NCL - After payment Good luck getting better promotion or price

ssa17

I am very disappointed with NCL's policies on upgrading. During extensive planning, I spoke with an NCL agent, who told me that I could make any changes until the final payment date. When I expressed concern about adjustments after NCL had control of my money, she reassured me that they would still work with us. This turned out to be utterly false.

We booked a cruise on NCL Epic on December 10 for disembarkation on March 15 for an inside cabin. We had a strange school schedule conflict pop-up, so we were forced to take the week before at the same prices, and wanted to take advantage of a triple - promotion, dining package, beverage package and $300 onboard. I had paid my full amount just 2 days earlier (December 30) (at the 75-day mark). They wanted to charge me $500 to rebook it the week before, not give me any promotions for upgrade, and they were reluctant to even do this. I got them to waive their $500, and change the cruise date, but they never wanted to allow me to upgrade at the new promotions. There would be a $900 upcharge on a $2400 original cruise price for a new total price around $3300. I called and spoke to several people. They eventually recommended I speak to the executive group. I spoke to several people there, who were all rude. When I asked to go to the next level, they all claimed that they are the highest level to the CEO. I asked for the CEO, and was rejected. Two of the women said that if they allow me to upgrade and take advantage of promotions, they’ll have to do it for everyone. So their policy is to help no one. I explained that we cruise for 1-week every year. This is not a way to encourage us to continue on NCL.

This would be a win-win for everyone. When I sent an email to the president, CEO and other executives, I received a call within hours from Katherine at the Executive group, who informed me that the Executives I sent this email to asked her to call and say that they are not going to do anything. She was just told that she had to call me. Not with any solutions, though. She was a little bit nicer, but WHAT AWFUL POLICIES. Generally the lower end rooms sell first, why wouldn’t they want to maximize their profit and be sure that they sell out the mini-suite?

I think from now on I’ll stick with Carnival! Their customer service is MUCH better. I would suggest waiting until closer to your desired cruise date, and using a reliable travel agent who will advocate for you. Every story I read about NCL being so helpful re: upgrades appears to have been more fantasy than reality.

You changed your cruise after the final payment date, so your first comment "During extensive planning, I spoke with an NCL agent, who told me that I could make any changes until the final payment date" holds absolutely zero water. You have absolutely no valid complaint.

NCL enforced the provisions that are part of the contract you agreed to upon booking the cruise. In fact they did give you a break by waving the penalty they could have imposed under the terms of the contract for changing the date of your cruise.

The promotion clearly states it 's for new bookings only. To take advantage of it you would have to cancel your book (and pay any penalty associated with the cancellation) and then make an entirely new booking. You wanted them to make an exception for you that they won't make for anyone.

This isn't a customer service issue, it's a contractual issue. Sorry.

Edited by njhorseman

It is so sad that so many adults today can not:

* read the terms

* understand the meaning of an agreement

* comprehend a promo and what is included or not

* what is a final payment date

And the worse part ?

If they do not like it, they decide "it is not fair".

Go elsewhere. Come back when other companies do the same thing.

Once you do Early Saver on Carnival, and get price drops and obc's, its hard to go back. From my experience, it's just a good rule with NCL to wait until late to book because they wait til after full payment date to drop prices no matter how empty the ship is. My whole deck was empty but the price didn't drop until after full payment. Lesson learned. On the other hand, the price drop was very short then it went up to more than I paid. Just know what you want to pay, pay it and forget it. You were lucky they waved the penalty.

I am very disappointed with NCL's policies on upgrading. During extensive planning, I spoke with an NCL agent, who told me that I could make any changes until the final payment date. When I expressed concern about adjustments after NCL had control of my money, she reassured me that they would still work with us. This turned out to be utterly false.

We booked a cruise on NCL Epic on December 10 for disembarkation on March 15 for an inside cabin. We had a strange school schedule conflict pop-up, so we were forced to take the week before at the same prices, and wanted to take advantage of a triple - promotion, dining package, beverage package and $300 onboard. I had paid my full amount just 2 days earlier (December 30) (at the 75-day mark). They wanted to charge me $500 to rebook it the week before, not give me any promotions for upgrade, and they were reluctant to even do this. I got them to waive their $500, and change the cruise date, but they never wanted to allow me to upgrade at the new promotions. There would be a $900 upcharge on a $2400 original cruise price for a new total price around $3300. I called and spoke to several people. They eventually recommended I speak to the executive group. I spoke to several people there, who were all rude. When I asked to go to the next level, they all claimed that they are the highest level to the CEO. I asked for the CEO, and was rejected. Two of the women said that if they allow me to upgrade and take advantage of promotions, they’ll have to do it for everyone. So their policy is to help no one. I explained that we cruise for 1-week every year. This is not a way to encourage us to continue on NCL.

This would be a win-win for everyone. When I sent an email to the president, CEO and other executives, I received a call within hours from Katherine at the Executive group, who informed me that the Executives I sent this email to asked her to call and say that they are not going to do anything. She was just told that she had to call me. Not with any solutions, though. She was a little bit nicer, but WHAT AWFUL POLICIES. Generally the lower end rooms sell first, why wouldn’t they want to maximize their profit and be sure that they sell out the mini-suite?

I think from now on I’ll stick with Carnival! Their customer service is MUCH better. I would suggest waiting until closer to your desired cruise date, and using a reliable travel agent who will advocate for you. Every story I read about NCL being so helpful re: upgrades appears to have been more fantasy than reality.

Get real.

You should be embarrassed to post such a thread. :eek:

I typically book cruises at least a year in advance through my NCL PCC. He and I talk at least on a monthly basis, and he has his office phone forwarded to his home. For the past decade, I have gotten the best deal available, price drops OBC, etc., from the PCC, a great reason to continue cruising NCL. :)

I find it incredibly greedy for someone to think that by demanding satisfaction they don't deserve here on these boards, they will be successful in an attempt to discredit NCL as being cheap, or dishonest to other readers! Sounds to me like a spoiled child who only knows the words "I want, I want".:eek:

Edited by cmdchiefthom

What part of "for new bookings only" do people not understand?

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

The part where the OP interpereted it to benefit her, not the rules. If the OP had kept the original booking and then added the one with the upgrades, she would have been able to do so because it would be a new booking.

It is so sad that so many adults today can not:

* read the terms

* understand the meaning of an agreement

* comprehend a promo and what is included or not

* what is a final payment date

And the worse part ?

If they do not like it, they decide "it is not fair".

Go elsewhere. Come back when other companies do the same thing.

It's called sense of entitlement...

--------

------

So did you think that by emailing the "higher ups" that they would cave and give you what you wanted, even though, as they had told you previously on the phone, that if they did it for YOU, they would have to do it for EVERYONE? And look what happened, when they didn't give you what you wanted, you came here and cried foul.... if they would have given in, and gave you what you wanted, you probably would have come here and bragged, and that would have lead to many more "frustrated" cruisers to email/call/harrass them as well.

as someone else stated- be glad they waived the cancellation fee, when I tried to change my booking for my cruise that begins on Sunday, I was told there was no way to waive the fee, and if I wanted to cancel/rebook, I could, but would need to pay.

However I will say why don't people get this promo and the difference between mini suites and real suites. Maybe ncl should change the name because I have seen so many people just not get that mini suites are NOT real suites.

As someone who has been booked on their first NCL cruise for all of 8 hours and who has only been a member of these boards for an hour, I will fess up to being confused by this promo as well.

I booked on the Escape, and the categories were Haven - Mini Suites - Balcony - etc... and the promo says that you get all 3 for booking Haven or a Suite. I assumed that since there was no booking category called "Suite" that the reference to Suite must mean a Mini Suite.

That being said, before I booked, I did do the online chat with NCL and they advised that a Mini Suite did not qualify for all 3 - which makes sense, since the cost is only incrementally more than a balcony cabin which only receives the choice of 1.

All of that to say that the wording of the promo itself 'could' be clearer for people who are new to NCL.

As someone who has been booked on their first NCL cruise for all of 8 hours and who has only been a member of these boards for an hour, I will fess up to being confused by this promo as well.

I booked on the Escape, and the categories were Haven - Mini Suites - Balcony - etc... and the promo says that you get all 3 for booking Haven or a Suite. I assumed that since there was no booking category called "Suite" that the reference to Suite must mean a Mini Suite.

That being said, before I booked, I did do the online chat with NCL and they advised that a Mini Suite did not qualify for all 3 - which makes sense, since the cost is only incrementally more than a balcony cabin which only receives the choice of 1.

All of that to say that the wording of the promo itself 'could' be clearer for people who are new to NCL.

All but 3 of the current Norwegian ships have full suites that are not Haven Suites. (Escape will be the 4th with only Haven Suites.) Non-Haven suites start with an "S" such as a SF or SJ, S1 etc. Haven suites start with an H, i.e. H-1, H-2, H-3 etc. It depends on the "Class" of the ship whether it has just "S" suites (Dawn Class plus the Sun, Sky & Spirit), just "H" suites (Breakaway and Breakaway Plus Class) or both "H" and "S" suites (Jewel Class). You can have most of your questions answered here...just ask and we'll try to help.

Mini-suites start with an "M" and are really just deluxe Balconies. I hope this helps.

[substitute quote, as normal functionality not available]

When I sent an email to the president, CEO and other executives, I received a call within hours from Katherine at the Executive group, who informed me that the Executives I sent this email to asked her to call and say that they are not going to do anything. She was just told that she had to call me. Not with any solutions, though. She was a little bit nicer, but WHAT AWFUL POLICIES.

[End of substitute quote]

Well, I guess now we now the real reason Kevin Sheehan resigned. :cool:

Well, I guess now we now the real reason Kevin Sheehan resigned. :cool:

Kevin Sheehan hasn't been the CEO of the cruise line for months, only the holding company. He was succeeded as NCL's CEO by Drew Madsen already in October.

Edited by Demonyte