Live from the 2015 QE World Voyage

Scrapnana

John,

Glad you found Pranav as personable as we did. How did you like the street food? I rather liked it although it was spicier than what I normally eat.

I agree that there should be two or three stops in those high cost visa countries.

Now on Westerdam which is easy to find my way around because she is so like QE in layout. They are testing unlimited internet so for 16 days I don't have to log out. Cost was a rather reasonable $229.

Enjoy the remainder of the voyage (time really flies by).

Kathi

Hi Kathi,

Nice to hear you are keeping your sea legs in trim ! Enjoyed Pranavs trip greatly, doubt we could have done as much on a ship tour, and I must admit the street food was good.

Similar to you I found it a little spicy to begin, but couldn't stop eating it !

Enjoy your trip on Westerdam I will look it up on our return which now is only 3 weeks away [emoji24]

It is the World Cruise dinner tomorrow night, so hoping for an excellent night at the Atlantis.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Host Hattie, I will try my best [emoji2]

It is very warm here in Abu Dhabi, forecast was for 40c but the temp sensor on our bus was registering 53C in the sun. At least it is not humid !

I guess we get the same temps tomorrow ?

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have been in Dubai for the last few days enjoying a pre cruise stay - just checked AIS Marine and QE is heading our way!

We have a car booked from our hotel at 12 noon so hope to be in board enjoying lunch by 1pm -

Enjoy your evening at Atlantis and please let us know all about it. The world cruise dinners are one of our favorite things.

Totally agree with you about the cost and hassle of getting visas for countries where the ship only stops for one or two days. Having done that a couple of times we chose the QV for next year - - no India or China.

Enjoy your evening at Atlantis and please let us know all about it. The world cruise dinners are one of our favorite things.

Totally agree with you about the cost and hassle of getting visas for countries where the ship only stops for one or two days. Having done that a couple of times we chose the QV for next year - - no India or China.

I agree with you also. We have been to India a few times on World cruises but this year decided not go anywhere near India. Even though I love it we have such a lot of hassle and extra cost. As we have no UK address and can not get visas in our country of residence we have to pay a huge amount to get our visas. Over £1000 pounds last year. China is as bad for us now as we can no longer get a visa here and again have huge problems and pay top price to get them for a few hours on shore. We will not touch India again and cruise in an area away from there.

I received this today following last night's World Cruise dinner in Dubai.

“The organisation left much to be desired. Our invitation several weeks ago was for dinner at 7 pm. We were not told officially until 24 hours before the dinner that we were to be ready at the gangway at 5 pm to be taken to the venue. Only those who had asked because they wanted to plan their day in Dubai were told of the early start.

A few days before the dinner we were asked for our menu preferences between "Lamb, Meat (Chicken) and Vegetarian". We asked if we would have a choice of lamb and chicken dishes and was told by our world cruise concierge that we would. We did not. There was one lamb dish which was so unevenly cooked (red and pink splotches inside) that I sent mine back for chicken. (When that arrived I had to ask for replacement cutlery.) We will not be surprised to hear of a few upset stomachs today - the day after.

As far as the seating was concerned we were allocated places at 10-seater tables by the hotel. At that stage of a world cruise we would have expected us to be given the opportunity to dine with passengers we had befriended. We discovered only at the dinner that some passengers HAD been given the chance to choose their tables and fellow-diners, but when we asked we were told by our concierge that it was all in the hands of the hotel. … we tried to get a seating plan onboard the ship on the day of the dinner but was told it was not available. We were told that we would see a seating plan as soon as we arrived at the venue but all there was was a map showing the position of each table - not who was sitting at each.

During and after dinner there was entertainment on a stage at one end of the marquee but this was almost invisible from our table. Needless to say most of the ship's officers had ringside views at the front - none of them was in the back row near us and a large number of passengers who'd actually paid to be there.

We could see only the moving head-dresses of the dancers - and often not even these when diners in front of us ignored a request from our entertainments manager that guests who wished to stand or take pictures should move to the back of the marquee to allow others to see. Several were asked by other passengers behind to sit down as requested.

Apart from the lamb the meal itself was acceptable, though the wine waiters were notable by their absence from the back rows. A few passengers had to walk (quite a distance!) to where the ship's hotel general manager was sitting near the front to tell him that we were being ignored. And the coffee that was on the menu was not served to the back rows. Eventually we asked for a cup each and the third waiter we asked brought one cup after about ten minutes. A fellow guest at the table asked for decaffeinated and had to wait several minutes to be told they didn't have any and to be offered a cup of ordinary coffee diluted half-and-half with water!

After the promotional speeches from Cunard and our captain there was a sycophantic tribute to the latter from one of the guests who claimed to be speaking for all of us. When he ended there was little if any applause for the captain or Cunard from any of the tables near us.

A highlight of the world cruise? Not in a million years. A badly-organised mediocre meal served (sometimes) by incompetent staff”

I feel awful 'cus I encouraged them to attend... :o

Edited by pepperrn

Sunday 12th April – Abu Dhabi

Docked early morning at the Mina Zayed Cruise terminal where we were greeted by a troupe of white robed male dancers with sticks or swords which they waved around whilst chanting, with Bedouin tents in the background. There was free wifi available in the cruise terminal. They appear to be building a new terminal next door, so the new terminal is expected to have more facilities.

