LittleMissMagic's ~INDEPENDENCE~ Christmas Cruise **Photo Review**

Sorry for the delay in responding.....

Mullet is to the right if you are facing Maho, and you can definitely walk over to it, probably a 10 min walk depending on your pace.

There is a food shack that sells the BEST back ribs, smothered in yummy bbq sauce, be sure to try if ribs are your thing - cheap too, about $6. :)

Sorry for the delay in responding.....

Mullet is to the right if you are facing Maho, and you can definitely walk over to it, probably a 10 min walk depending on your pace.

There is a food shack that sells the BEST back ribs, smothered in yummy bbq sauce, be sure to try if ribs are your thing - cheap too, about $6. :)

Thanks Robyn, I love ribs!:)

I'm fascinated with the beach photos! (Especially in Post #109). Total craziness, but it looks like everyone's enjoying themselves. I love the shot of the family (?) using the Selfie Stick... and the picture after that, too, where you can see the family on the left, still trying for the perfect shot. Great stuff!

I think your first photo in post 111 is one of the boats for the snorkel tour we will be doing in St Maarten. It sure looks like the ones on their website. I wasn't sure how close they would try to get us to the planes. Looks like they may get closer than I thought they would! :D

I loved the pictures of you and Rachel doing the airplane pose with the airplanes! Great idea! :cool:

Dad really struggled taking photos of us with the planes. He would cut off part of our faces or just miss the plane entirely. Every time, he'd bring me the camera. "Check them out." "Dad, you were supposed to get us in the photo, too." "What? You're not in there?" "No, that's just the top of my head. What were you doing???" "What!?! I give up! I'm not taking anymore photos!" And then five minutes later, he'd come back. "Give me your camera, a plane is coming! Quick!"

But the wonderful thing about digital cameras is that there is instant feedback and no film wasted. I'll spare you from viewing the bloopers (at least right now).

16003356648_2ca733e358_b.jpg

Maho Beach by vshingl, on Flickr

16003354528_b80be5cd34_b.jpg

16004741709_8615cfe920_b.jpg

Airplane by vshingl, on Flickr

16003353218_5884c8a874_b.jpg

Carib by vshingl, on Flickr

I am a huge fan of Carib Lager. It's a fabulous beer. I go to a specialty beer store just to get it here. The lack of Caribbean makes it a little less refreshing. Haha!

In fact the first time I had a Carib was in St. Maarten, where I ordered a Heineken and the beach assistant suggested I try Carib instead. A life changing event! LOL

Really enjoying your awesome review and pictures.

Maho Beach

16164987026_144f2b3604_b.jpg

This picture just cracks me up -- you captured them perfectly!

I thought there was a new fence to keep folks away from the airport. Your photo of the people at the fence looks like it's the original fence. Of course, we haven't been there in a couple of years...

Looking forward to your next day!

This is my fav pic of yours from Maho!

What was your mode of transportation to and fro?

We took a cab from the taxi stand in port to and from the beach. I say cab, but it was actually a 18-passenger van that was stuffed full of people. I believe it was $8-10 each way.... somewhere in that range.

Great photos!

We always go to Mullet Bay Beach which is right next door to Maho - close enough to see the planes, but far enough away to have a relaxing beach day.

Carib beer is my favorite - I was shocked to find it in Toronto, and now there are always a few bottles in my fridge ;) you know, to remind me of the Caribbean between cruises;)

All of this talk about Mullet Bay Beach has me intrigued! I'll have to check that out next time I visit St. Maarten.

DH & I will be sailing on the Independence in 4 days--same itinerary. So I am thrilled to be able to follow your review. Thank you!

Did you attend the Mystery Dinner Theater?

I've actually never attended the Mystery Dinner Theater. It's something that I always forget about, but I want to try it out sometime.

Wait.. you can't stop. I need to know if you guys got the airplane/airplane picture with both of you in it!!

We didn't! It was nearing time to go, and we decided that the photo of Rachel flying solo was funnier than our desired results.

This picture just cracks me up -- you captured them perfectly!

I thought there was a new fence to keep folks away from the airport. Your photo of the people at the fence looks like it's the original fence. Of course, we haven't been there in a couple of years...

