Live from the 2015 QE World Voyage

Scrapnana

Hi Barbara! Thank you, nice lady. My concern is that others might respond and try faking you out that it is me asking questions. How do you feel about starting a new thread inviting questions about your voyage please? My guess is that many of us have questions that we didn't want to use up your internet time while you (and others) were on board. One thing, if it's ok to ask - do you still feel like you are on a ship? Rather wobbly?

Thanks again. - Salacia

Hi Salacia! You are very thoughtful. I love answering people's questions, because I know that I sure have had a lot over the years and people have been kind enough to answer them for me. So, if I can, answer questions, I am very happy to do so.:)

To answer your question, on previous cruises I have felt "wobbly" for anywhere from 2-4 weeks after the cruise, but strangly after this one, my longest (74 days), I am 100% and have no "wobbly" sensation at all!:)

That's a great idea, Salacia. I'm curious about a lot of things (I'm pretty sure, only of interest to me) and didn't want to ask for the same reason.

Even though I am not on the QE any longer, I would be happy to answer any questions, if I can.:)

Friday 3rd April – Singapore

Weather overcast, arrival time 0800 am.

Queen Elizabeth entered the Singapore Straits in the early hours of the morning, rounding the Ramunia Shoals and joining the Middle Channel. After passing Harsburgh Lighthouse we continued towards the pilot boarding ground, reporting to the various vessel trafficking stations as we went. We embarked the pilot in an area called the East Keppel Fairway to the north of the main channel and then continued through the Jong Fairway towards our berth at Passir Panjang.

The Cruise facility is a new facility opened in 2014, on reclaimed land near the Marina Sands District and has its own MRT station. I understand there were difficulties with immigration last year, it did take a while again this year as we left alongside many disembarking passengers, but it didn’t take much longer than 15 mins for us to pass through although half of our party on the Singapore heritage trip were detained for a lot longer than this. Therefore our 0930 start time ended up being closer to 1030, and on this trip we have noticed that we are usually back from our tours on time, with some stops on trips receiving very limited time indeed. We were required to carry our passports and landing cards whilst ashore, which is always a bit of a pain !

It is 23 years since we last visited Singapore, and it has changed – in fact it has changed massively – particularly in the waterfront and river areas where massive land reclamation has occurred. Singapore is investing in the future by reclaiming land from the sea, and the new marina area is a showcase to this. I would estimate in the not to distant future more high rises will appear in this area merging into the new downtown area. It was also Good Friday and this is one of the few national holidays in Singapore. However most areas appeared open.

Our first call of the day was to the National Orchid Gardens located inside the Botanical gardens where the world’s largest collection of orchids are displayed. A slow walk through the gardens allowed us to view many fine examples, and we also visited an area displaying orchids named after visiting dignitaries such as Margaret Thatcher and Princess Diana as well as world leaders or their wives.

Following this we strolled through Little India taking in the sights sounds and smells of this very busy area and then a walk through the Kampong Glam which is the historical Arab-Malay district and saw sight of the Sultan mosque, although it was covered in scaffolding and plastic sheet in parts.

By this time it was approaching lunchtime and we were taken to the Peony Jade restaurant at Clarke Quay which was voted one of Singapore’s Top Restaurants in 2013. Here we were treated to Sweetcorn soup, Dim Sum and spring rolls followed by sweet and sour chicken with fried rice, all washed down with tea – and beer for those with the necessary currency. Dessert was Lychees and fruit salad in a sugar syrup. Overall quite a tasty offering.

We left the restaurant and joined a river trip on an electric boat which took us down to the Merlion – the symbol of Singapore. Here we had good views of the imposing Marina area and the Marina Sands hotel, known affectionately as the ‘ironing board’ ! The river area itself has been converted into a fresh water reservoir since we were last there, so only electric crafty are allowed on it. We were collected by our coach and then headed to Raffles Hotel where we had 45 minutes to explore and if desired taste the famous Singapore Sling. Expensive but nice !

Our last visits of the day were to the Hindu Mariamann temple, the city’s oldest Hindu temple, followed by a walk through Chinatown and a visit to the very new Buddha Tooth relic temple which is lavishly decorated. A short coach ride took us back to the ship, and we arrived at the cruise terminal at 1800. All on board time was 1900 so that gave us a little time to access the wifi provided in the terminal before re-boarding the ship and setting sail for Port Kelang in Malaysia. Our passports were reclaimed once again by ships staff to be returned to the Purser’s office.

