found, in over 200 days on Celebrity (especially recently) to find this "elegant and dignified" atmosphere that is heads and shoulders over competing lines. For heavens sake, the number one topic, by a huge margin, on the Celebrity board is drink packages!

If you go on Celebrity expecting to have a good time, the chances are good that you will. If you go thinking that you will be enjoying good food and very good service, chances are you will (especially in the MDR as opposed to NCL. NCL's specialties are every bit as good as Celebrity, though, and about half the price). If you go expecting a sea change of difference (especially if you sail in the Caribbean) I am afraid you will be disappointed. Celebrity is a mass market line, nothing more, albeit a pretty darn good one.

Do you prefer Concierge Class or AQ?

Expectations and experiences are personal. Ask 100 different people, and you'll get 200 different answers. There are so many value proposition variables, it will vary for everyone.

As far as saying you'd never sail with any line, there are certainly situations where we'd sail with just about any line, based on itinerary, cabin, price, etc, etc. There are of course trade off, the key is once you're onboard to tailor your vacation to your likes and dislikes. You may pay less for one crusie line, but have to pay for drinks, or maybe the dining isn't good in the free restaurants, so you plan to dine in specialty every night.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Based upon your original post I would suggest you begin with the Reflection. It is Celebrity's newest ship and I have been on her twice in the last two years and had a great time. This ship is well designed and beautiful in my opinion. A drink package on Celebrity is a must based on your stated normal cruise day. I believe you will find less pool deck entertainment on Celebrity than you have on Carnival based on several Carnival cruises in the past. I have never sailed NCL so I have no basis for comparison.

When I am trying to compare the entertainment on the two lines I usually say electric guitars are more likely found on Carnival and acoustic guitars and small ensemble groups are more likely found on Celebrity. I found their main dining room experience to be similar in atmosphere and service, but Celebrity has a more adventuresome menu. The daily programs for both lines are heavy on product shows and selling opportunities, but Celebrity does have an enrichment series of lectures on some cruises and ships which can be interesting based on the topic. Hope this helps. Happy Cruising!

Hey CC -

Happy Holidays!

I am a relatively new, but annual cruiser, and have now sailed with RCI, Carnival, and NCL.

I really loved my time on Allure and on Getaway, but could have done without the Liberty.

- Enjoy entertainment with drinks (I love the game shows, and obviously loved The Quest on RCL, and also loved Howl at the Moon on NCL)

What is the "flagship" ship for Celebrity? I love being on the biggest and best ships around!

What are the general experiential differences between the three lines (X, NCL, RCL)?

Thanks for the help!!

1)Reflection is the current flagship.

2)Probably can get a mimosa at breakfast.

3)One beer at at time! You're not at home watching the game!

4)You may be able to score a 2 top table, if you have select dining

5)I'll be honest, that trashy to me, which is why I'd never cruise those lines.Celebrity is quite a bit more sedate than that, especially on Solstice class ships.You'll need a few decent shirts, a sport coat(tie optional, but bring one!)decent shoes. Shorts are NOT acceptable at night in the MDR & you will be turned away.

5)I'll be honest, that trashy to me, which is why I'd never cruise those lines.Celebrity is quite a bit more sedate than that, especially on Solstice class ships.You'll need a few decent shirts, a sport coat(tie optional, but bring one!)decent shoes. Shorts are NOT acceptable at night in the MDR & you will be turned away.

My guess is that the OP ordered a bucket of beers as it is cheaper on those lines to order a bucket rather than single beers. Additionally, please don't judge those of us that enjoy things like "Quest" or Howl at the Moon. There is a time and place for everything as well as a variety of options so everyone can find what they are looking for.

To the OP, with the classic drink package, you will easily be able to get a mimosa at breakfast and then order your beers as you want them. You stated you are traveling with another couple, will you want a table for 2 or 4? The table for 4 should be easier to get than the 2, but it is definitely easier during select dining. In terms of what I call "finding the party" (I am early 30s for reference), a lot of it depends on when you sail. There are more options and more of a party vibe during certain periods of the year. Additionally, I have found that the entertainment varies overall. On one X ship, we were able to find a more piano bar type activity, but not on others. So I would do searches specifically for the ships you are considering.

