Caribbean islands

laurakdy

A question for you guys who have done Caribbean cruises.

We have been on Azura and Ventura , with another Azura trip December 2015.

We are taking friends this time and trying to remember some of the islands we went to, as were going to a few different one's this time, which is lovely.

The one we can't remember is (hope I can explain this ok), when docked it overlooks a small runway where we watched the planes coming and going rather scarily landing onto this very small runway.

There was also quite a few shops which you had to go through to get to the taxis etc.

we ended up at a ramshackle of a bar selling rum and bottles of beef for 1 dollar, whilst belting out karaoke! It was abs hilarious and a lot of the crew joined in.

Does that ring a bell with anyone and any idea what island it was?

just can't remember what it's called. Would love to take our friends back there. We had such a laugh and I got a beautiful watch to boot! 😎👍

St. Lucia has an airstrip just behind a treeline adjacent to the cruise liner berth.

Can't recall a parade of shops though.

My husband did suggest St Lucia but I didn't think it was there.

I wouldn't call it a strip of shops a such. When the ship docked, you overlooked the arcade of shops, which included couple of bars, jewellery shops, all the usual in these places. The bar was over to the left and boats came in and out at the far left as well, taking people in and out on trips. You had to walk through to actually leave. There was no other way to pick up a taxi etc...

Right from our cabin we could see the planes coming in landing and taking off. Was a very small runway. Could be St Lucia and its on our itinery again, which would be great...

Sorry, def not St Martaan..xxx

No probs, to be honest I'm on my iPhone and just skimmed your post and read watching planes from a Caribbean Island, then the last bit about a buying a watch and St Maarten is known for tax free watches.

Glad you got your answer.

My husband did suggest St Lucia but I didn't think it was there.

I wouldn't call it a strip of shops a such. When the ship docked, you overlooked the arcade of shops, which included couple of bars, jewellery shops, all the usual in these places. The bar was over to the left and boats came in and out at the far left as well, taking people in and out on trips. You had to walk through to actually leave. There was no other way to pick up a taxi etc...

Right from our cabin we could see the planes coming in landing and taking off. Was a very small runway. Could be St Lucia and its on our itinery again, which would be great...

There are two berthing points in Castries. One is to the left of the town as you sail in (Pointe Seraphine) - where there is a terminal with some shop units although they weren't all occupied when we were there. If you are docked there you have to walk to the right around the bay to the town centre. I think this is where you describe. The other berth (Port Castries) is right in the town centre - you walk out of the Port straight onto the main street in town. So that may explain the different impressions of what different people remember about what was beyond the dock area.

I think St Lucia is the place you mean too.

Edited by kruzseeka

I am pretty sure Antigua had a small runway too, we did the tour of the island then we head to some shops and a bar, all wooden and sat out

Antigua has a large runway, unless there is a secondary small airfield somewhere on the island?

There is a daily 777 flight from Gatwick to Antigua with BA and Virgin also operate either a 747 or A330 there as well, all of which need a lot of tarmac to land.