We were a little late leaving, not casting off until approaching 8pm. After dinner we had another early night in preparation of our early start to Kuala Lumpur the next day.

John

Saturday 4th April - Port Kelang, Malaysia

After departure from Singapore last night Queen Elizabeth set various North Wseterley courses through the Malacca Straits. The strait is the main shipping channel between the Indian Ocean and the Pacific Ocean, linking major Asian economies such as India, China, Japan and South Korea. Over 50,000 vessels pass through the strait per year, carrying about one quarter of the worlds traded goods including oil, Chinese manufactures and Indonesian coffee.

About one quarter of all oil carried by sea passes through the strait, mainly from the Persian Gulf Suppliers to the Asian markets. In 2006 an estimated 15 million barrels were transported through the strait.

Early this morning we exited the traffic schemes, embarked our local pilot, made our approach through the 10 nautical mile long channel and manoeuvred alongside at 0730. By this time we have already breakfasted and were waiting in the Royal Court Theatre to be called for our tour to Kuala Lumpur and the Petronas Towers.

Not as many delays as yesterday exiting the ship, and no immigration to pass through to delay us. We were soon on our coach, albeit around 30 mins late and heading into Kuala Lumpur again on busy roads. It took about 1 hour 15 minutes and our first stop was to view the imposing Independence Square, formerly known as Selangor Club Padang. After a walk around we took photos of the imposing colonial type buildings, including the Sultan Abdul Samad Building, the massive flagpole flying the national flag and viewed the cricket pitch, and the very large Panasonic TV screen which dominated one corner of the square. As it was Saturday the main road was closed allowing us better access to this area.

Our next stop was the Petronas Twin Towers and our tickets allowing us to visit the skybridge joining the two towers at level 41 were timed for a 1115. We had some time prior to this so took a quick walk around the Suria KLCC which is based in the basement of the twin towers, and we used this to visit the various food courts to try to decide where we would partake of refreshment after our trip up the towers.

Our coach group was split into two groups for the trip up the towers, and we assembled in the basement for the later 1115 trip. After passing through security we were whisked up to the skybridge by a lift which ascended at 5-6 metres per second, necessitating a several quick swallows to regain our hearing. The skybridge is in fact a unique double deck bridge located at levels 41 and 42, and measures 58.4 metres in length, standing at 170 metres above street level. It is supported by a three-hinged arch located at level 29 of each tower, and facilitates movement for staff between the two towers at level 42.

On arrival at the skybridge we were informed that we had 15 minutes to wander and take photos, and then we would be allowed to take another series of lifts up to the observation deck on the 86th floor, at 370 metres above ground, for another 15 minutes. As the weather was pretty good, a slight mist in the distance, we had some tremendous views from the top and also of the KL Tower which is slightly lower in height, but built on a hill 30 metres high, so virtually the same height as the twin towers.

On our descent we were allowed to revisit the Suria KLCC and we headed off for lunch in one of the food courts where we had an excellent Chinese style lunch for very little money. Refreshed, we were soon back on the coach and taken to the very imposing national monument created as a tribute to the valiant soldiers of the second world war, and especially the Australian Soldiers who tried to protect Malaysia.

This was followed by a visit to the galleria Sri Perdana, the former official residence of the fourth Prime Minister of Malaysia Dr Mahathir Mohamad. Although this was listed as a photo opportunity we were able to enter the residence and walk through the rooms, but photography inside was prohibited. An interesting glimpse into the past life of a famous politician and his family.

All too soon we were back on the bus negotiating the early evening traffic as we headed back to the port, managing to just make it before the all on board time of 1630. Just as we were due to leave the Captain announced that another person would be leaving the ship with a medical problem, so sailing was delayed a little.

Tonights dress code was informal as expected, and the excellent entertainment tonight was provided by Craig Halliday who has been described as the ‘Ultimate violin Showman’. We gain another hour again tonight as the clocks are set back by one hour, giving us an extra hours repose, which is always welcome and the advantage of always travelling in a westerly direction. Tomorrow is Easter Sunday and there will be both catholic and protestant church services held in the morning and the Easter Egg drop in the afternoon ?

We now have four days at sea to catch our breath again after an extremely busy week or so, before we hit Mumbai in India. Dreamflightpat has her very interesting presentation about Dreamflight coming up on the 7th April at 1215 so we hope that will be well attended.

A very Happy Easter to one and all.

John

Hi John, your tours in both Singapore and Kuala Lumpur sound great! I love the way you write your blogs!