Celebrity in general is a different experience from your other cruises --- more sedate, elegant, dignified. The dress code is followed pretty closely, with 2 formal nights and 5 smart casual on a 7 day cruise (although some people do avoid formal wear by dining in the buffet or specialty restaurants.) This is a big change especially from NCL, where anything goes most of the time. Entertainment is good but not as extensive or risqué as you'll find on some of the other lines. No Quest or Howl at the Moon, no belly flop contests or other lively pool games during the day. Where Celebrity shines is their food and service, both are top notch. But I do think you should prepare yourselves for a more low key ambiance than you have found on Carnival, NCL and Royal. We love Celebrity but do wish they would kick the entertainment up a notch.

Disagree. X is not more elegant or dignified. Just came back on Equinox. Entertainment is lame, demographics is older and dress code isn't followed that closely. I have never seen such rude treatment of staff before. In my experience, NCL is far from anything goes but do allow shorts which is a plus, in my opinion, in the caribbean.

Anyway to each their own.

Hey CC -

Happy Holidays!

Thanks for the help!!

What happened to the ports?

Thank you for helping to make my decision easier. I'll stay away from X; don't think it's for me.

Thank you for helping to make my decision easier. I'll stay away from X; don't think it's for me.

Better to find out now --- no cruise line is perfect for everybody, including Celebrity! I love to see someone come to these boards to do research BEFORE booking a cruise --- it avoids disappointment as well as all those posts complaining about things they should have known about in advance.

Do you prefer Concierge Class or AQ?

The main reason to choose AQ is if you want to dine in Blu as your assigned dining room. Service is very good there, ambiance is more intimate, menu is different and generally lighter than the MDR. You can do a search for both the Blu menus and MDR menus and see which you prefer. Most AQ cruisers love Blu but a few do not, it's not for everyone. Except for this (and access to the Persian Gardens) there is no reason to spend the extra money since all veranda cabins on the S class ships are exactly the same in terms of size, layout, etc.

I just think you'll not find Celebrity as casual as you'd like. We always liked the old formal style of oceanliner travel. My partner & I are traditionalists,I guess. NCL/Carnival/RCCL cater to those who like the "anything goes" sort of cruising. There are those of us who prefer a more sedate form of cruise which is why we choose lines like Cunard/Celebrity/HAL.(age has nothing to do with it) We don't need the bare chest parties, Howls at the moon & other entertainmaint of that type. Formality is our "schtick",as casual is yours.

My guess is that the OP ordered a bucket of beers as it is cheaper on those lines to order a bucket rather than single beers. Additionally, please don't judge those of us that enjoy things like "Quest" or Howl at the Moon. There is a time and place for everything as well as a variety of options so everyone can find what they are looking for.

To the OP, with the classic drink package, you will easily be able to get a mimosa at breakfast and then order your beers as you want them. You stated you are traveling with another couple, will you want a table for 2 or 4? The table for 4 should be easier to get than the 2, but it is definitely easier during select dining. In terms of what I call "finding the party" (I am early 30s for reference), a lot of it depends on when you sail. There are more options and more of a party vibe during certain periods of the year. Additionally, I have found that the entertainment varies overall. On one X ship, we were able to find a more piano bar type activity, but not on others. So I would do searches specifically for the ships you are considering.

I'm not judging,but the OP needs to undertstand that Celebrity is NOT like NCL/Carnival etc. Those who like the "anything goes" mentality should stick to those type of lines that cater to that style. We choose a line that more reflects our tastes. Each line should reflect the particular type of "schtick" of their pax..Cunard(formal dresscodes etc.)Oceania(country club chic & great food)HAL(older demographic,sedate cruises)NCL/Carnival(party hearty,casual dresscodes etc.)PAX really need to research the line they wish to choose. I DO. I'd never ever consider a trip on Carnival/NCL, just as I'd assume some would never choose Cunard/HAL/Celebrity. I think Celebrity due to it's size does have some differences. We've done the Eclipse,as we like longer voyages. I was surprised to find lots more British, as well as a surprisingly large older clientel. We enjoyed the sedate & more formal cruise & will likely only choose the Eclipse for our trips.