Princess First timer!

michelle028

I have been on RCI, Carnival and NCL. Do you notice any major differences for Princess? (its our first time) We booked the Regal Princess.

Just a few questions:

1) How can you book a specific table for the reserved dining room at 8:15pm? Do you know if you can contact the MaitreD ahead of time? ie are there email addresses that anyone can provide?

2)we booked a balcony cabin on Deck 10 . How does the size of the cabin compare to other cruise lines?

3) What is a can't miss or must do on the Regal Princess?

4) For my fellow foodies out there - what is a "must try" dish?

Thanks for your help!

Try a lunch at Alfredo's. Great pizza, minestrone soup and green salad. Go hungry and/or split the pizza.

The Horizon Court buffet had an amazing array of really good and fresh food whenever we ate there. Take a walk around and see what is available before loading up your plate. If you want something cold like salad, get it and eat it first then go back for the hot stuff. If you get it all at once and eat the salad first the hot foods will be lukewarm or cold by the time you eat them. Be sure to check out the Bistro area for deserts for diner (and other food items for Breakfast and Lunch).

Be sure to check out the entertainment in the Piazza. We saw a lot of good stuff there.

If you drink, happy hour in Crooners (3 to 4pm when we were on) for two for one drinks.

We found the Regal to be a really nice ship and had a great time. Enjoy the cruise.

Edited by ar1950

Are you asking how to get late traditional (assigned) dinner or asking about having a specific location (window, etc.) in that dining room? For the first, ask to have late traditional dining when you book your cruise. You can't book a specific area of the room, but would need to see the maitre'd (or his designee) when you first board (the info will be in the Patter newsletter), but unless those who have been assigned to that table want to change...

The International Cafe, which isn't an enclosed eatery but a set of display cases in the Piazza (Plaza deck, midships) that's on many Princess ships, is one place to check out. Yummy food for light meals, snacks, desserts. The only extra charges would be for gelato (some Princess ships don't have this at the IC) and specialty coffees at the counter there.

If you're a foodie, then you have to try the Chef's Table. It will run you about $100 and will take about three hours of your time; the cost includes champaign with appetizers in the galley and unlimited appropriate wine with the various courses. If interested, call the DINE line upon boarding.

I have been on RCI, Carnival and NCL. Do you notice any major differences for Princess? (its our first time) We booked the Regal Princess.

Just a few questions:

1) How can you book a specific table for the reserved dining room at 8:15pm? Do you know if you can contact the MaitreD ahead of time? ie are there email addresses that anyone can provide?

2)we booked a balcony cabin on Deck 10 . How does the size of the cabin compare to other cruise lines?

Thanks for your help!

#2 Princess balcony cabins are smaller than CCL , RCL and there balconies are on the small size also.

Just a few questions:

Thanks for your help!

#1. I imagine you can go to the Maitre 'd after boarding and ask. I am not aware of anything similar to RCI where you can email ahead of time and they confirm specific location.

#2. I have found Princess balconies a little smaller than RCI, but not much. I'm not sure about Regal, but I have seen a lot of threads here on the Regal/Royal balconies. You might search and get information.

#3. I haven't been on Regal, so I can't really opine.

#4. Definitely the pizza on the pool deck and alfredo in a parm bowl as others have mentioned. I'm not sure if all ships have it, but I really liked the waffle bar on Diamond/Sapphire on the pool deck where the ice cream place is for breakfast, and the omelet bar. International Cafe is similar to Promenade Cafe, but with more options...some much prefer it...My husband loves the Beef Wellington on the 2nd formal night.

#2 Princess balcony cabins are smaller than CCL , RCL and there balconies are on the small size also.

However, OP is on Caribe deck 10 which is an extended balcony. Larger than either RCL and CCL and Princess standard balconies.

Edited by iceleven

However, OP is on Caribe deck 10 which is an extended balcony. Larger than either RCL and CCL and Princess standard balconies.

That is on the grand class ships. I think the regal balconies are mainly the small ones.

Just a few questions:

1) How can you book a specific table for the reserved dining room at 8:15pm? Do you know if you can contact the MaitreD ahead of time? ie are there email addresses that anyone can provide? As stated you have to wait until you are on board.

2)we booked a balcony cabin on Deck 10 . How does the size of the cabin compare to other cruise lines? A standard balcony cabin will have a desk, a fridge with table top, two night stands, bed in queen or twin config., large open closet with shelf unit and safe, bath with shower, sink and toilet. A deluxe balcony cabin will be almost the same except it has no desk. There is a small sofa in that location and the fridge top is expanded. Your balcony will be 9'w by 4'd with 2 upright chairs and a small table (the Regal and Royal Princess do NOT have larger balconies on deck 10 as some posters here have reported). There will be lots of storage space in the drawers, shelves and closet.

