Flight from Rome (FCO) to London

hawk88

We found a flight from Rome to London City at 8:55am. We will get off of the Reflection Monday, June 8th with our luggage and hire a private transfer but I'm thinking there is no way to make this. If we are allowed off the ship at 6am and allow for a one hour transfer to the airport, that leaves us with about an hour and a half to check-in and get through security, if everything goes smoothly. How long does it take to get through security for a non-US bound flight and how foolish would I be to try this?!

We are flying to LAX from LHR at 3:45pm and our other option is a flight that arrives at LHR at 1:20pm. That doesn't leave us a whole lot of time to navigate the mess that is Heathrow.

Edited by hawk88

It's certainly not within my comfort zone. How do you KNOW that you'll be off the ship at 6am? Any number of things could create a delay. What will it cost you if you miss that flight?

OTOH, I'd be comfortable with 2 1/2 hrs to transfer at Heathrow. Maybe I've lucky but of all the times I've gone thru LHR, I've never had an issue. Unless you count missing the transfer on the tube.

I think that would be very tight even though flights within Europe don't require the extra level of security that we had (Rome to Phily).

We booked a 10:55 am flight on American and when the merge with US Air happened the flight departure time was moved up to 10:35 am. We booked Rome Cabs for a 6:15 am pickup and hurried off the ship. We were able to get going by 6:25 am and were at the airport in plenty of time (on a Wednesday morning). We probably sat at the gate for about 1 1/2 hours before boarding started.

So if possible, look for a flight a bit later. I was amazed at how many people walked off with luggage (Serenade of the Seas) and there was a long line to get off. It moved fast though once the ship was cleared.

We found a flight from Rome to London City at 8:55am. We will get off of the Reflection Monday, June 8th with our luggage and hire a private transfer but I'm thinking there is no way to make this. If we are allowed off the ship at 6am and allow for a one hour transfer to the airport, that leaves us with about an hour and a half to check-in and get through security, if everything goes smoothly. How long does it take to get through security for a non-US bound flight and how foolish would I be to try this?!

We are flying to LAX from LHR at 3:45pm and our other option is a flight that arrives at LHR at 1:20pm. That doesn't leave us a whole lot of time to navigate the mess that is Heathrow.

What really jumps out at me in your post isn't the 8:55 am departure (I actually know of a couple on my cruise out of Civi that had a 7:30 am flight to London scheduled, and AFAIK they made it), but that the flight goes to London City airport - LCY - NOT LHR. You then have to cross the whole of London to transfer airports, either by private transport or various trains via Paddington and the Heathrow Express. IMHO, a 2:30 connection at LHR is VASTLY preferable to having to transfer airports. I don't like to leave myself at the mercy of traffic.

It all depends on the airline and flights, but if you're talking a British Airlines connection at Terminal 5, then really nothing could be easier - I flew YUL-LHR-FCO with them and it was quite a pleasant journey, connections and all.

the flight goes to London City airport - LCY - NOT LHR.

yikes ... I didn't notice that you were landing at City but departing from LHR. So no, the later flight doesn't work either.

Surely there are other options that the 2 you posted. Even if it costs more, I'd go for a 'comfortable' flight time. Being a nervous wreck over connections isn't the way to end a lovely trip.

As a hypothetical it may work.

In reality all the stars would have to align and we all know only one of the variables (known and unknown) could cause a delay.

Why create this anxious finish to the holiday

Your call but I would look for other options

Thanks for all of your replies. I did forget to mention one thing. Our flight to LAX @ 3:45 is on Delta out of terminal 3. If we get the flight that arrives @ LHR @ 1:20 on British Air terminnal 5, is this enough time to gather our bags and transfer to T3?

Thanks for all of your replies. I did forget to mention one thing. Our flight to LAX @ 3:45 is on Delta out of terminal 3. If we get the flight that arrives @ LHR @ 1:20 on British Air terminnal 5, is this enough time to gather our bags and transfer to T3?

Have you already purchased the LHR-LAX flight? Any reason why you didn't purchase\aren't purchasing the 2 flights together?

There's no way I'd only allow 2:25 to arrive, get my luggage, change terminals and check in for an international flight.

Unless I am missing something, the port is in Civitavecchia which is at least one hour from Rome. And you need to check in for an international flight. So even in the best conditions, this is REALLY scary tight.

Well, Rome to London is not considered an international flight.

I am sorry that I am late to this.

You would be making a terrible, and I mean terrible, mistake to attempt an 8:55 AM flight. You will not be off the ship at 6:00 AM.

At the same time I would not want a two hour connection.

If this was me I would start over and try to get a different flight out of LHR that is later or I would fly from FCO to LHR and then the next day fly from LHR home. I have done this before. Stay at one of the two hotels at LHR airport. Or stay in Italy and do your flights the next day.

Keith

What exactly is the issue @ Heathrow? If you remain in the same terminal, how long will it take to go through security (is that an issue?) when you are flying w/ the same airline or does that not make a difference? Would this be a questionable choice?

Arrive Tue 22 Sep 2015 13:25 Heathrow (London)

Terminal 5

Depart Tue 22 Sep 2015 15:05 Heathrow (London)

Terminal 5

Connecting at T5 on BA 2 years ago, we were scheduled to arrive at 9:20 am and depart for FCO at 12:50. I seem to remember arriving a bit early - even so, we were seated at a restaurant in the terminal for breakfast at 10 am. While I wouldn't daudle, if your 1st flight is on time, you should be fine.