I remember when we were in Singapore back in 2013 to embark on QM2 and the terminal was brand new then and they were trying to train a lot of new people to check us in. There were a lot of kinks to be worked out but I liked the location of the terminal. We really liked Singapore and all the wonderful sights! Your description makes us want to go back very soon!

The Petronas Towers in KL were so picturesque and you must have had a great view from the skybridge!

Enjoy your seas days and have a Happy Easter!

John,

Do you happen to know the name of the priest brought on for Easter Week? The one last year was seated at our dining table and I was wondering if he might be back this year.

Kathi

Hi Kathi,

Listed in the daily programme as Father Paul Fitzpatrick, so I think that is a different person to last year ?

John

Edited by Janix

Hi Kathi,

Listed in the daily programme as Father Paul Fitzpatrick, so I think that is a different person to last year ?

John

Yes, a different one. Thanks for checking!

Enjoy the rest of your voyage. I leave Friday for my next cruise. Can't wait to be back on the sea again.

Kathi

Yes, I am certainly glad to read your blog entries John, as I am missing the activity of the cruise!:o Missing you and Andrea too. I miss talking to David and Lin too; if you see them can you say hello from us please?

Kathi, I bet you are more than ready for your cruise to start in this next week. I will be watching sailaway and waving to you and the gang! I also will look forward to following your blog.

Hello Janix John, thanks for you updates. I am reliving the world cruise from last year with now as the ports are the same at the moment. I was pleased to read the terminal in Singapore seemed to run more smoothly than it did for us last year.

BTW have you been emailing me John? I did not recognise your email address as it is different. I have replied so I am hoping I have the correct John. :)

Kathy have a super cruise and enjoy.

Hello everyone on board the Queen Elizabeth and following this thread.

I have been following this thread ever since Scrapnana started it and have enjoyed reading the adventures of Alibabacruisers and Janix. Thank you for all our "live" posts on this World Voyage.

So I was very happy to see the most beautiful ship afloat in Singapore today and hope you wouldn't mind a few photos here.

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=32705

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=32706

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=32707

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=32708

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=32709

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=32710

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=32711

Her scheduled departure time was 7pm but she only cast off at 7:45 so it was dark by the time she sailed off.

For those of you still on board I hope enjoy the rest of your voyage!

_____

QM2 Apr 2005 Southampton - New York

QE Aug 2014 Venice - Athens

Thank you for sharing your wonderful photos.

Hi Maggie,

I did send a couple of emails earlier, and you are correct, I use a different email when travelling to avoid the hundreds of spam messages I receive on my main email.

I'm using gmail if that helps ?

John

Edited by Janix

Tuesday 6th April – At Sea

We are continuing on our transit to Mumbai, and after a beautiful full moon and calm seas last night, we have blue skies with a little cloud and glorious sunshine. It is still very warm and humid and the odd lobster or two have been spotted on the upper decks, despite the Captains warnings about the sun.

At around 8am this morning we passed along the southern shore of Sri Lanka and through the traffic separation scheme about 7 miles off Dondra Head, and once abeam Matara and then Galle gradually changed our course to a North westerly direction, heading towards Cape Comorin on mainland India.

At 11am this morning we were required to pick up eye patches, hats with the skull and crossbones and scimitars in preparation for our ‘Pirate drill’ – ooh aah. Not really – but the thought was there ! We had received instruction sheets overnight detailing the actions to be taken in case there was any suspicious activity around the ship and in order to familiarise everyone with these a drill was held for all passengers and crew. Possibly for the first time many passengers met their neighbours in the corridors whilst the drill was performed? This only lasted around 20 minutes, and everything is now back to normal.

We have booked a private tour in Mumbai with Pranav of Grand Mumbai Tours, as recommended by Maggiemou and Scrapnana last year, and we met up with the other couples yesterday in order to arrange a smooth departure from the ship on Thursday. I have been in contact with Pranav via email over the last few days, and we are all looking forwarded to his trip.

Tonight we are trying the Lido Alternative restaurant for the first time this trip, and all members of our table are joining us for tonight’s offering, Jasmine.

Another very relaxing day at sea.

John

Hi Maggie,

I did send a couple of emails earlier, and you are correct, I use a different email when travelling to avoid the hundreds of spam messages I receive on my main email.

I'm using gmail if that helps ?

John

Hello JnA

Now I know why I have not had a response to my emails. They've gone to btinternet. My email account us on the roll call.