3) What is a can't miss or must do on the Regal Princess? Read the Princess Patter each day and decide what you want to do. All shows and activities are walk in, no reservations. Show times around 8/8:30pm are the most crowded and require that you arrive around 1/2 hour early. Entertainers in the Vista Lounge also fill up quickly as the lounge is not as large as the theater. Lots of activities and dancing in the Piazza area.

4) For my fellow foodies out there - what is a "must try" dish? Lots of great stuff to eat. Free food locations include International Cafe open 24 hours, Horizon Ct. buffet open continuously from 6am until 11/midnight, Trident Grill and Prego Pizza open 11am to 11pm, Alfredo's Pizza open 11am to 11pm (table service), Pub Lunch held in the Wheelhouse Bar menu posted by the bar, MDR(s) open for breakfast and dinner each day and lunch on sea days. The MDR is closed for lunch on port days. Afternoon tea each day.

Surcharge dinning, make reservations on board by calling the DINE line or visiting the restaurant. Crown Grill, steaks chops and seafood, Sabatini's, Italian both $25/pp surcharge. Crab Shack held in a section of the buffet $20pp surcharge. Also available is the chef's table, balcony breakfast, balcony dinner.

Coffee Card, ($31) 15 special espresso drinks and unlimited brewed coffee and special teas, can also be used for gelato. Free coffee, tea and hot cocoa is available all day in the buffet. Also available are special seafood items at the Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar. These are priced per item.

Thanks for your help!

See above

Hi All:

Very informative so far, thanks!

Another question - we love going for comedy shows on cruises....do they have them every night?

where are the shows held on the Regal and do you have to line up super early to get a seat like on Carnival?

Your sailing on a ship that is more upscale than the 24/7 party scene on Carnival. There may be, one evening out of 7 to 14 with a comedy act.

You will too find a little more well mannered and less hurried passenger on Princess than NCL RCI and Carnival. The ship will seem more like a oceangoing experience than a trip to a resort hotel and shopping mall.

Food will be slightly better un less you are willing to pay.

Hi All:

Another question - we love going for comedy shows on cruises....do they have them every night?

where are the shows held on the Regal and do you have to line up super early to get a seat like on Carnival?

There are comedy shows, but, not every night. Check the Patter daily for show information and locations (there are more venues than just the Princess Theater). If the show is any good be sure to go early or you will be standing.

There are comedy shows, but, not every night. Check the Patter daily for show information and locations (there are more venues than just the Princess Theater). If the show is any good be sure to go early or you will be standing.

Princess doesn't do comedy the way Carnival does. With Carnival, it's a trademark. Princess will alternate comedy shows with the production shows or magicians or whatever. I have seen lines to get into the Princess theater for comic acts, but I seldom go myself, so I'm not sure how crowded it gets.

Hi All:

There will most likely be a comedian on board. Shows are both in the Princess Theater and the Vista Lounge and can be at various times. It's not like a comedy club, and Princess entertainers are instructed to keep their acts family friendly. All shows are listed in the Princess Patter so make certain you review it each day. Every show is walk in. For theater shows in the 8/8:30pm time period you have to arrive about 1/2 hour early. For shows at later and earlier times it is easier to get a seat. Vista Lounge shows fill up quickly as the Vista Lounge is smaller than the theater. For acts that are known to be good arrive early to get a seat.

There may also be some music performances, for example a string quartet, or solo singer, in Princess Live

There is no difference between the balconies on Caribe vs. other decks on the Royal and Regal. Completely different design than you describe.

There is no difference between the balconies on Caribe vs. other decks on the Royal and Regal. Completely different design than you describe.

Thanks for the correction. So far I have only cruised on the Grand class ships. Oh, except for once on the Sea Princess. So, are ALL balconies now the typical tiny ones except for the occasional suite balcony?

Edited by iceleven

Depending upon how much information you want in advance of your sailing, these two threads have great reviews with excellent photos. Both threads are about the Royal Princess, but the Regal is her sister ship and very much the same.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1950107

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1964450

Have you joined the Roll Call for your sailing? If the Roll Call is active, there is usually lots of good info to be found there.

Edited by MarKay525

Thanks for the correction. So far I have only cruised on the Grand class ships. Oh, except for once on the Sea Princess. So, are ALL balconies now the typical tiny ones except for the occasional suite balcony?
They're not that small. Just a bit narrower. I think they're 8-10" narrower. Still plenty of room for two people. The balconies under the edges of the Sea Walk and Sea View Bar are angled and a bit larger. The upper decks below these venues lose a bit of privacy.