LittleMissMagic's ~INDEPENDENCE~ Christmas Cruise **Photo Review**

I'm old fashioned and still wear my watch. I don't carry my phone with me on cruises because of roaming charges. I did have it on the ship though and it did not change to match local time. (It was on airport mode to avoid accidentally accessing data and incoming phone calls - not sure if that is why it didn't change or not. It's an iphone.)

Never thought about airplane mode while on ship. I will do that. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When your phone is in 'airplane mode' the time will not change on it's own. One must, and can, change it through the settings. I carry my phone with me almost all the time as I have books and games to fill those times before shows begin and I have also downloaded a great app called shipmate. It has makes of the ships so if you are on a new one, you can use it to find out where you should be instead of where you are! I have an iPhone. Don't know if there is one for other phones.

The two of you were wearing very high heels for those night pictures on the Promenade. Was that safe what with Rachel in a walking boot?

There, that's the parent in me nagging.

As usual, great pictures.

Rachel's goal was to be able to wear heels for the second formal night. She really just wore them for photos and changed into flats after, but she was feeling a lot better towards the end of the week and was slowly transitioning out of the boot. I should also note that Rachel is a natural in heels - we joke that she walks faster and more gracefully in heels than in normal shoes. Safe? Maybe not. But she's an adult and can make her own decisions.

The next week at Disney, she was able to wear tennis shoes most days, wearing her walking boot only when she felt she needed it due to the parks we were going to or how long we'd be at the parks.

OMG!! That dress!! Where did your sister get it? Who is the designer? I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! Please tell me it's something I can order online from Canada... or buy while in Texas next month...? Spectacular!

Celine

I asked Rachel, and it's by Jessica Simpson. I think she got it from Dillards or Nordstrom.

Rachel and I returned to our room and were watching The Santa Clause 2 on our stateroom television when I couldn't help but notice the beautiful golden glow on our balcony divider.

16163868140_8e21970052_b.jpg

Balcony Glow by vshingl, on Flickr

15731276623_5a7e4a437d_b.jpg

Balcony Stateroom by vshingl, on Flickr

16163867670_58dcce03e9_b.jpg

Balcony by vshingl, on Flickr

Olive or Twist

Rachel had arranged to meet Mom and Dad for pre-dinner cocktails, but forget to tell me... and we ended up arriving fifteen minutes late. Dad thought we had ditched them. Talk about terrible dates!

To add to the terribleness, in the hurry to get out the door, I reached into my backpack and grabbed the plastic card I assumed was my SeaPass. It wasn't until I sat down at Olive or Twist that I realized I was instead holding an old Disney PhotoPass card. I did not have my SeaPass.

This, of course, was the night that we got ID'd. The bartender asked if we were both over 21, and we responded yes. Rachel showed her SeaPass, and I did not offer mine. She seemed a little suspicious of me, but she served me, anyway. The irony is that I'm older than Rachel, but for some reason no one ever guesses that or wants to believe it.

15731276193_ebac798f0d_b.jpg

Olive or Twist by vshingl, on Flickr

Olive or Twist is the cute name for the location typically called the Viking Crown Lounge on Royal Caribbean ships. It has a wonderful view overlooking the pool deck below.

16350337682_20b6ca10e4_b.jpg

Olive or Twist by vshingl, on Flickr

Romeo & Juliet Dining Room

I believe the dish below is brie cheese, but I cannot recall or locate its official menu name.

16349478151_ce762f788b_b.jpg

VIC_4918 by vshingl, on Flickr

I felt a little guilty ordering the Tandori Chicken as an entree on Christmas Day because it didn't seem at all a traditionally festive dish, but I found it to be the most intriguing item on the menu.

16349478061_324b397528_b.jpg

VIC_4922 by vshingl, on Flickr

And this is some sort of chocolate cake...

16350337332_dceb90af14_b.jpg

VIC_4924 by vshingl, on Flickr

The Quest

After dinner, the entire family headed to Labyrinth for 50% off ladies cocktails. I was even able to purchase drinks for my dad and receive the discount. This is the best drink promotion I have ever seen on a cruise ship... specialty cocktails for $4 - it's incredible!

