Dining Survey

DWhit

We received a survey from Cunard about dining, and they floated several ideas for changes to the QM2 in the survey. I thought I would pass along some of the ideas to those interested on this board, ask it might be of interest.

These were the ideas that Cunard asked if we would consider if they were introduced on the QM2.

Winter Garden Continental Breakfast Buffet

Todd English Breakfast Buffet

Breakfast in Bed (your own stateroom bed ;))

Golden Lion Breakfast

Britannia Buffet Breakfast

Britannia Expres Breakfast

Chart Room Light Bites

Terrace Pool Bar - Burgers, etc.

Extended Golden Lion Lunch hours

Tea and Coffee in-stateroom facilities

Commodore Club light bites

Winter Garden light bites

Kings Court Buffet with Table Served Drinks

Chefs table (max of 10 at a time - food at its finest)

Winter Garden Supper Club (dinner with live music and entertainment)

Kings Court Evening Buffet

Kings Court Showcase Kitchen

We answered on the survey that we would be most interested in the in-room coffee/tea, the Chefs Table and the Winter Garden Supper club. We told them we did not want to have food buffets detract from the pre-dinner cocktail atmosphere of the Chart Room or Commodore Club. We also suggested if there was a way to have an experience that could realistically be like a single night in the Queen's Grill, then as a Britannia guest, we would be happy to do that (would be similar to the Chef's table idea, I guess)

Edited by DWhit

Since they're fairly unlikely to ask me …..

Red - I think it will impact the space/venue in a good or bad way

Purple - Probably wouldn't use it but don't object

YES - Winter Garden Continental Breakfast Buffet

Nah - Todd English Breakfast Buffet

Nah - Breakfast in Bed (your own stateroom bed ;))

Nah - Golden Lion Breakfast

Nah - Britannia Buffet Breakfast

Maybe - Britannia Expres Breakfast

Nah - Chart Room Light Bites

Maybe - Terrace Pool Bar - Burgers, etc.

Yes! - Extended Golden Lion Lunch hours

ONLY if it is an espresso type thing, can't see it happening - Tea and Coffee in-stateroom facilities

NO! CC is perfect as is - Commodore Club light bites

YES - Winter Garden light bites

OH YES - Kings Court Buffet with Table Served Drinks

Maybe - Chefs table (max of 10 at a time - food at its finest)

LORDY YES - Winter Garden Supper Club (dinner with live music and entertainment)

Isn't it this already? - Kings Court Evening Buffet

Nah - Kings Court Showcase Kitchen

Disclaimer - I have not actually eaten in Kings Court - in fact went out of my way to avoid the whole area after checking it out on embarkation day (acknowledge that this is not any ship caffeteria's finest hour)

They already have the facility for the KC showcase kitchen but the last time I saw it in use was 2010 or 2011.

Table served drinks in KC are a must if they're serious about getting rid of the trays.

Breakfast in bed as opposed to room service breakfast sounds like an extra-cost option.

I agree that greater utilization of the Winter Garden makes sense. Not sure they have an efficient way to get food there since the B stairs are between WG and deck 7 galley.

Extended Golden Lion lunch would probably be well received. It's not easy to get a table for lunch if you attend the 11:00 lecture vs. the trivia.

They could have used more tables (and umbrellas) outside of the Boardwalk Cafe in the Caribbean but of course they don't go there often. Food at the terrace pool would be popular, I'd think.

Really like the supper club in the Winter Garden idea - dinner and dancing for a slight upcharge of $20 pp.

Indicated in the comments section that fixed dining and formality was what brings us back to Cunard.

Not interested in a ship that tempts table mates away with extra charge dining choices, so that the primary focus is no longer the nightly MDR experience.

Indicated in the comments section that fixed dining and formality was what brings us back to Cunard.

Not interested in a ship that tempts table mates away with extra charge dining choices, so that the primary focus is no longer the nightly MDR experience.

If only there were more of us! That questionnaire smacks of more dilution of the Cunard traditions; not to mention the creation of additional income generation opportunities. No doubt any charges will be "nominal" - as $49 for a speciality meal was described on a recent QE voyage.

If only there were more of us! That questionnaire smacks of more dilution of the Cunard traditions; not to mention the creation of additional income generation opportunities. No doubt any charges will be "nominal" - as $49 for a speciality meal was described on a recent QE voyage.
There were some questions on the survey relating to fixed dining and formality. Although we were first time Cunard passengers, I hope we represented well, stating that dining in a refined, elegant manner was of utmost importance to us.

