Panama Canal Cruise

SarahCuda

Just for your information - Panama is in the process of building a new canal and reworking the pacific entrance. It is expected to open sometime in 2016 (only a year late - maybe) and we will wait for that.

Did a 1/2 transit about 10 years ago.

Just for your information - Panama is in the process of building a new canal and reworking the pacific entrance. It is expected to open sometime in 2016 (only a year late - maybe) and we will wait for that.

Did a 1/2 transit about 10 years ago.

Panama is not building an entire new canal, it is building new and larger locks.

We will likely do another PC cruise after the new locks are built.

On our Chinese river cruise, we went through the Three Gorges Dam locks, which are larger than the current locks at the PC.

On our Chinese river cruise, we went through the Three Gorges Dam locks, which are larger than the current locks at the PC.

Thanks for that interesting factoid. We too have sailed down the Yangtze and through the Three Gorges Dam locks, but I did not know that. Haven't been to the PC yet, but plan to.

...On our Chinese river cruise, we went through the Three Gorges Dam locks, which are larger than the current locks at the PC.
While Three Gorges locks definitely have greater elevation change and are slightly wider, Three Gorges locks are shorter and shallower.

Three Gorges: 280 m (918ft) long, 35 m (114ft) wide, and 5 (16.4 ft) m deep; Lift (in 5 stages) 110 m (361 ft)

Old PC: 320 m long (1050 ft [usable length 1000 ft]), 33.53 m (110 ft) wide, and 12.56 m (41.2 ft) deep; Lift (in 3 stages): 25.9 m (85 ft)

New PC: 427 m (1,401 ft) long, 55 m (180.4 ft) wide, and 18.3 m (60 ft) deep

Yes, I've been through both Three Gorges and the existing PC.

Thom

Panama is not building an entire new canal, it is building new and larger locks.

We will likely do another PC cruise after the new locks are built.

According to Wikipedia:

The Panama Canal expansion project (also called the Third Set of Locks Project) is intended to double the capacity of the Panama Canal by 2016 by creating a new lane of traffic and allowing more and larger ships to transit.

The project is planned to:

Build two new locks, one each on the Atlantic and Pacific sides. Each will have three chambers with water-saving basins.

Excavate new channels to the new locks.

Widen and deepen existing channels.

Allow ships around one and a half times the current width and length, with over twice as much cargo to pass.

Raise the maximum operating level of Gatun Lake.

This is a link to the official site: http://micanaldepanama.com/expansion/

My Equinox cruise didn't pass through the canal but we stopped in Colon and took the ship excursion where you board a smaller ferry and go through two locks. It was fabulous and I think it was better than being on a big ship where you wouldn't have been able to see both locks at the same time.

Thank you for your input! I want to go somewhere, where it's safe to get off the boat =)

Another poster mentioned Norway. I'm looking it up now, and it's beautiful over there!

We took the Celebrity Eclipse after 3 days in London. We had a fantastic 2-day stop in Iceland, Faroe Islands, and then Norway. Absolutely wonderful cruise. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Enjoy!

My Equinox cruise didn't pass through the canal but we stopped in Colon and took the ship excursion where you board a smaller ferry and go through two locks. It was fabulous and I think it was better than being on a big ship where you wouldn't have been able to see both locks at the same time.

It's a good thing the Equinox didn't attempt to enter the canal! It would have gotten stuck in the first lock due to it being too wide, too long and too deep! :D When the new larger locks open, the Equinox will be able to transit the entire canal.

We did the entire transit from Infinity and found the experience to be extremely interesting. You get vantage points from the larger ships that you wouldn't on a smaller boat or land tour. Best case scenario? Do all three methods!!! :)

Not sure what you mean by "... better than being on a big ship where you wouldn't have been able to see both locks at the same time." How can a larger ship not give you a view of "two locks at the same time" while a smaller boat can? :confused:

Edited by fortinweb

It's a good thing the Equinox didn't attempt to enter the canal! It would have gotten stuck in the first lock due to it being too wide, too long and too deep! :D When the new larger locks open, the Equinox will be able to transit the entire canal.

We did the entire transit from Infinity and found the experience to be extremely interesting. You get vantage points from the larger ships that you wouldn't on a smaller boat or land tour. Best case scenario? Do all three methods!!! :)

Not sure what you mean by "... better than being on a big ship where you wouldn't have been able to see both locks at the same time." How can a larger ship not give you a view of "two locks at the same time" while a smaller boat can? :confused:

It would have been quite a story if they had gone to the canal. Good thing it wasn't part of their itinerary. ;)

As to your last point, I was able to stand in the middle of the ferry we were on and clearly see both ends of the boat and the lock doors at both ends. I was trying to imagine being at the bow of the Equinox and trying to see the stern and guessing I wouldn't be able to see both at the same time. Maybe I am wrong - but hopefully some day I'll be able to find out. :)

I betting people who didn't enjoy the Panama Canal Cruise on the Infinity didn't read up on it first.

The wife and I spent the past summer evening's reading the canal history and going over all the tours offered.

There is just to much to do on each stop, we still haven't picked our tours yet.

CaptDave

It's a good thing the Equinox didn't attempt to enter the canal! It would have gotten stuck in the first lock due to it being too wide, too long and too deep! :D When the new larger locks open, the Equinox will be able to transit the entire canal...
Equinox is too long and too wide for the existing old locks, but its 27 foot draught would not be a problem. Equinox should easily fit into the new larger locks, but will still encounter a height issue with the Bridge of the Americas. To consistently fit under that bridge the masts would have to modified (as has already been done on Solstice) or they would not be able to fit under at high tide.