Looking forward to your next day!

I think it's funny that they are standing exactly the same! You'd think they were posing for me.

Port of St. Maarten

Our cab driver back to the ship took a wrong turn and got us stuck in traffic. It took us half an hour to get from the port to Maho Beach. It took us over an hour to get back! Ridiculous! Our all-aboard time was 5:30, and we rolled into port at 5:00!

15570989623_3596c44352_b.jpg

St. Maarten by vshingl, on Flickr

16003466430_7ae51583e4_b.jpg

Cruise Ships by vshingl, on Flickr

16164970696_31e21b9027_b.jpg

Port of St. Maarten by vshingl, on Flickr

16190009812_73a67b960a_b.jpg

Disney Fantasy by vshingl, on Flickr

Nice to see that ugly Zuiderdam had left port, giving me a full view of the Norwegian Getaway.

16190803905_3764c570d9_b.jpg

Norwegian Getaway by vshingl, on Flickr

16190803685_e63724bdbf_b.jpg

Port of St. Maarten by vshingl, on Flickr

In case you couldn't tell, I have a big school-girl crush on the Disney Fantasy..

16190803435_4717a35474_b.jpg

16190009302_f90968c759_b.jpg

16190008922_a7d88446a7_b.jpg

Independence of the Seas by vshingl, on Flickr

16164972896_c5a9d520c6_b.jpg

Johnny Rockets

We got back on the ship so late that the Windjammer had closed in preparation for dinner. There were only two options for food... Sorrento's Pizza or Johnny Rockets. So if you don't want pizza, you're forced to either come up with the $6 for a burger and fries, or go back to the cabin and hope that room service doesn't take too long.

In the mood for French Fries, we opted to revisit Johnny Rockets.

16164972006_b56e999490_b.jpg

Johnny Rockets by vshingl, on Flickr

This time I got a hot dog. So that was a good thing. Because last time I was torn between a hot dog and a hamburger.

16003344428_d775418dbc_b.jpg

Johnny Rockets Hot Dog by vshingl, on Flickr

And it also enabled me to have a Hot Fudge Sundae. So I guess I can't complain too much.

16004731929_a1a4c8c03d_b.jpg

Hot Fudge Sundae by vshingl, on Flickr

I was incredibly disappointed that there was not a ship horn battle, especially with the Disney Fantasy in port! You don't know how bummed I was that the Disney Fantasy didn't honk "When You Wish Upon a Star." I think she must have understood my infatuation with her and decided to play hard to get.

16003344358_ea9bbd5b61_b.jpg

St. Maarten by vshingl, on Flickr

Romeo & Juliet Dining Room

So we basically ate Johnny Rockets, then went and got ready to eat dinner. That meant we weren't hungry at dinner.

Also, please tell me I'm not the only one here with a dirty mind...

16004749489_5bb40dff72_b.jpg

Menu by vshingl, on Flickr

The unfortunate thing is that on the night that I was perhaps the least hungry, they served the best dish ever - Singapore Noodles. Seriously, it was my favorite entree all week, and the first time I was actually impressed by the food.

15568425294_eb76a2d240_b.jpg

Singapore Noodles by vshingl, on Flickr

For dessert, Cappuccino Layer Cake.

16190818455_4c1529f27a_b.jpg

Cappuccino Layer Cake by vshingl, on Flickr

Love & Marriage

Note: If you have never seen Love & Marriage before, this post contains SPOILERS (you don't want to spoil your first time because that's probably the funniest it will ever be).

I was excited for the Love & Marriage Game Show. It was the first show that actually interested me. Getting pretty sick of the "Ooohy, oohy, let's get groovy baby!" and "Tarzan, Tarzan, where is my Tarzan?" audition lines. I've been watching this show for maybe ten years (yeah, as a kid I found that they play it on the stateroom televisions... beware, parents of corruptible children), and they always use the same audition pieces! Can they not get anymore creative?

The audience members have certainly gotten raunchier, though. I noticed that though we were voting by applause, two times when it was close, the Activities Director, Alison, chose to go ahead and eliminate the overly intoxicated and affectionate couples. So if you want to play the game, I would suggest keeping it PG-13 in the auditions because they tend to not want unpredictable, R-rated people on the stage.