Fifer, I thought about your comment, and I agree. There is something about the Cunard tradition that complete strangers from various walks of life sit down together for a nice dinner on the first night as strangers with nothing apparent in common - but by the end of the voyage, they are good acquaintances.

There is a certain un-written obligation that when booking a table with other dining companions, we will dine together (properly dressed) every night with exclusions accepted for ill health or a special occasion. Is that stogy and outdated? Perhaps, but I like it! [to reference the Rolling Stones

] :D

Salacia

Je Suis

Charlie

Thanks for posting the survey. The Breakfast in Bed option looks more and more like what's on the card you put on the door before retiring.

The Commodore Club light bites option would be nice with continental breakfast offerings in place of sandwiches.

Same here. Since I'm in PG the only time I would not go for a sit down served breakfast or lunch is shore excursion scheduling.

The questions I got were weighted for full table service versus self service. And nowhere in the survey was afternoon tea mentioned! Staffing this as well as lunch and dinner may now present a problem under the "MLC2006" maritime labor convention. Effective 2013, vessels over a certain size have to meet staffing levels, time off, and housing standards. Pushing passengers to self service solves that.

Take notice all those who celebrated the rock bottom November TA fares and though it "rubbish" that services would suffer at those prices.

Hard to believe Cunard feels a survey is necessary to decide on relocating Boardwalk Cafe to the Terrace Pool where it would not be perpetually shut due to bad weather.

And having a combined self service/waiter service breakfast in the dining room is truly the worst of both worlds. Having experienced this on an older RCI ship last summer it is clearly a set-up for fast turnover with the waiters outright refusing any item cooked to order; there were fewer choices than Cunard's current turnaround-day Express Breakfast menu. Yet it is a popular arrangement on the Continent-based cruise lines...hmm.

The additional Deck 7 dinnertime options are unquestionably a ploy to collect revenue for the privilege of eschewing formal nights. I imagine there will be eventually be an option to make a standing reservation for these at booking for those who wish to only pack casual attire.

Ah yes, the "nominal" charge. 18 months ago I went on the champagne tasting. It was around $100 and that too was described as "nominal".

Hard to believe Cunard feels a survey is necessary to decide on relocating Boardwalk Cafe to the Terrace Pool where it would not be perpetually shut due to bad weather.

And having a combined self service/waiter service breakfast in the dining room is truly the worst of both worlds. Having experienced this on an older RCI ship last summer it is clearly a set-up for fast turnover with the waiters outright refusing any item cooked to order; there were fewer choices than Cunard's current turnaround-day Express Breakfast menu. Yet it is a popular arrangement on the Continent-based cruise lines...hmm.

The additional Deck 7 dinnertime options are unquestionably a ploy to collect revenue for the privilege of eschewing formal nights. I imagine there will be eventually be an option to make a standing reservation for these at booking for those who wish to only pack casual attire.

I agree with your points except for the Boardwalk Cafe. Payne had mentioned that Cunard was looking at the possibility of expanding the kennels and this would be the logical place. Given the demand for kennel space, and that pet owners have to pay brochure price, the cost/benefit factors are under consideration as the planning for the 2016 refit progresses.

I think it's good that they are looking at options because many new customers these days want them and not having options puts Cunard at a competitive disadavantage to other premium lines and increasingly to other brands within the WLCL portfolio. Unfortunately, the survey leads me to believe that Cunard is skirting this central competitive issue, that of a lack of alternative restaurants with dedicated venues. I do realize that adding these is much easier said than done. If these changes are being proposed only for revenue enhancement I think Cunard's future is further dimmed.

I object to the terminology 'light bites', it just has a cheap ring to it; even 'small plates' isn't great but it is better. For that matter 'buffet' doesn't conjure up any great impressions either but I can't think of any alternatives.

After all that cynicism I'll try to be constructive given this set of ideas.

Winter Garden Continental Breakfast Buffet: Don't know about this. If it relieves KC congestion then yes. But why not start by letting people carry their food plates there and provide table beverage service? I know, it's a long walk but it could be supported as opposed to discouraged.

