gluten free diet for first dinner

My daughter has signed up for a gluten free diet on our upcoming Hawaii cruise. I know she will be able to pick out her dinner choices for the next evening's meal each day, but what do you do about dinner on embarkation day?

Do we search out the Maitre'd who is busy doing dining chages? Or do we just see what might be available for that evening once we get to the dining room.? We also have Anytime dining which may further complicate things.

Appreciate any help.

Stan

If it's helpful, here's a link to the Sailaway dinner menu - click ahead for subsequent pages. The fish preparation changes from time to time, and the shellfish entree now comes in puff pastry. The vegetarian entree varies between this tart and a spiced chickpea ragout, but overall the menu is pretty GF-friendly by default and has really only changed around the edges over the years.

https://goldenprincessjune2013.shutterfly.com/pictures/16

When I sailed vegan on my last cruise, we went to the MDR in the afternoon and informed them of our dietary restrictions. During the meal, we requested to speak with the Head Waiter and he came over and helped us select a meal / alter a meal so it would not contain meat/dairy/eggs. I'm sure they would do something similar! You're right - that point on, we were able to choose our meal the night before...but we were able to be accommodated the first evening. No worries!

Notify Pincers thru your online registration. Otherwise talk to Princess and have them add to your registration.

I would assume they already did that:

"My daughter has signed up for a gluten free diet on our upcoming Hawaii cruise."

There are many people on gluten free, so I know the ship's kitchens are prepared for it. The waiter will probably be able to recommend something the first night. If you have forewarned them about the diet restrictions, they may be already prepared to serve you the first night.

I have to eat gluten free and am just back from the Crown. The experience was great. Tell your waiter the first night and they will contact the head waiter to come help with that meal. You do not need to search for him/her.

Thank you all for your replies. My DD has registered on the Princess site, and has received confirmation of her gluten free diet. I was just wondering how to handle the first dinner. We will let our wait staff know, and I am sure everything will be taken care of.

Thanks, again, we are all looking forward to a wonderful cruise

There'll be plenty of options the first night, particularly with some modifications. I love salad and usually request a salad with honey mustard dressing, sometimes as a side dish, sometimes with grilled chicken as an entree. That can be requested at any time. I often order meat without a sauce, a baked potato instead of the accompanying vegetable, etc.

My wife is gluten free (Celiac) and on the first night the process has always been that the head waiter will walk you through the menu and indicate which items are already gluten free or can be made gluten free without trouble. What you don't get on the first night are options that require advance ordering. For instance, she's been unable to have a pasta dish that night, because the gluten free pasta required advanced order. But, gluten free bread has always been available on any night, even without advanced notice.

The bottom line is that there will be lots of food options, and we have always found Princess to be excellent at handling our needs.