The cruise director, Jamie Fentiman, is a bit long-winded for my taste. Everything he did, he would drag out to last forever. From the morning show, to Love & Marriage and Quest, Jamie really liked to hear himself talk. Sure, he had some funny lines, but sometimes less is more. Stop when you're ahead.

16003361218_fbf4835f63_b.jpg

Love & Marriage by vshingl, on Flickr

The show lasted nearly two hours! Ridiculous! We were so exhausted afterwards that we went straight to bed.

15571002683_015f50b67c_b.jpg

Towel Animal by vshingl, on Flickr

Singapore Noodles. Seriously, it was my favorite entree all week, and the first time I was actually impressed by the food.

15568425294_eb76a2d240_b.jpg

Singapore Noodles by vshingl, on Flickr

No, you aren't. :p

That looks great. Something I will order for sure.

Edited by A&L_Ont

For what its worth, I love seeing the photos of the other ships in port. (Just in case someone else complains ;) )

Me too. In my final semester in undergrad, I did a project on people in time and space, exploring the dynamic between people and cruise ships in port. I started with how when two large ships are docked in port, from the ship, it almost looks as it is an extension of the ship on which you are on, even though it is 30-40' away.

Then if you read my Royal Princess review, you might remember the photos that I took of people on their balconies of Allure of the Seas. The perspective from my ship looking towards Allure gave me almost a section view. I could see people on adjacent balconies and what they were doing, but they could not see one another. The juxtaposition between people and activities occurring on balconies was really intriguing. My favorite example is how there were huge suites, and on one suite there was a big group of people drinking and having a little party on their balcony. And then on the balcony right above them was a man in his underwear looking over the railing.

It's an ongoing study for me that I get pretty excited about, so hopefully you all won't get too annoyed by me when I "nerd out" a little over other cruise ships in port (and my favorite cruise port for seeing other ships is definitely St. Maarten).

Love & Marriage

Note: If you have never seen Love & Marriage before, this post contains SPOILERS (you don't want to spoil your first time because that's probably the funniest it will ever be).

I was excited for the Love & Marriage Game Show. It was the first show that actually interested me. Getting pretty sick of the "Ooohy, oohy, let's get groovy baby!" and "Tarzan, Tarzan, where is my Tarzan?" audition lines. I've been watching this show for maybe ten years (yeah, as a kid I found that they play it on the stateroom televisions... beware, parents of corruptible children), and they always use the same audition pieces! Can they not get anymore creative?

The audience members have certainly gotten raunchier, though. I noticed that though we were voting by applause, two times when it was close, the Activities Director, Alison, chose to go ahead and eliminate the overly intoxicated and affectionate couples. So if you want to play the game, I would suggest keeping it PG-13 in the auditions because they tend to not want unpredictable, R-rated people on the stage.

The cruise director, Jamie Fentiman, is a bit long-winded for my taste. Everything he did, he would drag out to last forever. From the morning show, to Love & Marriage and Quest, Jamie really liked to hear himself talk. Sure, he had some funny lines, but sometimes less is more. Stop when you're ahead.

16003361218_fbf4835f63_b.jpg

Love & Marriage by vshingl, on Flickr

The show lasted nearly two hours! Ridiculous! We were so exhausted afterwards that we went straight to bed.

15571002683_015f50b67c_b.jpg

Towel Animal by vshingl, on Flickr

My wife and I did the L and M Game for our 10th anniversary on the Radiance. There were no newlyweds that wanted to participate, so we were the youngest with 10 years, then came a 25 anniv, and finally a 40yr anniv. couple. Alas, we finished last, but being Xmas time, Gordon (the CD) gave all couples all the prizes which included a $50 gift card to one of the specialty restaurants. One drawback about being on the show is that, since the show is rebroadcast, the next day; everyone recognized us and we became minor celebs for the rest of the cruise. Keep the reviews and pics coming!

So we basically ate Johnny Rockets, then went and got ready to eat dinner. That meant we weren't hungry at dinner.

Sounds like a dish served at a urologist convention.