Having pre-gamed we arrived at Studio B for Quest a little late to get actual seats. The ice rink was packed, and many people were standing and sitting in the aisles, which I don't believe is suitable for fire codes, but I'm not complaining. Our team captain really stunk. I tried to help her out by bringing her a comb for "false teeth" but she refused to take it. "It works! I promise!" She wouldn't. How lame. I was also incredibly disappointed that I didn't get to do the worm because I am pretty fantastic at the worm. Yes, I am bragging, but give me a break - this is the only dance move I am good at!

In our cruise director, Jaime's typical style, he stretched out every single Quest to last as long as possible (well, not the Quests themselves, but the time between them). He can't just crack one joke and move on. He has to make a big, giant deal about everything. Shut-up, Jaime... you would be funnier if you said less. Just like I witnessed perhaps the longest game of Love & Marriage ever earlier in the cruise, I witnessed possibly the longest game of Quest this night.

Bored of the incredibly drawn out game, Rachel and I left Studio B to take advantage of 50% off ladies cocktails in Labyrinth before it ended at midnight. We took our drinks to-go and brought them back to Studio B... to find that Quest was still going.

16163626248_df8ea2326e_b.jpg

Towel Animal by vshingl, on Flickr

Please tell me about the shows? Some people have posted they are awful is this true? If you did see show which ones and how would you rate them? Thank you

Unfortunately, it IS true. Their two main shows are "Invitation to Dance" and "Once Upon a Time". Both of them have been on the ship for 5+ years, I think?

Either way, the costumes and music is really outdated, choreography is cheesy, they're just really bad. (I've seen better productions at our local high school, honestly!)

Hopefully you'll have a headliner or special guest onboard for an extra show. And even if you don't, there are plenty of other wonderful things to do onboard!

Please tell me about the shows? Some people have posted they are awful is this true? If you did see show which ones and how would you rate them? Thank you

I don't bother with the theater shows because they are pretty awful. The singers and dancers just aren't very talented - one should not go expecting Broadway-caliber productions (exceptions being Royal's newest ships, Oasis, Allure, and Quantum, which do feature Broadway shows). I've been able to watch really high-quality shows, so I don't like to spend time watching sub-par entertainment.

I did enjoy the ice skating show on Independence, and I have always enjoyed ice shows on Royal Caribbean ships in the past. These have a much higher level of production and feature some great talent.

I don't bother with the theater shows because they are pretty awful. The singers and dancers just aren't very talented - one should not go expecting Broadway-caliber productions (exceptions being Royal's newest ships, Oasis, Allure, and Quantum, which do feature Broadway shows). I've been able to watch really high-quality shows, so I don't like to spend time watching sub-par entertainment.

I did enjoy the ice skating show on Independence, and I have always enjoyed ice shows on Royal Caribbean ships in the past. These have a much higher level of production and feature some great talent.

If you've never seen the shows on Indy how can u say they are awful? It's like saying I never ate in a certain restaurant cause the food was awful! Not only Oasis class has great shows. Liberty of the Seas has 2 of the best shows I've ever seen.

If you've never seen the shows on Indy how can u say they are awful? It's like saying I never ate in a certain restaurant cause the food was awful! Not only Oasis class has great shows. Liberty of the Seas has 2 of the best shows I've ever seen.

Like food or anything else, show opinions are subjective. We lived in NYC for many years and have seen lots of Broadway and off-Broadway shows. Trust me: cruise ship shows are nowhere NEAR Broadway quality. I would equate the ones on Indy to a mediocre high school production. Dated music, cheesy costumes, lack of choreography...ugh, they're just plain bad!

Oasis/Allure have spent more on productions and people seem to like those shows more overall. But the lack of show quality on Freedom class ships is no secret around here! Your onboard cruise hours are limited, so I don't blame her for not even trying! Why waste an hour a night when you can do something else?

Edited by micmacmissy
typo

Ok, I've seen them. They are awful.

Ok, I've seen them. They are awful.

Fair enough. I've been on some ships where the production shows were not that great but others like Liberty in particular where the shows where amazing. They had a superb cast of singers and dancers and the orchestra was the best I had heard on a cruise. Subjectivity? Sure. Hit or miss? Could be. Worth a try at least one night of a cruise to see how it is? Up to the individual. That's the beauty of cruising- freedom of choice

Really love your reviews. Almost enough that I wish we could all just pay for you to cruise all year round and send in reviews! Or maybe i'll cruise around, take pictures, send them to you, and you can make up the commentary!

