Zuiderdam, drydock, Canal, and shorex questions

Cerinda

What kinds of maintenance, updates, and upgrades has HAL been putting into Vista class ships in 2014? What’s in store for the Zuiderdam?

Recent CC reviews have been pretty mixed, so I’m concerned about the state of the ship. We’re sailing shortly after the drydock, so I’m trying to be optimistic.

Please tell me about your experiences transiting the Canal. We’re really conflicted about whether or not we need to take an excursion to have a great experience. The Canal is, after all, the reason we chose this cruise.

Has anyone done both HAL’s eco-adventures near Barulio Carillo National Park and the ones at Veragua? I’m not finding a lot about them on the boards. I’m also hoping that this season’s cruisers will report in.

FLL Embarkation: when does the initial rush let up? Our last HAL Caribbean cruise was several years ago, and it was crazy until well after noon, maybe even after one. And that was on an S class ship!

Formal nights: a 10-day Canal cruise has only two? Really? DS19 will be most disappointed!

Thanks for your help, everyone! I post very little, but I do try to keep up.

What kinds of maintenance, updates, and upgrades has HAL been putting into Vista class ships in 2014? What’s in store for the Zuiderdam? Soft goods and general matainence. Maybe installing cabanas on upper deck.

Recent CC reviews have been pretty mixed, so I’m concerned about the state of the ship. We’re sailing shortly after the drydock, so I’m trying to be optimistic.

Please tell me about your experiences transiting the Canal. We’re really conflicted about whether or not we need to take an excursion to have a great experience. The Canal is, after all, the reason we chose this cruise.

We have done this cruise twice and would do it again. It is awesome and like with your thinking we did not do any excursion.

Has anyone done both HAL’s eco-adventures near Barulio Carillo National Park and the ones at Veragua? I’m not finding a lot about them on the boards. I’m also hoping that this season’s cruisers will report in.

FLL Embarkation: when does the initial rush let up? Our last HAL Caribbean cruise was several years ago, and it was crazy until well after noon, maybe even after one. And that was on an S class ship! 12:30 to 1 pm.

Formal nights: a 10-day Canal cruise has only two? Really? DS19 will be most disappointed! Might be 3, really up to the Captain.

Thanks for your help, everyone! I post very little, but I do try to keep up.

You will really enjoy doing the Panama Cruise.

We were on the Z on a partial Canal cruise in early Nov.

Ship was in very good shape IMO. No concerns.

Since we had an aft-wrap, we decided to stay onboard for the entire Canal time, and I am glad we did. Very interesting to watch the goings on and on the way back out we had some friends drop by to visit and share our great views.

The people I talked to who took excursions said they were good, but it was a long and hot day.

We were in the first "regular" group getting off after the self-disembarkers. Even so, the Customs line was long and getting worse as more folks were let off - so I would get off ASAP.

As I recall, only 2 formal nights on our 11 day.

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

I, too, think transiting the canal on the ship is an "excursion" in itself...very interesting, and didn't cost another penny! After all, you're paying a premium to be on the ship for the canal passage....why get off?

Edited by cb at sea

This is the Panama Canal Sunfarer right?

We did it and really enjoyed it. I was up bright and early when we came into the Panama (and yes, I did have a Panama bun). We did opt to get off and go to the Embera Indian Village. We really enjoyed the tour so, I don't think there is a right answer to this.

If you stay on you will enjoy and if you get off you will also experience parts of the canal. We certainly did in our canoe ride :)

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong.

"Please tell me about your experiences transiting the Canal. We’re really conflicted about whether or not we need to take an excursion to have a great experience. The Canal is, after all, the reason we chose this cruise."

The passage through Gatun Locks it impressive and interesting in its own right... but it is only eight miles of a 50 mile Canal. You will see the same eight miles twice, in and out. I believe all the eye candy is on the Pacific side. There you have two locks, granted they do the same thing as Gatun Locks, but you pass through Gaillard Cut, over the Continental Divide, pass underneath two very beautiful bridges, see some of the construction for the expansion locks and see some of Panama City's skyline. Another benefit of the "ferry"excursion to the Pacific side is you get to do an A/B comparison of your Panamax ship in Gatun and then view the operation at the Pacific Locks from the ferry. This gives you a totally different perspective of the lock operation.

If you have been on a complete transit previously, then staying on the ship could be an option. However if your reason for the cruise is to see the Canal then I think you owe it to yourself to take the ferry excursion. In my mind I would not be very content with visiting Paris without taking in the Louvre or the Eiffel Tower. You will have traveled a long way... don't short change yourself.