Do you bring a stapler to the hotel for luggage tags?

BOS_CruiseGuy

I am getting ready for my upcoming cruise. We will be staying in a hotel for a few days beforehand.

How do people attach the luggage tags if you are not coming from home? Find a stapler to borrow? Something else?

Is there any risk in skipping the tags altogether and just getting some at the pier?

I am getting ready for my upcoming cruise. We will be staying in a hotel for a few days beforehand.

How do people attach the luggage tags if you are not coming from home? Find a stapler to borrow? Something else?

Is there any risk in skipping the tags altogether and just getting some at the pier?

We don't bother with self-printed luggage tags at all. Porters have tags in the port, we'll let them work couple of seconds more for their tip.

So, no risk what so ever arriving to port without tags.

Edited by Demonyte

.... The only disadvantage is that they sometimes use a crappy pen with awful handwriting skills for the cabin number and just put the cabin number only on the tag. But so far the luggage always arrived.

We have never had other info than cabin number written on the tags and they have always arrived just fine without any delays.

I laminate my luggage tags at home and punch a hole in it. In the hotel remove all the airplane tags and use a ty-rap to put the cruise tags on our suitcases.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I pack clear packing tape and use it to line both sides of the tag, then also to attach the tags.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ditto. We bring a small roll of clear shipping tape. It also comes in handy for a quick fix with a tear.

If we remember to, we ask for a stapler at the hotel when we check out. Otherwise, we just use safety pins. In all of our luggage and backpacks, at the bottom of some pocket, there are always rubber bands, twist-ties, paper clips, safety pins…

I've borrowed a stapler from the front desk at hotels before, it's usually no problem at all.

This is what I did on our Alaska Cruise. Stayed at Anchorage Downtown Hotel for 2 nights before the cruise. I also had laminated them at home, (actually wrapped them in heavy clear packing tape). Besides stapling, I borrowed their scotch tape and wrapped that around the edges, over where I stapled it. Worked fine, tags were still perfect when our 2 bags and the case of Coke (label only scotch taped to the case), made it to our cabin.

I pack clear packing tape and use it to line both sides of the tag, then also to attach the tags.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We started by stapling paper tags. Then graduated to overwrapping the paper tag with packing tape after looping through the luggage handle. Now we fold the paper tag down to the essential information and cover it with packing tape on both side and punch a hole. Then attach to luggage with a zip tie. The end result looks like a normal luggage tag. Seems to be pretty durable and not going to be torn off during the loading and unloading process.

Most hotels near a cruise port know the routine we once had a new person working the desk when checking out. One of the training employees told him to make sure he had at least two out every morning and at least one stayed at the counter and didn't go to guest rooms.

I laminate my luggage tags at home and punch a hole in it. In the hotel remove all the airplane tags and use a ty-rap to put the cruise tags on our suitcases.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I do much the same except use elastic bands instead of the ty-rap...

Amazon sells great reusable luggage tag holders. They are a plastic sleeve that you just slip the tag into and then fasten it on to your luggage with the plastic strap that is attached. We got them last year and they really worked great. We did our fist B2B and we just changed the luggage tags when we had to change cabins after the first cruise. They may be available at AAA or other travel accessory stores also.

I purchased four heavy plastic tag holders with loops and print out the tags at home, slip them in the holders and then put them in the outside zipper of my suitcase. I put them on for the ship. No worry and they have been used about five times. A good $10 investment.

So dumb that NCL makes you print out, fold and staple/tape/glue/duct tape your luggage tags. They don't even need to send out the whole brochure with the adhesive luggage tags like they used to. Just send a sheet of luggage tags. Heck, make it an option and charge me an extra five bucks.

Small customer service things like that count.

Another option:

The airline tags still have lots of sticky you can use. Assuming you have scissors in your cosmetic bag, you can cut off what you need and use that.

If you do the hotel stapler thing, do it when your bags are there - vs asking to take the stapler to the room.

We print and laminate (with packing tape) our luggage tags at home, then use a hole punch and punch holes in both ends. My husbands tosses some zip ties in his luggage, and when we're getting ready at the hotel the day of our cruise, we use the zipties to attach the tags. Easy!