Panama Canal Cruise

SarahCuda

I did the canal on the Infinity. It was fabulous going through the canal. However, the other ports where awful. The excursions that I bought from the ship were terrible. The heat and humidity were excessive. I love cruising. I enjoy Celebrity. I am elite. I have cruised on many cruise lines. The 15 night cruise through the canal was my least favorite cruise. My favorite cruise was on Celebrity Century to the Norwegian Fjords. If you liked Alaska, Norway is even better.

We did it once. The ports were not worth getting off. We got off at one port on the east side of the canal, but was really run down with every kiosk selling the same types of trinkets. May have been Guatemala. The people were really poor. The canal ride was not very scenic, except when we were in the lake area. The locks were fascinating and everyone onboard really enjoyed the experience, as we were all out on deck watching. The Mexican ports were the same, with threats of soldiers guarding the streets. We don't shop at ports, And we can enjoy just being on a ship for 14 days and wanted to go to see San Diego anyway.

This is all , Just my opinion! Someone else will probably have an opposite view.

from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have done three full transits of the Panama Canal with another full transit scheduled for March. We've highly enjoyed each cruise, didn't find the humidity unbearable (and we live in Alaska), and also enjoyed most of the ports very much. For those considering a PC cruise just check the Panama Canal thread on Cruise Critic for helpful information regarding port options.

We did the Panama Canal on a repositioning cruise on Infinity from Ft. Lauderdale to Valparaiso, Chile. We had stops in Columbia, Ecuador, Peru and Chile. Great cruise and not expensive. Only a one way ticket back from Chile.

Here is my review

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=94024

We did the canal as part of a repositioning cruise on Infinity from Valparaiso, Chile to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. This was in mid March. The weather was fantastic - not too hot, and very little humidity. The ports on this itinerary were quite interesting - La Serena, Chile; Arica, Chile; Lima, Peru; Manta, Ecuador; Cartegena, Columbia; Montego Bay, Jamaica.

The canal transit alone was well worth the cruise, but each of these ports were worth visiting as well. I would not hesitate to recommend this itinerary to anyone.

Here are a few photos of the transit that you might find interesting:

Entering the two Miraflores Locks locks. These are the first locks from the Pacific side. The Pedro Miguel locks, the second set on the Pacific side, is about a mile away in the distance:

Entering%20canal.JPG

The gates to the second Miraflores Lock. Our ship will rise 28 feet to the next level. We will rise three times to arrive at the final elevation of 85 feet above sea level, and then drop three times on the other side to the Atlantic's sea level:

CIMG0884.JPG

Close enough to touch:

Touching.JPG

Through the narrow, one lane Gaillard Cut, at the deepest excavation point. That is solid granite that needed to be cut through:

Panama%20channel%20wall.JPG

There are two lanes of traffic on Gatun Lake. Ships closely pass each other in opposite directions:

Ship%20passing.JPG

Dropping down to the Atlantic sea level at the middle of the three Gatun locks. Lot's of activity on this busy day - there are three Panamax size ships and a tugboat in this view. There was one more ahead of us and still another one behind:

Canal.JPG

Edited by fortinweb

We did a Panama cruise a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed the cruise through the canal and our excursion (a ferry ride through the canal) but I wasn't impressed by the other ports. The humidity in Columbia was unbelievable. We also had some of the roughest seas we've ever been on during the transition from canal to Pacific Ocean. I'm glad I went, but I don't know that I'd do it again.

We went last January and were pleasantly surprised by the weather -- not nearly as hot and humid as we have been warned about. We had originally booked for March but felt that the heat would be unbearable then.

If you want to experience a Panamax ship going through the locks on Celebrity, you have to take a full transit. Their "partials" only go to Colon, the port outside the canal, and passengers have to take shore excursions to see or go through the canal. We did a partial on Coral Princess and got to experience the 3 Atlantic side locks on her (just like the pictures above) and then the Pacific locks on a ferry (much smaller ship, so the size of the locks is even more impressive). The other ports on that cruise were much more enjoyable than what folks have been talking about above (Ocho Rios, Limon, Cartagena, Aruba).

Come to Panama in February, March, September and October for the least chance of rain, although any month from mid-December to the beginning of May is fairly dry. The Panama Canal Zone has a tropical climate ranging from 75 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit, with high humidity year-round. The Caribbean side of the canal receives twice the amount of rain as Panama City and is infamous for having short, sudden afternoon thunderstorms from April through July.

The canal is about 650 miles north of the equator.