Thom

Equinox is too long and too wide for the existing old locks, but its 27 foot draught would not be a problem. Equinox should easily fit into the new larger locks, but will still encounter a height issue with the Bridge of the Americas. To consistently fit under that bridge the masts would have to modified (as has already been done on Solstice) or they would not be able to fit under at high tide.

Thom

Curious, what is the air draft on the Equinox? What I have looked at shows all of that class of ship under 200.' I guess it must not be a significant part of the superstructure.

Thom

Thanks! I missed that detail! ;)

Edited by fortinweb

We did the canal as part of a repositioning cruise on Infinity from Valparaiso, Chile to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. This was in mid March. The weather was fantastic - not too hot, and very little humidity. The ports on this itinerary were quite interesting - La Serena, Chile; Arica, Chile; Lima, Peru; Manta, Ecuador; Cartegena, Columbia; Montego Bay, Jamaica.

The canal transit alone was well worth the cruise, but each of these ports were worth visiting as well. I would not hesitate to recommend this itinerary to anyone.

Here are a few photos of the transit that you might find interesting:

Entering the two Miraflores Locks locks. These are the first locks from the Pacific side. The Pedro Miguel locks, the second set on the Pacific side, is about a mile away in the distance:

Entering%20canal.JPG

The gates to the second Miraflores Lock. Our ship will rise 28 feet to the next level. We will rise three times to arrive at the final elevation of 85 feet above sea level, and then drop three times on the other side to the Atlantic's sea level:

CIMG0884.JPG

Close enough to touch:

Touching.JPG

Through the narrow, one lane Gaillard Cut, at the deepest excavation point. That is solid granite that needed to be cut through:

Panama%20channel%20wall.JPG

There are two lanes of traffic on Gatun Lake. Ships closely pass each other in opposite directions:

Ship%20passing.JPG

Dropping down to the Atlantic sea level at the middle of the three Gatun locks. Lot's of activity on this busy day - there are three Panamax size ships and a tugboat in this view. There was one more ahead of us and still another one behind:

Canal.JPG

My wife and I, along with four other couples, were on this same cruise and we agree with you 100 per cent!

SarahCuda,

I'm sure you were expecting the wide range of replies..., some hate it, some love it. Such is the nature of a subjective message board such as this. ;)

For us, the Celebrity Canal cruises are our most favored itinerary. We've done the Canal 4 times with Celebrity.

Like you, we live in Washington state, so are not accustomed to humidity. Yes, the Canal Zone (and much of the tropics) has what for us is "oppressive" humidity. But we've never found it to be something that spoiled our enjoyment of the wonderful cruise adventure.

Of all the ports on Celebrity's Canal itineraries, Cartagena seems to have the worst humidity. But the enjoyment of this colorful, historic city has for us far outweighed the high humidity.

Not knowing what itinerary you're doing, it's difficult to comment on all your ports. As another poster has offered, we find this to be a wonderfully relaxing itinerary based on the time element of sea days vs. port days. It offers ample time to enjoy ports AND the ship's amenities.

We have also fully enjoyed all the ports on our Canal cruises. Only once did we ever feel unsafe and that was when I had to dash after my dear partner as he followed a local guide toward a side street in Acapulco. He learned his lesson quickly from the tongue-lashing I gave him for putting us in danger.

I also have not had a problem with ship offered excursions on this itinerary. Read the descriptions (both for excursion content and level of exertion) and if you do your homework properly you should be able to find excursions to suit your tastes and abilities.

Above all, go with a sense of excitement and adventure and a positive outlook for having a great time.

Have a great cruise!!!

CM

I betting people who didn't enjoy the Panama Canal Cruise on the Infinity didn't read up on it first.

The wife and I spent the past summer evening's reading the canal history and going over all the tours offered.

There is just to much to do on each stop, we still haven't picked our tours yet.

CaptDave

Interesting assumption. How would that have helped the oppressive heat?

Curious, what is the air draft on the Equinox? What I have looked at shows all of that class of ship under 200.' I guess it must not be a significant part of the superstructure.
I can not give you a firm number for the Equinox air draft, but I think it is right at 200 feet. Bridge of the Americas is listed at 201 feet clearance and Lion's Gate in Vancouver at 200 feet. Solstice, which should be identical to Equinox, had its mast modified to clear Lions Gate on its Alaska runs; so by extension Solstice class would have to be modified to consistently clear in Panama. There is a pretty large tidal variation at Bridge of the Americas, but with cruise ship schedules and heavy ship traffic in the area, being able to choose your tide level is not likely. I THINK that cruise ships with passengers would like to have /are supposed to have (I'm doing lots of hand waving here:cool:) a couple of meters air draft clearance. Oasis and Allure had 30cm clearance at zero speed coming under the Great Belt Bridge, increased to 60cm by "squatting in the water" at 20 knots, but that was with no passengers.

Thom

I suppose if they can trim the air draft of the Equinox to satisfy Vancouver then getting enough clearance for BoA won't be a huge roadblock. They sure can't look for much help from vessel squat in the area of the Bridge since I doubt they would do over 6 knots there. For no tide restrictions at the Bridge the air draft can't exceed 190'... above that it's case by case up to 205.' At least the 201' clearance is only during spring tides and the other higher high tides only occur a few days a month.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a 15 day canal cruise on the Island Princess and loved every minute of it. The canal was fantastic. We enjoyed the ports, and the days at sea were a fantastic luxury. There was an onboard speaker who was very knowledgable about the area and its history, and I tried to never miss his lectures.

We went in March, and the weather was pleasant. I'm really thinking that I'd love to do it again, after the new locks are completed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk