Can we take extra wine on board if we pay a corkage fee?

PunkiC

We usually sail on Princes or Cunard, but are considering a Celebrity cruise.

On Cunard there are no wine restrictions and on Princess, you can take as much as you would like on board, but you pay a $15 corkage fee on every bottle over two per cabin. We usually check a case and pay corkage on ten bottles.

Can we bring extra wine on Celebrity if we are willing to pay the corkage fee?

If so, what is the corkage fee?

No. Celebrity's policy is two bottles per cabin.

Corkage fee doesn't relate to this allowance or the quantity allowed on board. The corkage fee is charged if the bottles are taken to a dining room or lounge to drink. No corkage fee for wine consumed in your stateroom.

Edited by Lsimon

On Princess, and I believe on Holland America, you pay the corkage fee on extra bottles, no matter where they are consumed.

On Cunard you just pay a corkage fee if you take your wine into the dining room.

I guess with the free drink package, it wouldn't be so bad to have only two bottles, but I would miss having wine to drink on my balcony on a long cruise.

With the drinks package you can buy glasses of wine one at a time and take to you balcony.

Or you can buy full bottles and take to your room.

But just remember that the drinks package does not include room service and does not include your stateroom mini bar

If you have a drink package, definitely no need to bring any bottles on board. Being the "wonderful" husband I am, I always walked to the nearest bar and got a nice glass for my wife and myself (you need both stateroom cards).

I found the best place (ie, closest to my cabin and quick service) was at the Café al Bacio. Check out the deck plans and I'm sure you'll find a location to get that wine within a few minutes walk. If you're lucky, it will also be near a place where you can grab some cheese/crackers to go with that wine.

If you absolutely want to bring on wine, another option is to each have two bottles in your carry on. Celebrity's policy of 2 bottles per statement is correct but we've found that as long as they see no more than 2 bottles they are OK. Worst case is you get caught and have to let them hold the 2 extra bottles until the end of the cruise.

Edited by RickT

Drinks packages offer discounts on bottled of wine. Premium os 20% discount. Not sure of classic, I think maybe 10%.

I've also used "gifts by Celebrity" to buy wine in advance and have it in my cabin, with this a gratuity is not added to the prices saying some cost.

I've also been 100% successful taking 4 bottles on board, 2 in checked, 2 in carry on. They don't actually keep a manifest of who took what on board. I would think if you and your wife boarded separately, you could each carry on 2 bottles, and get 2 thru in checked luggage, just don't do more than 2 in checked or more than 2 bottles per person carry on.

Edited by cle-guy