First Night Dining?

LEMJMcC

So this is our first ever cruise. We are part of a group of ten with early seating in the MDR, however, my lovely wife and I want to be on deck as we pass under the Skyway bridge as we leave Tampa Bay; this may require us to find other dining options on the first night. I've read some good things about Giovanni's and Chops. Can you answer some questions?

What are the cover charges for these restaurants?

Are you limited to a single choice of appetizer and/or entrée or can you try various items for the one charge?

Are reservations needed for the first night? If so, can we make them upon embarkation or should we book prior to?

Any other tips?

Thanks!

Cover charges vary by ship. I've seen people mention both $30 and $35 for Chops. I believe Giovianni's is $20 or $25. Note that Chops now has additional charges (on top of the cover charge) for certain steaks and lobster.

The cover charge includes one entree per person. They will charge you for additional entrees.

You should be able to make your reservations on board for the first night. Just visit the restaurant soon after you board.

Edited by clarea

generally speaking you may order as much as you want of anything EXCEPT main courses.. that is limited to one.

hell half the time the waiter will bring you something you never even order to 'try'

if you have OBC to use up, book on board. there will be someone available to book reservations for that night. also you might even be able to score a discount.

prices range from $30 per person on up.

So this is our first ever cruise. We are part of a group of ten with early seating in the MDR, however, my lovely wife and I want to be on deck as we pass under the Skyway bridge as we leave Tampa Bay; this may require us to find other dining options on the first night. I've read some good things about Giovanni's and Chops. Can you answer some questions?

Are you limited to a single choice of appetizer and/or entrée or can you try various items for the one charge?

Are reservations needed for the first night? If so, can we make them upon embarkation or should we book prior to?

Any other tips?

Thanks!

If passing under the Skyway bridge is important to you I would just eat at the Windjammer as the timetable for the bridge can vary from cruise to cruise.

I love passing under the Skyway Bridge. We always do the specialty dining on the first night. If you make your reservations for 7:30 or 8:00 you will not have any issues unless there is some unexpected issue with the port or ship.

I don't remember passing under the bridge until much later, but as Bob mentioned,

timing for each ship could change.

Excellent suggestion was made to do WJ that first night to be flexible.

I do know we pass under the bridge in the very wee

hours of the morning on the way back. :eek: Good cruise to have a

balcony and an alarm clock for that one...jammies and all. :)

Will find out when Vision does her pass through in a few weeks. Always

a treat!

Any other tips?

Thanks!

Your first cruise.

I suggest on day one, plan NOTHING.

You will be confronted with so many great options that you might be topside, at the pool bar, maybe on a lounge chair, passing under the bridge, might want to stay, watch the land disappear, watch the sunset .... or maybe decide to go eat (Windjammer is always an option), explore the ship ..... whatever ...... just wing it on day one.

Enjoy.

I would not pre-book as others have said. Get on the ship and explore your options. A small note too, I have seen several people mention that the "for fee" restaurants will do 50% off the first night if you book on the ship. Not sure if that's always the case but if you can do that, it's worth it. Have fun.

I also suggest you eat in the buffet, Windjammer, that first night. It will have most of what is offered in the main dining room and more. It will not be crowded and you can be in and out as quickly as you wish. Just check your daily Compass for times WJ is open in the evening, as it can vary by ship. The Compass should be in your cabin when you board.