A bit confused

cruisin321

Hi everyone, i am sailing in august. I wanted an insurance that will cover cancel for any reason in case the weather looks terrible (Possible tropical storm or hurricane coming in, i rather not go on the trip even if the captain will keep us out of harms way). I looked at travel guard which looks fantastic but it only covers 50% for cancel any reason, i wanted something higher. Also i was confused, i fly in the same day as the cruise. If my flight was delayed to the point where i would fly in after the ship left, or not make the cruise, what is that covered under? trip delay? trip interruption? Thanks!

Hi everyone, i am sailing in august. I wanted an insurance that will cover cancel for any reason in case the weather looks terrible (Possible tropical storm or hurricane coming in, i rather not go on the trip even if the captain will keep us out of harms way). I looked at travel guard which looks fantastic but it only covers 50% for cancel any reason, i wanted something higher. Also i was confused, i fly in the same day as the cruise. If my flight was delayed to the point where i would fly in after the ship left, or not make the cruise, what is that covered under? trip delay? trip interruption? Thanks!

Our TravelInsured policy would have paid 75% if we had used the CFAR.

You should check on the different choices with different insurers.

As for "how long between planned airline arrival and planned ship departure", you should check what is required as the minimum allowable connection time by YOUR POLICY.

We strongly suggest contacting Steve et al. at

TripInsuranceStore.com

CALL them rather than relying upon the summaries on the website, and tell them EXACTLY what your concerns/needs are, and they'll suggest appropriate choices for you.

GeezerCouple

I also agree with calling Steve. A little advance information might help, though. No third party policy covers 100% CFAR in cash. The best you will find is about 75%. The cruise line policies cover up to 100%, but it is in credit, to be used with a certain amount of time. Might help to think of it like a co-pay; they want you to take some of the financial burden on the reason.

Each policy has a specific time limit on missed connection and/or travel delay; some as low as 3 hours, some as much as 12. If your delay is less than the policy minimum, there is no compensation. This is very important to consider when flying in the day of the cruise. Also note the travel delay coverage may have a per diem limit as well as a total limit.

Trip interruption is a different coverage, it generally applies to the same specific reasons as applied to cancellation coverage before the trip, but it covers those events when they happen AFTER the trip has started.

I also agree with calling Steve. A little advance information might help, though. No third party policy covers 100% CFAR in cash. The best you will find is about 75%. The cruise line policies cover up to 100%, but it is in credit, to be used with a certain amount of time. Might help to think of it like a co-pay; they want you to take some of the financial burden on the reason.

Each policy has a specific time limit on missed connection and/or travel delay; some as low as 3 hours, some as much as 12. If your delay is less than the policy minimum, there is no compensation. This is very important to consider when flying in the day of the cruise. Also note the travel delay coverage may have a per diem limit as well as a total limit.

Trip interruption is a different coverage, it generally applies to the same specific reasons as applied to cancellation coverage before the trip, but it covers those events when they happen AFTER the trip has started.

Thanks for the help, yea i saw policies with missed connection/travel delays of about 3 hours. That would be perfect for us because if its about 5 hour delays we would probably miss the ship. But up until 5 hours we would make it. Thanks for the help. I also noticed steve's prices are double that of similar policies such as travelguard gold and more expensive than coverage found on insuremytrip.com

Weird that you found Steve's prices so high. He took care of insuring our May 2015 Baltic cruise for about the same price we paid for insurance on our May 2014 Baltic cruise that we had to cancel last minute because of my own medical emergency. I was not at all happy with the way my claim was handled but the insurer so I shopped around and Steve was most helpful helping me find good coverage for the new trip. Hopefully I won't have to use the insurance on this one. While it was a real pain dealing the the claims department and staff with the original insurer I sure am glad I bought insurance.....

Weird that you found Steve's prices so high. He took care of insuring our May 2015 Baltic cruise for about the same price we paid for insurance on our May 2014 Baltic cruise that we had to cancel last minute because of my own medical emergency. I was not at all happy with the way my claim was handled but the insurer so I shopped around and Steve was most helpful helping me find good coverage for the new trip. Hopefully I won't have to use the insurance on this one. While it was a real pain dealing the the claims department and staff with the original insurer I sure am glad I bought insurance.....

We'd question whether Steve/TripInsuranceStore's prices are higher at all IF you compare the SAME policies. There can be what appear to be subtle differences that might not be so subtle when push comes to shove, and the "fine print" comes into play. Insurance is a regulated industry in most places, and to the best of our knowledge, third party vendors such as Steve get paid by the insurer, not by the customer, so that doesn't affect the price either.

The third party vendors distinguish themselves on their service AND on which insurers and specific policies they offer.

Steve's group has "vetted" some, and they offer policies from insurers who generally PAY the claims without nonsense, etc.

We also had a last minute medical cancellation, and the (high) claim was paid without question once they had all of the documentation. In fact, we got a phone call that the check was ready to be sent, and sure enough, a few days later, the check arrived. No odd questions or stalling.

That is what matters, after all.

You should probably check again.

IF you can find IDENTICAL policies from the same insurer with the SAME terms (that is, with or without extra fees for "primary" vs. "secondary" medical coverage, or different age categories, etc.), then by all means report back!

Thanks.

GeezerCouple

I rechecked my dates and quotes and you were right. Steve has plans in my budget that fit my needs perfectly. I am not sure why when i first checked all of the prices seemed sky high, could be i entered my information incorrectly. Thanks everyone, will give them a call shortly

I rechecked my dates and quotes and you were right. Steve has plans in my budget that fit my needs perfectly. I am not sure why when i first checked all of the prices seemed sky high, could be i entered my information incorrectly. Thanks everyone, will give them a call shortly

You may have entered your total trip cost as per person. Doing that would probably double the coverage costs.