Caribbean islands

laurakdy

I am pretty sure Antigua had a small runway too, we did the tour of the island then we head to some shops and a bar, all wooden and sat out

Pretty sure you mean St Lucia. The Airport at Antigua is a fair way from the dock, but at St Lucia there is a small local airstrip and a small selection of shops and a bar or 2. If Rum was a dollar a bottle I wouldn't have made it back to the ship. :x:-y> ( work that one out ):D

To get back to the OP's question, this is a photo I took from the ship in St Lucia. I'm pretty sure the runway is along there.

b46mx5.jpg

From memory, the airstrip I have in mind would be immediately on the left, not forward which would appear to be looking towards Castries.

There are two berthing points in Castries. One is to the left of the town as you sail in (Pointe Seraphine) - where there is a terminal with some shop units although they weren't all occupied when we were there. If you are docked there you have to walk to the right around the bay to the town centre. I think this is where you describe. The other berth (Port Castries) is right in the town centre - you walk out of the Port straight onto the main street in town. So that may explain the different impressions of what different people remember about what was beyond the dock area.

I think St Lucia is the place you mean too.

Thankyou everyone. You are spot on with this post. We docked at both as well.

I googled it also and the pics are exactly as I remember it.

Oh, canny wait to go back! Woo hoo...👍😎

Has anyone been to maho beach on st maartan it's one where you can watch the planes land and take off

Yeah great beach but if you are going specifically to watch the planes then check the arrivals for the time you intend to be there as some hours of the day there are only small inter island turbo props landing and they are a non event.

Ideally and as per the amazing videos on YouTube you want a wide bodied from KLM or Air France touching down or departing.

Has anyone been to maho beach on st maartan it's one where you can watch the planes land and take off

Went there last February. Caught the local bus (white van) in Back Street, it only cost $2pp each way. It reminded me of the scene in Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, the beach was full of people with their cameras pointed up in the sky :)

Edited by hammers

A question for you guys who have done Caribbean cruises.

We have been on Azura and Ventura , with another Azura trip December 2015.

We are taking friends this time and trying to remember some of the islands we went to, as were going to a few different one's this time, which is lovely.

The one we can't remember is (hope I can explain this ok), when docked it overlooks a small runway where we watched the planes coming and going rather scarily landing onto this very small runway.

There was also quite a few shops which you had to go through to get to the taxis etc.

we ended up at a ramshackle of a bar selling rum and bottles of beef for 1 dollar, whilst belting out karaoke! It was abs hilarious and a lot of the crew joined in.

Does that ring a bell with anyone and any idea what island it was?

just can't remember what it's called. Would love to take our friends back there. We had such a laugh and I got a beautiful watch to boot! 😎👍

Pretty sure you are referring to St Lucia. We always have a couple of beers in the bar which sold the cheap beers. Last time we were there they were $3 for two.

I have seen mentioned more than once in this thread, a bar that would seem to be my idea of fun.

Can anybody give me a more precise location please as I would like to give it my custom.

Thanks in anticipation.

I'm sure someone will be able to tell you where the bar is exactly (I think from what people have described you pass it on the way from Port Seraphine bearing right towards the town which is round the bay) but bear in mind that you could be berthed at Port Castries right in the town (I believe the Azura is berthed there on our sailing later this month) in which case you would have to bear left out of town going round the bay towards Port Seraphine.

Google Port Seraphine St Lucia

Zoom on cruise ship. To the rear is a semicircle of shops the far left one with a grassed area at its side is the Karaoke Bar.

Cb

Got it.

Checked out some pics posted as well.

Thanks for the info.

Six weeks today flight to Barbados.

Google Port Seraphine St Lucia

Zoom on cruise ship. To the rear is a semicircle of shops the far left one with a grassed area at its side is the Karaoke Bar.

Cb

At the end of the promontory of the cruise terminal? I can visualise where you mean now. I guess since it's within Port Seraphim, if you're docked at Port Castries (as we are on Azura later this month) we wouldn't be able to get to it as I expect it's inside the secure port area. Would that be your view too?

At the end of the promontory of the cruise terminal? I can visualise where you mean now. I guess since it's within Port Seraphim, if you're docked at Port Castries (as we are on Azura later this month) we wouldn't be able to get to it as I expect it's inside the secure port area. Would that be your view too?

We berthed at Port Seraphine on Azura in December

Cb

We berthed at Port Seraphine on Azura in December

Cb

This may have changed but when I went into the Port schedules for Castries some weeks ago it had Azura down for berths #3 & #4 at the Port of Castries on the date of our visit with two other ships docked at Port Seraphine. I think a Windstar or similar was at anchor too. Perhaps there are too many ships in for them all to be at the cruise terminal. Unfortunately I can't find the site again where I found that info as what appears to be the official site doesn't show the schedules past Nov 2014.

we are due on our first cruise next week! Any tips are great,y appreciated :):)

Go with an open mind, too many people have preconceptions based on other people's experiences. Don't worry about any tiny issues that you may encounter.

From your name I assume that you are from that city with a great maritime history thanks to Captain Edward Smith. There are lots of Stokies on this forum.

Enjoy your cruise.