Enjoying reading your blog. D and Ai are seriously thinking of doing HK to SOU next year.

Missing our friends on the QE.

Christine and David

Hello JnA

Now I know why I have not had a response to my emails. They've gone to btinternet. My email account us on the roll call.

Enjoying reading your blog. D and Ai are seriously thinking of doing HK to SOU next year.

Missing our friends on the QE.

Christine and David

Ahaaa, I'd wondered where you had gone to !

Will send you a mail :-)

John

This last week has been a little more busy on the social side, and for completeness we have the following additional non port related activities to report on.

Sunday 5th April – At sea

Easter Sunday was the day for the famous ‘Duckling’ Party on board QE which was held between the hours of 1845 and 2030 in the Yacht Club, hosted by the entertainment director Amanda Reid and Ducking Wing Commander ‘The Yorkshire’ Terry Waite, aided by his Lieutenant Brian. Robin Rose and Magician Brett Sherwood provided the entertainment. A good time was had by all and many new ducklings were inducted during the first part of the voyage, and I am told there may be over 2000 members now including many Cunard Masters and many entertainers.

Monday 6th April – At sea

Another Cunard world club wine tasting, but for the first time the sessions were on consecutive days this trip for Diamond and Platinum members. Four wines from Chile were offered for our delectation and the cheese was also very nice !

Tuesday 7th April – At Sea

Today was the long awaited presentation by Dreamflight Pat about her life in the air working as cabin crew with British Airways and also how she came to found Dreamflight in 1986, the charity which takes underprivileged and seriously ill children on the trip of a lifetime to Florida. We missed her talk last year as it was scheduled for after San Francisco, so had to return this year in order to hear her very professional presentation ;-) Well done Pat !

In the evening we had booked a meal at the Lido Alternative dining, together with the other members of our Britannia Restaurant table, and had a very good meal at Jasmine. This was a mixture of Far Eastern cuisines which everyone greatly enjoyed. There is normally a small surcharge of $15 for this.

Otherwise we still are progressing towards Abu Dhabi, for our arrival on the 12th.

John

9th April – Mumbai

Well the day has finally arrived, we were visiting India for the very first time. After all the stories would it be as good or as bad as people had suggested – multiple stories had been received of how it was like marmite, you either love it or hate it ? The ship had arrived earlier than scheduled at 6am and customs and immigration officers were on board soon after.

After the trauma of obtaining the Chinese and Indian visas and the not insignificant cost of £532.14 for the pair of us for both visas, we hoped that we would perhaps be enlightened rather than depressed after our visit. In order to prepare for this, we had diligently read maggiemou’s and Kathi’s blogs and account of their trip last year, and decided to use the same guide as they did. Pranav of Great Mumbai Tours had been contacted before we left home and we had arranged to take his comprehensive trip along with another two couples. Pranav had remained in touch throughout the voyage and I had received regular emails from him. We arranged for a meeting with the other couples on board prior to our arrival, and then arranged to meet in the Midships bar at 0830 on the day of arrival.

However the evening before we were advised by an announcement in the daily programme that there would be a face to face inspection the following morning in the Queens Room, commencing at 0600 hrs, and shuttle buses would not be available until 10am ? I know of people who cancelled on board tours because of this - ‘we are on holiday don’t intend rising at 5am !’ I enquired at reception whether we would be allowed to leave the ship at 0830 and walk through the port area to the ‘green gate’ in order to commence our tour at 9am. They were unsure and suggested it may not be possible. I then asked whether the shuttle buses would start any earlier, and it was suggested they would not. An emergency email was sent to Pranav who suggested we meet him when we could and he would be waiting from 0830 until we arrived at the gate. Seemingly not a good start, especially when the all on board time was 1630 ?

After all the fuss with obtaining the visas this upset several passengers, and the queues stretched further than when we underwent immigration in New York. However Sixty five minutes after joining the queue which stretched from the Queens room to the Britannia restaurant, back to the midship stairs and up the stairs onto deck three, we eventually had our passports and visas checked, had a photocopy of our passport stamped and an exit/entry card for access to the port also stamped. We then met our fellow travellers and headed the ship at 0830. I asked if there was a shuttle bus available, and lo and behold there was! Hurray. We had been told it was a 15/20 minute walk to the port gate, but in fact it was only a minute or two in the shuttle, and would have taken maybe 5 mins walking. Our documents were checked coming off the boat, in the cruise terminal and at the ‘Green gate’. Security was very tight as we also seemed to be adjacent to the Indian Navy base, with many navy vessels in port.