Todd English Breakfast Buffet: Definite no

Breakfast in Bed (your own stateroom bed ): Sounds like room service to me

Golden Lion Breakfast: For fully cooked English Breakfast or an alternative breakfast menu? Maybe.

Britannia Buffet Breakfast:At first glance a breakfast buffet in the MDR seems terrible but on second thought if the area was segregated (perhaps by level) it would give people an option to the KC/Lido where it is a bit of a free for all.

Britannia Express Breakfast: It should be express now if needed!

Chart Room Light Bites: In other words: Hors d'oeuvres? or are they thinking small plates (tapas like)?

Terrace Pool Bar - Burgers, etc.: yes, good idea.

Extended Golden Lion Lunch hours: Good idea.

Tea and Coffee in-stateroom facilities: Illy espresso pods please

Commodore Club light bites: Definite no. Food smells not wanted.

Winter Garden light bites: maybe small plate menu?

Kings Court Buffet with Table Served Drinks: This is being experimented with now, right? Makes sense to me. Trays shout 'cafeteria'.

Chefs table (max of 10 at a time - food at its finest): Sounds good but maybe more than 10, like 16? or two seatings?

Winter Garden Supper Club (dinner with live music and entertainment): Sure, it's an underused venue at least on QM2.

Kings Court Evening Buffet: Don't we have this now?

Kings Court Showcase Kitchen: interactive, hands-on kitchens with individual stations (in other words cooking classes) are where it's at these days.

Thanks for posting that.

I may have helped if they'd also sad what they were

a. going to get rid of, if anything

b. going to charge as I suspect most option will have a price attached.

They did post prices but oddly in a separate section of the survey. The "Light bites" were not going to have a surcharge - nor was the winter garden breakfast (which I like) - unless you order a specialty coffee drink or tea drink, such as a flavored latte or chai.

The Winter Garden supper club was $20.

The Chef's Table (for up to 10 people) was a whopping $250!! No way when Todd English can be had for much less and Ralph is an awesome caretaker there.

The King's Court night time specialty sit down was still $10.

I think the King's Court Chef's Galley with the Open Kitchen was about $20...That's the only one which is a little fuzzy.

All reasonable except the Chef's Table.

As for the dining options - as we always dine at a table for 2, we will probably take advantage of the Winter Garden, we go to Todd English as it is, and that would be it for at night. We would probably enjoy a Winter Garden & a Pub Full English breakfast (no charge for either of those except specialty drinks mentioned above.)

They did post prices but oddly in a separate section of the survey. The "Light bites" were not going to have a surcharge - nor was the winter garden breakfast (which I like) - unless you order a specialty coffee drink or tea drink, such as a flavored latte or chai.

The Winter Garden supper club was $20.

The Chef's Table (for up to 10 people) was a whopping $250!! No way when Todd English can be had for much less and Ralph is an awesome caretaker there.

The King's Court night time specialty sit down was still $10.

I think the King's Court Chef's Galley with the Open Kitchen was about $20...That's the only one which is a little fuzzy.

All reasonable except the Chef's Table.

As for the dining options - as we always dine at a table for 2, we will probably take advantage of the Winter Garden, we go to Todd English as it is, and that would be it for at night. We would probably enjoy a Winter Garden & a Pub Full English breakfast (no charge for either of those except specialty drinks mentioned above.)

Thanks for that. As you say they don't look too bad as prices.

I haven't tried Cunard yet, but looking long and hard at around Aus with them, I just hope that they don't do what so many others seem to have done and downgrade the free to drive people to the pay extra venues.

Cunard has already been offering this - the alternative restaurants already cost $10pp if you have La Piazza, Coriander or Lotus. The price was the same in the survey.

Thanks for that. As you say they don't look too bad as prices.

I haven't tried Cunard yet, but looking long and hard at around Aus with them, I just hope that they don't do what so many others seem to have done and downgrade the free to drive people to the pay extra venues.

I have never felt that way. The afternoon tea is still the best, the menus are still similar to what I have seen in the past, it is still a most elegant ship with great service.

Interesting, given that on the ship it's gone up to $15...

I still saw it for $10 when I was on board and it was listed that way on the survey from what I recall.

To clarify for everyone though - the survey was asking not if I would be interested in seeing these things ...but how many of them would I personally use.

Some remarked that Cunard ships already have some of these options available - but Cunard was asking which options (including the new ones) I would or would not use - including KC buffet, Chef's Table (which was available this past fall), etc.