When is your next cruise planned?

Keep them coming!

Let me rephrase - I don't bother with Royal Caribbean shows because I have seen them on other ships, and they are awful. I did not see any shows on Indy, so I cannot speak specifically to the shows on that ship. But I did see the parade, and while I'll save those details for later, it was far from impressive.

Also, what people think is good and bad really depends on experience and personal preference. It's all subjective. So my review is going to reflect my personal biases. I am not pretending that they do not exist.

Really love your reviews. Almost enough that I wish we could all just pay for you to cruise all year round and send in reviews! Or maybe i'll cruise around, take pictures, send them to you, and you can make up the commentary!

When is your next cruise planned?

Keep them coming!

Thank you for the wonderful compliment! I actually don't have a future cruise planned at the moment. Since relocating to Los Angeles, I feel like I need to take advantage of this opportunity to explore the west coast, so a cruise isn't the first thing on my radar right now (shocking, I know!).

Loving your review so far & looking forward to more pics. Loved the pics of the Christmas decorations, I really think they were better on this ship than on Oasis when we sailed during the first part of the holiday.

I have one question which I have never asked before or checked it out when on the ship, but is there a charge to play golf ? :confused:

Loving your review so far & looking forward to more pics. Loved the pics of the Christmas decorations, I really think they were better on this ship than on Oasis when we sailed during the first part of the holiday.

I have one question which I have never asked before or checked it out when on the ship, but is there a charge to play golf ? :confused:

no charge for mini golf

The Flowrider

The day before, we met a guy in the hot tub (a dentist from Canada) who loves the Flowrider. He told us that he books his vacations based on places that have Flowriders. And he tried to convince Rachel and me to try it.

Don't get your hopes up - you will see no photos of me on the Flowrider because I never did it. And Rachel had a walking boot on, so she definitely wasn't doing it, and I'm thankful that she didn't follow through with her plan to force me to. I enjoyed watching other people do it (meh, let's be honest - I enjoyed watching people wipeout more). But I just had no desire to get out there and try it myself. It just seemed like too much effort. First I would have to fill out a waiver, signing away my health. Then I would have to stand in a ridiculously long line. I would have to get a perfectly good t-shirt wet (because Flowrider guy warned us that we should wear shirts because the water will push your bikini top up). All of that just to fall down and get washed away by a powerful jet-stream of water. Maybe next time.

Our Canadian Flowriding fan was really good, though. Definitely the best I saw all cruise. I guess if you vacation just to Flowride, you must be pretty great at it.

16004647129_258165ef11_b.jpg

Flowrider by vshingl, on Flickr

We watched stand-up Flowriding. They also have kneeboarding. We were told that on megaships Oasis and Allure, there are two Flowriders - one dedicated to kneeboarding and the other stand-up.

16164886326_b73d219f2c_b.jpg

And they do help you out. The employees will show you how to stand on the board and hold your hands, walking you out towards the center until you get your balance.

16004721479_3c254113fb_b.jpg

16189921342_5e9c0dd192_b.jpg

H20 Zone by vshingl, on Flickr

Time to Spa

I swear that the spa service that Royal Caribbean contracts has had a name change because I know I have filled out those exact forms before, but I don't remember it being called "timetospa". Anyway, Norwegian uses the same spa company on their cruise ships, too.

I'm not a big massage girl. Rachel gets a massage every cruise, but I haven't had a massage since the Serenade of the Seas in 2010.... when I was in high school! Lately, though, my back has been hurting... perhaps due to my old age or maybe the heavy bookbag that I carry back and forth to school. Whatever the reason, I really wanted a massage.

Rachel suggested that I try the hot stone massage, so I did. I've always been curious about hot stones, especially since they might be shown in at least 70% of all massage advertising materials.

First my masseuse asked me my age. I know I have a baby face, but I'm getting a little tired of people telling me I look 17. But apparently Royal Caribbean has a Teen Spa, now, and the prices are better. So if you are under 18, you should definitely check out the Teen Spa menu.

