Tapas/Chops

RCCL Fan

It's been years since I've done chops...

I haven't been since they took the ribeye off the menu, as that's my cut of red meat.

In looking at the menu, none of the entree's are really jumping out at me.

But the appetizers and sides look great.

Has anyone ever gone tapas style in chops and just ordered several appetizers and sides?

It's been years since I've done chops...

I haven't been since they took the ribeye off the menu, as that's my cut of red meat.

In looking at the menu, none of the entree's are really jumping out at me.

But the appetizers and sides look great.

Has anyone ever gone tapas style in chops and just ordered several appetizers and sides?

I've been keeping an eye on this thread to see if anyone is going to chime in but I guess not. :(

I am with you on the ribeye. Personally, I think there should be an international law that requires any establishment calling itself a steak house to have ribeyes. :D

I got the specialty dining e-mail the other day (as I suspect you did) and even though:

1. Everyone says the new menu sucks

2. Even Bob (clarea) says it is not a good deal anymore -- and I trust that

3. I would pay the upcharge on top of the upcharge to get the 20 oz. dry aged porterhouse

I just cannot bring myself to do it yet because I hear that even the porterhouse is not that good. See:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44939243&postcount=27

I am with Jim Zim on this. If I am going to pay $54 ($35+19) so that I can eat a special steak then it better be pretty special. According to Jim, it was good but not $54 good. ($49 when he sailed)

I'm still a little open to it (75% No / 25% Yes) but need to have someone here provide some better feedback.

Also, outside of the entree can you get multiple items? For example, if I wanted the mushrooms and fries?

Finally, I do not see desert on the Chops menu? None?

Thoughts?

Correct me if I'm wrong but are you allowed more than 1 entree if you want? We were thinking about making reservations on our March 21st cruise.

They charge at least $10 for each additional entree beyond the first.

My DW and I just got off Serenade on the 27th and we ate at Chops twice. The first was FREE courtesy of RCCL and we paid for the 2nd night.

We could not have been more pleased with the food on our 1st visit. The 9oz filet was tender and nicely seasoned and all the sides we ordered were great as well. We enjoyed our desserts also. The 2nd night was the opposite. The only thing that was even close to as good was the desserts.

I do not know if this is a true on all ships but specialty dining was less on Serenade for some reason. Chops was $30pp, Giovannis $20pp and they charged $70pp for Chefs Table during our holiday cruise.

So apparently my percentages (75% No / 25% Yes) were way off because not only did I just book and pay for Chops ... but Giovanni's and Izumi (reserved) too.

I was charged $30 for Chops for my 3-14-15 Serenade cruise and not $35. I notice the wording said "starting at $30" so I guess it varies by ship.

Also, the menu shown in the cruise planner appears to be the old menu. I thought all ships in the fleet are now on the new menu. :confused:

My DW and I just got off Serenade on the 27th and we ate at Chops twice. The first was FREE courtesy of RCCL and we paid for the 2nd night.

We could not have been more pleased with the food on our 1st visit. The 9oz filet was tender and nicely seasoned and all the sides we ordered were great as well. We enjoyed our desserts also. The 2nd night was the opposite. The only thing that was even close to as good was the desserts.

I do not know if this is a true on all ships but specialty dining was less on Serenade for some reason. Chops was $30pp, Giovannis $20pp and they charged $70pp for Chefs Table during our holiday cruise.

We are going on Serenade in March. I just booked and noticed the $30 price point as well.

For Chops which of the menus below were they using?

This menu:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/ChopsGrille_Menu_Eng.pdf

or this menu?

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/chops.pdf

What were the desert options? Did not see those on either menu,

We are going on Serenade in March. I just booked and noticed the $30 price point as well.

this menu:

The second one is on Serenade. I don't know about dessert, we are not big dessert eaters, and didn't order any.

The second one is on Serenade. I don't know about dessert, we are not big dessert eaters, and didn't order any.

Yes, dessert not desert as I had typed. LOL

I'm guessing it was a separate menu and being that you were not interested you did not ask to see it? Yes?

What is the "specialty dining email?" I'm sailing on Brilliance in 3 weeks, and haven't received one yet.

We got one a week or two before our cruise in early December. I deleted it. It was just a solicitation to book a specialty dinner.

What is the "specialty dining email?" I'm sailing on Brilliance in 3 weeks, and haven't received one yet.

Got it the day after final payment was due. Not sure if that was a coincidence or if it went out to everyone but it had our sailing information on it. Looked like this:

Specialty_Dining_Email_zpsfd39b26f.png

I cropped and blurred but you get the idea. :)

Edited by NightOne

This menu:

or this menu?

It is the botoom menu link. As for the dessert menu I can only give you the ones we tried. I do not recall the other choices. We tried and enjoyed the Chocolate Mud Pie, Red Velvet Cake, & Huckleberry Cheesecake.

This menu:

or this menu?

Its the bottom menu link. As for the dessert menu I can only recall the ones we ordered. We tried and enjoyed the Chocolate Mud Pie, Red Velvet Cake, & Huckleberry Cheesecake.

Its the bottom menu link. As for the dessert menu I can only recall the ones we ordered. We tried and enjoyed the Chocolate Mud Pie, Red Velvet Cake, & Huckleberry Cheesecake.

Think I found the dessert menu from an Oasis review posted here:

DSCF4744_zpsb7966ec1.jpg

I've eaten once at chips and was very glad it was a free coupon and not or money. I had the porterhouse (which apparently has since been upgraded to dry aged and with a surcharge) because it was the only bone in option. It looks like they have no bone in steaks at this point on their main menu. The steaks we had were not cooked properly, my husband asked for med and I was med rare. They both came out med rare. Mine was tough and sinewy. The staff pushed really hard to get us to sauce them up (I guess they were trying to hide that the beef quality want good) but we refused over and over. We did enjoy the appetizers, but the Creme Brule was runny and not impressive. This was on the Oasis.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

We usually have our specialty dining comped by our TA. Chops on FOS was awesome on our Sept 2014 cruise. Wonderful filet with salads, sides, and desserts. Why order two entrees - can you eat that much? It was all delicious and we walked out of there stuffed. Our server was a doll and really knew the wine list well.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 months later...

I love the apps at Chops, the goat cheese salad, scallops and onion soup are all amazing!! I could just eat apps, they are so good!! I do eat the chicken as well and think it's one of the best menu items on Royal. For me, it is worth it, even without the steak.