Edited by fortinweb

We did the canal April, 2014. The canal was amazing. Did a ship tour out of colon to the new canal that was very good. Very hot at Cartagena but the other stops were not that bad. Costa Rica was nothing special. In Guatemala did a ship tour to some ruins, very interesting. I would do the canal again, really enjoyed it. Of course it is hot it is Central America.

Edited by ozark74

We did a Panama canal cruise on the Constellation. [she was repositioning] We booked a last minute cabin since I was in San Diego for a conference. The only cabins left were insides--but, at a great price. It still ranks as one of my favorite cruises.

We liked the rhythm of the cruise. 2 days at sea and then a port day, another day at sea and then a port etc. We never got bored and it was still relaxing. I really liked our stop in Cabo. We only stopped in Colon for a few hours. The stop in Cartagena, Columbia was interesting. . . and I bought an emerald.

The Panama Transit is an experience. A naturalist comes on the ship and narrates the whole trip.

We want to do it again, but, we plan to wait until the new canal is finished so we can compare the two.

...Dropping down to the Atlantic sea level at the middle of the three Gatun locks. Lot's of activity on this busy day - there are three Panamax size ships and a tugboat in this view. There was one more ahead of us and still another one behind:

Canal.JPG

I see the three ships and several mules, but where is the tugboat??

I have been through the Canal in both directions - once on Infinity and once on Mercury. I guess it might have been hot, but I was so busy watching, I never even thought about it.

Thom

We took a Panama Canal cruise April 2014, San Diego to Fort Lauderdale.

Going through the canal was interesting, Colon is not. We didn't get off the ship at the two Mexican ports but we enjoyed our port stops in Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Columbia. We did private tours at all three.

We will be going through the canal again in March, other then Colon the only port we will repeat on this cruise is Cartagena, Columbia.

My 15 day Panama canal Crusie was one of the best. Going throughthe canal was a wonder of the world,a nd everyone should do it once in their life.

I love the countries in Central America and Columbia. Like Eurpoe, you have to get out of the port area and do some great tours to ge to experience the beautiful countryside,and meet the the friendly people. Knowing a little Spanish will help.

I would do this cruise again in a heart beat.

Edited by Azulann

I see the three ships and several mules, but where is the tugboat??

I have been through the Canal in both directions - once on Infinity and once on Mercury. I guess it might have been hot, but I was so busy watching, I never even thought about it.

Thom

I have circled the tugboat in yellow. It's hard to see since the view is interrupted by a pole, but it is there. I noticed it earlier when it was easier to see. For some reason, the ship behind it was being pulled through the locks instead of under it's own power as our ship and the blue ship next to us was.

Tugboat.jpg

Edited by fortinweb

Of course it's muggy there - you are surrounded by a rain forest. Also it is carved out of a thick jungle. But it is an amazing adventure that I highly recommend. We went at the end of October and it was hot and very muggy, but on the transit all you have to do is leave your balcony or viewing area and go indoors where the ship's air conditioning will cool you off.

Go for it - you only live once!

I did a complete canal cruise from Los Angeles to Ft. Lauderdale (14 nights) on the Coral Princess. I did this cruise almost 2 years ago and absolutely loved it. I loved being on a ship that long. There was always plenty to do, or not, if one wanted to lounge by the pool. On the 14 day there were 7 excursions: Cabo San Lucas - great for water sports and sport fishing; a port in Guatemala or Honduras, I don't remember which, we stayed on the ship; Costa Rica - we went to scarlet macaw sanctuary. Seeing the birds in their habitat and flying free was exhilarating . Then we went through the entire canal. Knowing the history of it's construction made it fascinating. A book to read before you go is The Path Between the Seas, by David McCullough. After that we stopped in Cartajena, Columbia. It reminded me of old San Juan. Again, knowing history made it fascinating. It is an incredible harbor. The tourist areas are quite safe with a large police presence for guarding said tourists. Then Aruba, again for water sport enthusiasts.

Some of the stops WERE hot. Particularly Costa Rica, Cartajena and Aruba. But not unbearable.

I liked that the cruise had 7 sea days and 7 excursion days. At the end of a 7 day cruise i always feel like I haven't had enough time on the ship. I have been on Celebrity cruises, but chose Princess to see why Princess loyalists always rave about the Coral and the Island. I liked the size of the Coral -not crowded, lots of nooks and crannies on the ship. They have a super show in one theater - "On the Bayou." I think it's the most inventive one I've seen at sea.

The Canal is an amazing experience no matter what cruise line you use.

I have gone thru it 3 times... I loved it.. i agree some ports are better than others but i am glad i have gone sightseeing in each port.. yes, hot but so is Fl, Mexico and S America. Plus many other places I have been... but it beats tonight's temp's in NC.