My masseuse, Anna, was really friendly and seemed to genuinely care that I enjoyed the massage. She talked to me about areas of pain before we started and what my "goals" were from the massage. There were a few awkward moments. Like at one point, she told me that my massage was really expensive, so she wanted me to get the most out of it. "Do you know how much it costs?" "Actually, no." The menus don't have prices on them. "$195." "Oh, okay." I didn't think that was a bad price, but then she kind of freaked me out by telling me that it was expensive. I didn't know any better... was I overpaying? Did I book something I didn't need? (Afterwards, Rachel told me that the price was typical and that hers cost the same.)

I really enjoyed the massage, though. The hot stones were neat - I didn't know much about them, but it turns out that they don't just set them on your back, but rub them all over first. I thought it was a good pace, and she did spend extra time focusing on the area that I had pointed out to her as being a trouble spot.

The end of spa procedures is what makes me really uncomfortable because that's when you get a sales pitch. They'll write you a "prescription" and tell you all of these things you need to do, using big fancy buzzwords like "toxins". So the entire time she was giving me her "scientific" reason for my back pain, I was just waiting for the sales pitch. At one point, she told me all of this stuff I need to do and looks at me - "Will you do this for yourself, Victoria?" "Uh, I don't know." "What don't you know? Don't you want what is best for your body?" "I ... I guess." "Then why won't you do this for yourself?" "I don't know.... aren't you trying to sell me something? Because I'm not really in a good place to buy things right now." I might have offended her. She told me that she wasn't trying to sell me anything and gave me my "prescription" on a card so that I could come back if I decided I did want to buy the products that she wasn't trying to sell me. I tipped her additionally for my awkwardness.

So despite my social weirdness, it was good. And I think I'll get a massage again... and I won't wait five years this time.

Yeah, my husband and I were on the EPIC in November and I had a very pushy massage therapist after my massage. I understand that's part of it, but it really made me uncomfortable. I have the start of a vericose vein on my upper thigh...have had it since I've been in my early 20s (am now 38) and she really gave me hard time about it, saying I needed to improve my circulation and rid my body of toxins. I need to get a a massage "at least" 3 times a week and then use $400 worth of fancy oils and body brushes to cleanse my body and skin and roll back the clock. REALLY? REALLY? So while I, too, enjoyed the massage portion, I didn't enjoy the high pressure sales pitch.

• 3 weeks later...
I asked Rachel, and it's by Jessica Simpson. I think she got it from Dillards or Nordstrom.

Thank you for checking with her... I'm going online shopping now!! :D

Sad to hear you don't have another cruise booked at the moment... I LOVE reading your reviews!! Maybe you can join us on the Coral Princess for the Panama Canal in September? :D

Celine

• 1 month later...

Hello, friends - have you missed me? :p

I apologize for my absence. Grad school has taken over my life. On top of that, I spent some time in the ER and learned that I have asthma (and I'd noticed some of the symptoms for at least four years but had never thought anything of it). I also spent a lovely spring break visiting my uncle and aunt in San Francisco - it had been ten years since my last visit.

Okay, now back to your very delayed TR....

[Day 7] Labadee, Haiti

Our final port of call was Royal Caribbean's private island, Labadee, located on the north coast of Haiti.

We were awake early enough to watch us sail into port, and were ready to get off the ship. They made an announcement that the ship was not yet cleared and that they would make another announcement when we could get off. So we waited... and waited... Rachel and I saw our stateroom attendant and asked him if we could go to shore, yet, and he told us that they hadn't announced it, but it should be very soon.

16445025232_f006fbd628_b.jpg

Labadee by vshingl, on Flickr

We decided to go wait in the Promenade. That's when we stepped outside and realized... PEOPLE WERE ALREADY GOING ASHORE! We had been waiting half an hour for the announcement, and we could have already been off the ship!

16444208251_75727e9b89_b.jpg

Cruise Ships by vshingl, on Flickr

We were in port with Legend of the Seas. Everyone on our sailing's roll call was disappointed that we would have to share Labadee with another ship. However, I think that the Legend of the Seas passengers had greater reason to be disappointed, having to share the private island with an additional 4,000 people. We hardly noticed their additional 2,000 people.

16259722259_0d129ba0aa_b.jpg

Legend of the Seas by vshingl, on Flickr

16258300398_40d14a3efe_b.jpg

Cruise Ships by vshingl, on Flickr