Caribbean Princess Investigates Lost boat

KangarooCruiser

We are on the caribbean Princess and are just turning around investigating a racing yatch adrift. It appears to be missing a mast, ship now almost alongside, I will post picture when able and keep you updated.

Pleases keep us posted. Thank you.

We are now alongside. The ships tender has been dispatched and they are now alongside the sailing boat.

Appears to be abandoned with no mast and sails hanging over the sides and in the water.

It has a blue hull with a white top, with a large number of 682 on the sides.

Wow! I wonder what happened. How large is the boat?

Edited by geocruiser

Captain is addressing us. The yatch has nobody on board. The captain has told us that this yatch has been identified as a participant of last years solo transatlantic race and it appears she was abandoned.

The captain and reported to the Coast Guard and a large cheer and applause heard as he thanked us for our patience.

Great job to the Captain and his crew aboard the Caribbean Princess.

Tony

I am surprised that the boat was not taken out of the water last year.

The following is correct if the boat's number 682 with light blue hull and white deck.

The owner was on a solo trans Atlantic race from France to the island of Guadeloupe. He reported striking a semi-submerged object that tore a gash in the hull below the waterline. He abandon the sailboat about 300 miles east of Guadeloupe and was rescued by a race support vessel. The boat was taking on water and presumed sunk. This happened in December 2013.

Another mystery at sea.

Interesting. I wonder if Princess placed some sort of locator beacon onboard the abandoned vessel so it can be salvaged (or sunk to avoid future collision with or concern from passing vessels)?

Well, if they were in contact with the Coast Guard, that might not be necessary. And would they even have that kind of equipment aboard?

We had the same thing happen on Pacific Princess Sept 16 1 way cruise from Vancouver to Honolulu. We passed a capsized hull and I guess the captain was summoned to decide if we should turn around which we did.

We came along side and did some looking but they didn't send a boat to check further. It appeared to have been floating upside down for some time and may have been junk from the Japanese Tsunami.

Before long we were on our way again and the captain said it would be reported to the coastguard but I too thought some sort of radio beacon put onto it would make it a lot easier for them to find it and get rid of it. These days some sort of transmitter would be pretty inexpensive so they could be carried for these sort of encounters. Considering what it cost in fuel just to turn around and go back to check, it would seem like a reasonable thing to do.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector