Oasis returning to port?

Pilot53

In the bottom few paragraphs of this article, the author describes "one surfer in the pool with instructors at a time. " As unbelievable as it sounds, I think this occurred on the Flow Rider within an hour of setting sail. That's a very scary thought as I couldn't imagine there not being less than two very alert instructors there soon after the Flow Rider opening.

Thoughts and prayers to this child and family.

But it also said that the child could have been submerged from 5-10 minutes. I don't think that would be possible on the flowrider? :confused: Someone would be right there to pick them up???

EDIT: I believe the statement about "one surfer" was added by the OP, as it is not written in the actual article that you can view with the link that the OP provided.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I just got off the Oasis yesterday and I spent lots of time in the doughnut pool. I love Royal Caribbean, I am shareholder, and I loved our cruise, but honestly this was gross negligence on Royal Caribbean part I they deserve to be sued.

The doughnut pool on Oasis is very clearly marked to be 3 feet 5 inched deep (1.05 meters). That is 41 inches. My 6 year old son is 48 inches tall and the pool was a good 5 inches over his head.

I am a diligent parent, but when I got on the ship, the first thing I saw was the 3 feet 5 inches and I told my sone he could go in there ahead of me. He did, and I quickly had to jump in to fish him out because he was in way over his head.

I have no idea what happened, but I do have a 4 year old who is 43 inches. I could see the parents thinking it was ok for their son not realizing that the pool was labeled incorrectly.

This is very dangerous and it could have cost this child their life. Royal should have to answer to this mistake.

I am saddened by the number of posters who are eager to rush to judgement.

My friend's daughter experienced a near drowning in the backyard in a play bucket; lost all vitals and was brought back to life. Adults were feet away.

Young children can drown in as little as 1 inch of water. That means drowning can happen where you'd least expect it - the sink, the toilet bowl, fountains, buckets, pet bowls, birdbaths, wading pools, or small bodies of standing water around your home, such as ditches filled with rainwater. (Source: KidsHealth/The Nemours Foundation, June 2004, Most Kids Who Drowned Were Supervised, Study Finds)

Of course the subject at hand is quite different.

I doubt most caretakers provide constant supervision in the situations cited above, but you never know, the number of perfect parents on these boards never ceases to amaze me.

I agree with you too. There are not perfect parents. That's why I think in addition to parents taking responsibility there also needs to be lifeguards. Lifeguards who know CPR and also enforce rules. One of which should be that young children must wear life jackets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All I am saying is that we do not know what happened. Maybe just maybe the family was not spending time at the pool. Perhaps they were walking around, child walked away and this was a tragic accident while looking for child.

Yes, in a perfect world everyone is watching their children and this never happens but it's not a perfect world, is it. Children run off, parents yell for them, etc.

If the parents let the 4 yr old go unsupervised then yes, shame on them but my heart still breaks for their loss.

How about holding judgement if or when the story unfolds? I am a parent of a 10 yr old who has been cruising since she was a baby. Yes, my eyes are on her but a slight turn of the head and things can and do change. Just don't judge without knowing EVERYTHING. People or jumping to conclusions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by brenderlou

In my opinion, if you never look away around sinks, toilet bowls, dog bowls, (the drowning dangers that I cited from an article, and you deleted when you quoted my post), you certainly rank up there in the superparent category.

I'm sorry, but.....there is a big difference between an accident due to sinks, toilet bowls and dog bowls than when it includes a pool that is too deep for a small child.

No I don't consider myself in the "super parent" category. Only a very concerned one.

I stated in another post that we have a water park in our town with a wave pool. I get in with my granddaughter, she has a life jacket on no matter what and I NEVER let go of her.

It is an age thing, not a super parent thing. Just because I post that the child should have been monitored better doesn't make me a bad person.

I'm just pointing out the obvious.

I am very saddened by this and pray the child is okay. We were on Disney Dream when a child nearly drowned. It was horrible.

I do not have the answer for what needs to be done on cruise ships, but I do feel like for the safety of children something is going to have to be done. I'm not pointing fingers I am just saying bottom line no one wants this to happen so the cruise industry needs to address it. If a Lifeguard saves one child it would be worth it.

We are taking our 3 1/2 year old grandson and his parents on a Disney cruise in April. We have all agreed he will be in a life preserver of some sort at all times on the pool deck. We will also be using the tag method for who is in charge of him at all times. So if I have go to the bathroom I will physically hand him over to one of the other adults. I will still be worried, but hope these precautions will keep our little guy safe.

I will never get the picture of that poor lifeless little boy being carried off Disney Dream out of my head. I hope an answer is found soon.

But it also said that the child could have been submerged from 5-10 minutes. I don't think that would be possible on the flowrider? :confused: Someone would be right there to pick them up???

EDIT: I believe the statement about "one surfer" was added by the OP, as it is not written in the actual article that you can view with the link that the OP provided.

5-10 minutes?? :( Now that is a really long time for a child to be in the water without anyone noticing.

Very scary.

I just got off the Oasis yesterday and I spent lots of time in the doughnut pool. I love Royal Caribbean, I am shareholder, and I loved our cruise, but honestly this was gross negligence on Royal Caribbean part I they deserve to be sued.

The doughnut pool on Oasis is very clearly marked to be 3 feet 5 inched deep (1.05 meters). That is 41 inches. My 6 year old son is 48 inches tall and the pool was a good 5 inches over his head.

I am a diligent parent, but when I got on the ship, the first thing I saw was the 3 feet 5 inches and I told my sone he could go in there ahead of me. He did, and I quickly had to jump in to fish him out because he was in way over his head.