As we passed through the Green gate, Pranav strode up and greeted us, he had recognised me from a photo I had sent him the day before (he also sent me a photo of himself, just in case !) and we were greeted as long lost friends. We were soon on a small very comfortable coach and heading off into Mumbai. Pranav introduced himself properly and was soon pointing out sites on the way into town. We had agreed via previous emails that we did not have time to do the extensive trip with 21 sites, and this was cut down to ‘Margarets trip’, which basically included the sites that last year’s participants were able to accomplish in the time ashore especially as Mumbai is a very busy city and the all on board time was earlier than we all had expected. On a cost per hour basis, this was an expensive port, and I do wonder why Cunard does not include an extra port in China and India to make visiting these countries a little more cost effective (and also make obtaining a visa a little easier, as a multiple entry Chinese visa can currently be obtained 6 months before the visit)?

However we had a very interesting day and Pranav was a good and informative host, with a sense of fun. Our first stop on the trip was to the outdoor laundry called Dhobi Ghat which was just coming to life, and fortunately we had managed to beat the Cunard tours enabling us to park easily on the bridge overlooking the laundry. As the tour progressed it emerged that we were making good time, and Pranav suggested that we would in all likelihood be able to visit all the 21 sites on his Grand Mumbai : 21 best in Mumbai which normally takes 7 hours.

We were driven in a small coach and managed to visit all the following sites –

1. Banganga – the Holy Ganges cistern

2. Jain Temple

3. The Hanging Gardens, built over the cities water tanks. A quiet oasis amongst the bustle!

4. Kamala Nehru Park

5. The Hare Krishna ISCKON Temple, where we talked to a Canadian Monk.

6. Victoria Terminus Train Station

7. A walk through Crawford food and pet market.

8. A ride on a suburban train (where the doors do not close !)

9. The Gateway of India

10. A view of the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel and the newer extension

11. Mumbai University

12. Rajabai Clock tower – The Big Ben of India

13. A drive past the the Ovaal Cricket Ground, and watch an over of cricket

14. The Bombay High Court

15. Drive past the Flora Fountain

16. Food lane – The original Khau Galli where we tasted a traditional Pav Bhaji

17. View the Dabbawalas – the lunchbox delivery boys of Mumbai

18. Drive past marine drive and Chowpatty beach

19. Drive past the rich neighbourhood of Altamount Road

20. Walk past the front gates of the billion dollar home of the richest man

21. Dhobi Gat – the open air laundry.

So quite a comprehensive view of Mumbai. After all the negative comments about the place, we did enjoy our day here. Yes there is poverty, with many people begging, cows on the street, absolutely crazy driving, horrendous traffic, hoping the traffic will stop when you cross the road, noticeable security with armed police and army personnel, and many shabby buildings but it is what it is – an up and coming third world country in parts with a defined class structure and extravagant shows of wealth.

We sailed at 1700 hours and we think a couple of passengers did not make it back to the ship on time ? There were also another of medical evacs just before we left.

John

Thanks for your interesting blog for Mumbai. It sounds like Pranav was a great choice. He did a wonderful job being flexible and accommodating, while being professional as well. I am so glad it worked out for you all. I will remember him for future reference. I think it was interesting that you describe the experience as you did because after reading a lot of people's thoughts on India, I feel that other people have unrealistic expectations and then feel disappointed.

I agree with you in that Cunard should make India and China more worthwhile, like increasing the time and days, especially with all the hassle you have to go through to get those visas. We have never had to go through the process for India but the Chinese visa was a bit scary as the lady tried to tell us that we could NOT get a visa before the 3 month "cutoff". It all worked out though.

Didn't Karen and Stan go with you on this tour? I hope they had a good time too and if you see them please say hi from us.

Edited by alibabacruisers

... We sailed at 1700 hours and we think a couple of passengers did not make it back to the ship on time ? ...
Hi Janix,

Thanks for the update. Yes, at least one passenger was left behind (had been on a non-Cunard tour). He is staying in Mumbai, will fly to rejoin the ship in Abu Dhabi, so I am told.

Very much enjoying your posts, keep 'em coming, thank you :)

Best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

Hi Janix!

Thanks so much for your run down of your day in Mumbai, it's very useful to know realistically what can be done in the limited amount of time you were in port. We were due to go to Mumbai on our 2010 QM2 trip, but the port was cancelled, so hopefully we will get there one day!