Suggestions for our last cruise

Dame Delilah

We are both in our late 70's and have enjoyed over 30 cruises over many years. Travel is getting harder for us and we have decided to enjoy our final Transatlantic cruises in 2015.

We have booked a TA cruise on the Celebrity Constellation in April (with a return TA crossing on the Queen Mary 2).

Over the years, we have acquired Elite status on several cruise lines (Princess, Holland America, etc.); however this will only be our third trip on Celebrity so, there will be no added perks. We have booked a consierge class cabin and have booked dinners in two specialty restaurants. We've booked our shore excursions and planned for the non-alcoholic packages for both of us. (If we want a glass of wine, we have no problem paying for what we enjoy.)

Can anyone offer any other special things we should consider. We have done the Captains table several times on Princess crises and enjoyed it very much, but don't see anything similar on Celebrity.

We have travelled in suites in the past, but just don't see this as a possibility this time We don't mind paying for some of the special add ons, but want to know what is worth the added cost. Any Suggestions??

I suggest going to the roll call on cc for your cruise. See is anyone has organized any activities. Sign up for the cc meet and greet.

We did a cabin crawl, gift exchange and murder mystery on our last cruise. All were great fun.

Also, we like to do the wine tastings on the TAs.

Be sure to spend time at Cafe Al Bacio. Their coffee drinks are the best, but I love their fresh brewed iced teas. You get 2 glass pitchers, one that brews the flavored tea you choose and one filled with ice for the instant chill. Since you have the nonalcoholic pkg you won't be paying for the speciality drinks. Also, the snacks are free, and they are very good.

OP: For a little more money than Concierge Class, I would highly recommend Aqua Class, and its Blu Restaurant. Much better food in a more intimate environment.

Agree completely - UNLESS - you are into that "table for 8" in MDR and getting to know your tablemates. Blu is tables for 2 and you rarely have the same table twice. BUT if you do enjoy tables for 2...Blu is the way to go. You also have free access to The Aqua spa with heated loungers which is very nice on sea days.

As we experienced and others have concluded, the Blu menu is not for everyone. I would study the exemplars that have been posted before spending more for Aqua class on the basis of Blu alone.

Your grand finale plans sound lovely. I wish you a very happy voyage.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Dear dame d,

Enjoy your last transatlantic trips! How special. I noticed that your itinerary has the ship leaving Gibraltar at 3 pm. The views from the specialty restraurent Oceanliners is most excellent. That might we the prefect night to enjoy a special dinner with incrediable views.

Enjoy!!

The indoor thallasotherapy pool near the front of deck 10 is wonderful, especially for those with arthritis or creaky joints, and there is no charge for it.

It has metal seating areas down in the water on both sides where you can sit back, relax and enjoy the warm water bubbling up below you, providing your body with gentle massage.

In the same area, the aqua spa cafe offers some nice, healthy alternate food options each day at no charge.

There is also a free sauna in the nearby spa rest rooms, with a large window for looking out to sea while you enjoy the sauna.

For an ocean cruise especially with the possibility for encountering rough seas, if either of you has mobility or balance problems it could be a good idea to try to get one of the mid-ship accessible cabins.

Those have grab bars around the shower and toilet, a fold down seat in the shower, and a telephone in the bathroom as well as emergency cord, just in case.

Although designed for people who use wheel chairs or scooters, there is no problem with others who need them occupying them if still available close to the sail date.

As for another alternative restaurant, the Bistro on Five provides some very nice meals for only $7 per person.

Don't hesitate to use the wheelchair service offered for embarkation and disembarkation, if that would be helpful in making those procedures easier for you.

Wishing you wonderful cruises, with hopes that you enjoy them so much that they turn out not to be your last cruises after all.

Edited by fleckle

The Constellation is a wonderful M class ship. Her captain is one of the best storytellers. His announcements when ready to leave a port are not to be missed.

For late afternoons, try the small savories and scones with cream and jam offered on one side of the buffet . They also serve sushi in the buffet starting aorund 5pm. Take either of these offerings back to your cabin if you want and enjoy them with a nice glass wine you brought with you on board. You can bring two bottles of wine upon embarkation.You should have wine glasses in your cabin.

Try the Aqua Cafe in the solarium for breakfast too. It is available to all guest.

I started traveling to Europe rather late and know I have only so much time for all those clobbled, steep streets and tendering on island stops. Your final goodbye to Transatllantic cruising sounds perfect. What wonderful memories you must have of your 30 cruises. Do go to the meet an greet on one of the early days of your cruise, I would have loved to have met you both on my cruises on the Constellation.

Cheers!

On one night they usually hold a Connoisseur dinner in the specialty dining room with wine pairings. Inquire with one of the sommeliers early in the cruise as there are usually only ten to twelve spaces available. When we did it we had champagne and canapés to start in Cellar Masters with some officers and the Cellar Master then went to Ocean Liners for a great dinner paired with great wine.

Our last cruise we also did a very small group cooking lesson with champagne to start then wine pairings included with the lunch in Murano. We received a signed copy of their cookbook from the executive chef as well. It was a fun activity.

Have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums