How many formal nights

hmorrow

I believe they are generally reducing them to once a week now. On our 42-day cruise (6 weeks:)), we had 6. I have been wondering, about our Spring cruise from FLL to Vancouver - 3 weeks, so I thought three, but I think I heard somewhere, too, that the final bit, from San Diego to Vancouver, has a lot of "short cruisers" and instead of a formal night, they have "formal optional" - whatever that means!

During our 34 night Australian Circumnavigation Cruise(October/November 2014) there were 5 Formal nights and 29 Smart Casual.

When we received our boarding passes and saw this number, I contacted HAL, thinking they had made an error, but there had been a change in policy, to fewer Formal Nights.

I believe they are generally reducing them to once a week now. On our 42-day cruise (6 weeks:)), we had 6. I have been wondering, about our Spring cruise from FLL to Vancouver - 3 weeks, so I thought three, but I think I heard somewhere, too, that the final bit, from San Diego to Vancouver, has a lot of "short cruisers" and instead of a formal night, they have "formal optional" - whatever that means!

On our 31 day cruise a year ago in the fall we had 8 formal nights. Maybe they are cutting down on formal nights. You will find that information on your boarding papers. You are right VictObriann, on the repostioning cruise's they had an optional formal night, that was this last spring. It means you can dress formally or not. For passengers coming around from FL on a Panama cruise, they may want to be more formal. Passengers that get on in SD for a 3 or 4 day cruise, many do want to be more casual. So some passengers dressed up other did not, it was kind of strange.

I recall seeing here on CC that HAL is reducing the number of formal nights. On our up coming cruise to the south pacific on the Statendam which is 30 days the documents state we will have 5 formal nights. We are also on the prior leg which is 15 days and the documents state we will have 3 formal nights.

This is fine with me:)

From HAL's site:

Voyage durationNumber of Formal eveningsLess than 7 days

7 - 13 days

14 - 20 days

21 - 28 days

1 Formal evening

2 Formal evenings

3 Formal evenings

4 Formal evenings

The number of Formal evenings on voyages longer than 28 days will vary based on the activities and cruise schedule.

Thanks, ya'll

Hong Kong to Vancouver

Hong Kong leg port intensive and then to Vancouver a transPacific with lots of sea days, so maybe 4+

I guess I'll have to wait for docs to know for sure......

Thanks again

Helaine

This new policy is very inconsistently operated. We just did a 15 day cruise, there were 4 formal nights. You will get a good idea about 50 days prior to sailing when your e docs are available. How much further in advance do you need to know?

The final number of formal nights is always at the final discretion of the Hotel Manager and the Captain, and could change up to the time you get on board.

This new policy is very inconsistently operated. We just did a 15 day cruise, there were 4 formal nights. You will get a good idea about 50 days prior to sailing when your e docs are available. How much further in advance do you need to know?

The final number of formal nights is always at the final discretion of the Hotel Manager and the Captain, and could change up to the time you get on board.

I don't NEED to know sooner- just curious, hence the question

Helaine