Silhouette Drydock

Shermcruiser

I will try to report from the ship. By the way, they are using the "suggested" boarding time plan. Sent both calls and emails to notify passengers.

Thanks so much...that would be great. Hopefully you acknowledged their messages, I've been reading reports of them (Celebrity) being relentless until you acknowledge them! ;)

Even if X were to come here and say, "sorry folks, we still don't have it fixed, so will sail as she has been since May" what would anyone do?

No one can cancel except for those with cruises in March or beyond. Anybody sailing Sunday will sail like it or not, or cancel and lose their cruise fares, unless X decides at the very last minute to cancel completely for some reason, which still wouldn't be best to get info here, .... X wouldn't allow a change of sailing for anyone beyond final payment unless they cancel outright the sailing.

I'm just looking at this from a logical pragmatic side....no commentary not he issue will be helpful on anyones vacation. It will be what it will be and likely, 99.9% will have the issue resolved. If it's not you'll hear about it on Sunday as you board as will the other 2000 passengers, versus the 100 or so from that cruise watching here.

I was also looking for an update. Just to see if any other changes were made during the dry dock. I read some rumors about getting the gastropub. We sail on her on the 25th and are excited to meet her.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The official celebrity repo posted months ago in one of the dozens of threads on this topic that no cellar masters conversion will be done, nor any other major refurbishments or changes. Just the azipod issue, and I would assume a lot of deep cleaning and brightening up will be done with all the crew on contract.

Hi.

Do you think this current Freeport drydock will totally fix the propulsion system of the Silhouette which has been causing the shortening or missing docking time in San Juan, Puerto Rico?

(Had to limit the ship top speed because of the propeller?)

I wish Celebrity would fully update customers to what is going on.

That IS the main reason for her to be drydocked: repairing the ailing starboard pod propulsion unit.

The time in drydock is more than sufficient to acheive THIS particular task.

Cheers

C

January 11 Silhouette passengers, We will be ready to sail.

You can have your Water Skis ready if anyone wants to Ski

Behind the Silhouette this trip, plus I can have you Cozumel

Sunday night for Happy Hour! Just have your credit cards ready.

My understanding ( and the source was the captain back in October) was that there was no failure as such, just an advice by the manufacturers to run one of the pods at a proportion of full power as they had detected a potential issue in a component in testing. Rather than force the issue and have it potentially fail mid cruise they took the manufacturers advice and made slight adjustments to itineraries when the plan required them to sail at more than 19 knots. The component could not be replaced at sea and so they had to wait for a dry dock. One assumes that the time allocated in dry dock was appropriate to the replacement of the part so unless it did not turn up I cannot see why there should be any worry over whether it has been fixed.

What other changes have been made during the dry dock? Gastropub?

Months ago in one of many threads the X rep stated nothing but azipods were being fixed. Specifically said no GastroBar (note it is called GastroBAR not GastroPUB...).

Edited by cle-guy

Months ago in one of many threads the X rep stated nothing but azipods were being fixed. Specifically said no GastroBar (note it is called GastroBAR not GastroPUB...).

So they would have done no painting anywhere , clean up :p

The X rep can can only report on info they were given, maybe it going to be a SURPRISE and have it done :D

Who gives a crap what they call it. If it's anything like the Bistro, or the Porch, I wish them well. ;)

We were on Connie just after she had a four day yard period after this year's TA for repair to the diesel engine requiring drydocking. Ship was sparkling, crew had enjoyed a few days on board - working but without pax - and were happy to have us back on board. Lots of small tasks done inside; cabins were deep cleaned; some decks repainted, etc.

My understanding ( and the source was the captain back in October) was that there was no failure as such, just an advice by the manufacturers to run one of the pods at a proportion of full power as they had detected a potential issue in a component in testing. Rather than force the issue and have it potentially fail mid cruise they took the manufacturers advice and made slight adjustments to itineraries when the plan required them to sail at more than 19 knots. The component could not be replaced at sea and so they had to wait for a dry dock. One assumes that the time allocated in dry dock was appropriate to the replacement of the part so unless it did not turn up I cannot see why there should be any worry over whether it has been fixed.

This is exactly what was communicated to us by the Captain during the December 7th sailing.

We were on Connie just after she had a four day yard period after this year's TA for repair to the diesel engine requiring drydocking. Ship was sparkling, crew had enjoyed a few days on board - working but without pax - and were happy to have us back on board. Lots of small tasks done inside; cabins were deep cleaned; some decks repainted, etc.

I bet they were happy to have guests back. No daily gratuities for those 4 days of work.....

I wonder if they get some sort of pay bump in these types of situations....?

I wonder if there will be any prep work done. for the new suite dining room. Loading materials etc

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

All will be answered tomorrow when passengers board the ship.

We're all hoping Silhouette is ready and fixed for Sun., the 11th....but as of this morning (Sat., the 10th) Silhouette is still in Freeport drydock according to all the ship tracker websites......this doesn't mean anything....just pointing it out....see all on-board...

Below is from Carnival Fantasy's live aft webcam. Looks Like Silhouette is still in Drydock.

http://ships.carnivalentertainment.com/#ship/carnival-fantasy/cameras

0c8294b32506041d12b53ed5b1d066f6.jpg

Hopefully they'll be adding water soon.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by need2bespoiled

Below is from Carnival Fantasy's live aft webcam. Looks Like Silhouette is still in Drydock.

http://ships.carnivalentertainment.com/#ship/carnival-fantasy/cameras

0c8294b32506041d12b53ed5b1d066f6.jpg

Hopefully they'll be adding water soon.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short distance from Freeport to Port Everglades. Ship not scheduled to dock there until 6:00 am Sunday. Suspect they will leave tonight.

Short distance from Freeport to Port Everglades. Ship not scheduled to dock there until 6:00 am Sunday. Suspect they will leave tonight.

Yeap, the ship next to it is floating out now, She's probably next.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Were sailing on the 25th so I called Celebrity last week to enquire. (I missed the mention of the Azipod problem) Anyway, the Celebrity rep fully briefed me and said I should experience no issues.

Funny, my 1st X cruise was on the Millennium back in 2000. The ship was very new and they were having lots of Azipod problems then, too. So much vibration that in the rear of the MDR you could barely hear your table mates speak. I think the Millennium may have been the first cruise ship to deploy with Azipod style propulsion.