I have no idea what happened, but I do have a 4 year old who is 43 inches. I could see the parents thinking it was ok for their son not realizing that the pool was labeled incorrectly.

This is very dangerous and it could have cost this child their life. Royal should have to answer to this mistake.

As you did, when you saw it was too deep, you were right there to fish him out. I don't understand how this child could have been there for between five and ten minutes if there were adults around. I am not making judgments here, just wondering

Best method to prevent drowning is swimming lessons!!! A 3 yr old can learn how to swim, float and get to the side of a pool.

Supervision is key but every child who is around a pool should know the basics.

@OfTheSeasCruiser - The author of the article must have edited it from the original post on the Sun Sentinel. I copied the article directly from the webpage and provided the link. I did not add or change anything. I guess its a living article. If you look at the article in the original link, it now has a time of 1:50pm. So it seems that it has been updated.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Edited by Jason008

5-10 minutes?? :( Now that is a really long time for a child to be in the water without anyone noticing.

Very scary.

Direct quote from the article:

"The boy "was swept under" in the pool aboard the Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas, and remained underwater anywhere between an estimated five to 10 minutes, according to Mike Jachles, spokesman for Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue."

Very scary indeed. I'm not pointing fingers or blaming the parents, but it does not seem that this child was under supervision.

After re-reading the article and watching the video with the FD report, I agree with you. Article was poorly written on this point causing confusion.

I doubt most caretakers provide constant supervision in the situations cited above, but you never know, the number of perfect parents on these boards never ceases to amaze me.

You're probably right and that's a very sad fact. I cannot imagine not knowing exactly where my 6 year old daughter is every second she is near a pool.

Wow! No excuse for this post. Were you there? Step back and don't assume something you know nothing about.

I will not apologize for my post. As a mother of 2 sons and a certified life guard, there is no way on God's green earth that my child would have been under water for 5-10 minutes without me realizing that child was not in my sight. Don't put your children in the water if you are not within an arm's reach if something should happen.

I'm a strong swimmer and would never in my right mind swim alone.

Accidents can and do happen at any age and for any number of reasons.

Prayers contunue for that poor boy.

At their best, the news media gets things wrong on a regular basis. Add to that this article is poorly written so there is no way to really know what pool in which this happened, how it happened, or who was supervising. And we'll probably never know unless a witness (also unreliable) happens to post later.

Just my 2 cents.

At their best, the news media gets things wrong on a regular basis. Add to that this article is poorly written so there is no way to really know what pool in which this happened, how it happened, or who was supervising. And we'll probably never know unless a witness (also unreliable) happens to post later.

Just my 2 cents.

Which pool and who was supervising has no bearing on this tragedy. Someone wasn't watching and that poor child suffered the consequence of lack of supervision.

This story is eerily similar to Chase Lykken. A 4 year old boy pulled from a pool aboard the Disney Fantasy almost 2 years ago. Have been reading up on his progress on his Facebook page ever since. It's scary how quickly life can change in an instant. Sending prayers the family's way.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-05-07/news/os-disney-fantasy-chase-lykken-drown-20130507_1_disney-fantasy-port-canaveral-police-pool

I agree with you but not the previous post re: no excuse for lack of supervision. Tragic accidents happen. Perhaps each parent thought the other was watching or any # of scenarios. It's wrong and inappropriate to assume the child was left unsupervised. Some posters just love to point fingers and jump to conclusions. Compassion for the situation is what is needed.

I do have compassion..for the child that almost drowned.

Edited by celebrity

I cruise often on the allure and oasis with my 4 year old son. I never let him enter the lazy pool without me IN the pool with him. Watching him from outside is not a viable option because current in the pool is strong and most 4 year olds are not strong swimmers. The only conclusion I can come up with is the child ran into the pool without the parents noticing. Maybe they were distracted for a minute and the kid entered the pool without them knowing.

There was also the drowning on the Breakaway last year of two kids.

In any case, it can't be the flow rider - as there are people always watching and there is no water depth.

It's most likely that circular (as my kids call it - the toilet pool).

When my kids were that young, arm floats/life jackets were always worn and someone was watching regardless.

I feel for the parents...hope the kid is okay.

I cruise often on the allure and oasis with my 4 year old son. I never let him enter the lazy pool without me IN the pool with him. Watching him from outside is not a viable option because current in the pool is strong and most 4 year olds are not strong swimmers. The only conclusion I can come up with is the child ran into the pool without the parents noticing. Maybe they were distracted for a minute and the kid entered the pool without them knowing.[/quote

Kudos to you for watching out for your son. I've never sailed on Oasis so I'm unfamiliar with the lazy pool. Based upon your description, there should be an RCI employee posted to ensure that no child unsupervised can enter that pool.

Which pool and who was supervising has no bearing on this tragedy. Someone wasn't watching and that poor child suffered the consequence of lack of supervision.

Plenty of people have posted in this thread and another one trying to figure out where on the ship this happened in an effort to understand how it happened. No need to be dismissive.

Edited by Tenderpaw

You're probably right and that's a very sad fact. I cannot imagine not knowing exactly where my 6 year old daughter is every second she is near a pool.

Good for you. I feel the same way that you do but if you haven taken a lot of cruises you notice that there seems to be many different styles of parenting. On my recent cruise on Celebrity there was a 9 or 10 year old who had the run of the ship with his 5 or 6 year old brother for 7 days. What the parents should do and what they actually do is the reason ship security should be observent and why there should be lifeguards at pools to enforce the rules. A toddler can't pick his or hers parents.