We had not visited Abu Dhabi before, except as a stopover on a flight to the Far East, and had been warned by the Sky weather forecast to expect temps of 40C. As it was the high was 41C and that was hot – but a totally different, dry heat to that of Mumbai and many of the equatorial stops recently. The coach provided had an inside and outside temperature display, and although at one stage it reached 28C inside, the external temperature in the sun read 53C !!!

This was another Cunard excursion entitled the ‘Abu Dhabi City Tour’, a half day tour. Our first stop was the Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Grand Mosque built as a tribute to the formed ruler by his son the current President Sheikh Kalifa. Everyone had to cover up here, no Heads, shoulders, elbows or ankles on show at all although men could wear short sleeve shirts. Everyone was vetted when they left the ship and from our coach 9 ladies were refused admission, mainly because they wore white trousers. All coaches were similarly vetted by male security, and there were many female passengers refused entry, and were told they could not leave the car park and to re-board the coach, without any explanation. Our guide said that if she asked for reasons she would lose her licence ?

The mosque form the outside is a brilliant white colour and shimmers in the desert heat. There are fountains at the entrance and is very ornate inside. There are three massive Swarowski crystal and 24 carat cold chandeliers in the ceiling, and inlaid marble columns and walls with the largest carpet in the world covering the floor. Certainly impressive, but no-one seems to know what is cost. Shoes had to be removed at the entrance before entering the mosque.

Our next stop was the Zayed Centre, a museum for Presidential memorabilia, featuring Sheikh Zayed’s favourite cars, rifles and gifts received from royalty all over the world. This was followed by a drive past the 6 star Emirates Palace Hotel, and a photo stop at the Breakwater for views of the beach and skyline.

Following this we were taken to the Heritage village which gave a glimpse into the simple life and times before the discovery of oil and then a drive along the Corniche back to the ship.

The afternoon was spent looking at the stalls in the terminal, and using wifi in the terminal prior to our departure at 6pm, even though it was only about 100 miles sail to Dubai.

John

Monday 13th April – Dubai

0600 this morning found us moored up at the cruise terminal in Port Rashid, Dubai. As is often the case in Dubai, the port is in a vast area of reclaimed land and it is some distance to the Port gates. The cruise terminal, situated in a newly constructed Arab Style building, however is probably one of the best, if not the best in the world. Beautiful marble floor, small shopping area, but very spacious. There is free wifi which appeared to be quite fast and very good air conditioning  The temperature outside appeared lower than Abu Dhabi and when I checked on my phone it suggested 33C, which is still hot, but not as hot as the previous port.

Our arrival in Dubai meant we had completed a complete trip around the world on Queen Elizabeth, which started with last year’s cruise, but of course we are returning to Southampton to complete this year’s circumnavigation. As we had stayed 3 days here last year, and with the World Cruise Dinner on the horizon, we had not booked any trips here this year. We were quite content to take the shuttle bus into the Burjuman Mall and spend a few hours there before returning to the ship to prepare for the evening at Atlantis, The Palm.

Although the Burjuman Mall has many designer shops and is also home to a Saks 5th Avenue branch, there were a couple of shops advertising 90% of designer clothing. One of these was Ted Lapidus from Paris, and it so happened that I was able to find a quality blazer of the correct size which was priced at £400 with 90% off ! Needless to say this shop seemed very popular with Cunard passengers and crew! Shirts were also very well discounted at £8 each. Unfortunately it was a men only shop, but some other shops were advertising sale goods as well.

After a quick shared sandwich for lunch we took the shuttle back to the port, updated some apps using wifi and returned to the ship in order to get glammed up for the evening. I think I saw QE2’s red funnel in another part of the port, but it didn’t appear to be in the same position as it was last year, and it was only a fleeting glimpse from the shuttle bus.

John

Monday 13th April – World Cruise Dinner.

Yesterday evening we attended the World cruise dinner, a thank you from Cunard for those passengers that were intending to complete the circumnavigation in 2015 on Queen Elizabeth or had transferred from another Cunard vessel. As far as I am aware, anyone that actually completes more than 82 days on Cunard vessels during the World cruise season should be invited to their respective cruise dinner, and these were held earlier in Auckland for QM2 and QV.

We had been informed a few months back that this years dinner for Queen Elizabeth passengers was to be held at 7pm at Atlantis, The Palm, Dubai with a cocktail reception beforehand and many people were greatly looking forward to the venue. Once the venue was announced I was asked if I had anyone we would like to be seated with, and so we organised a table of 8 persons and submitted the details well in advance to Gabriela, the World Cruise Concierge. Later we were sent a simple questionnaire enquiring about menu choices and asking about sensitivities/allergies etc.

On Sunday we received a letter informing us that we should proceed to gangway around 5 pm where coaches would await to transport us to Atlantis for a spectacular evening, and also enclosed was a card advising us of our table number. After quick check with our other tablemates we confirmed that we were all allocated the same table and we arranged to meet at the Midships bar at 1645, in order to progress to the coach as one group.

The Coach journey took around 45 minutes through the early evening traffic and gave everyone on board a glimpse of the business district and all the skyscrapers including the Burj al Kalifa, and the Dubai Mall. We turned off the main expressway onto the Palm Island and caught glimpses of the luxury villas situated there. However not all the fronds are inhabited and some are still sandy areas. The Atlantis hotel towered in the distance and it wasn’t long before we arrived at the venue, a large tented function room adjacent to the Hotel. We were allowed off the coach and joined the reception line into the venue, which included Angus Struthers Cunard CEO, Captain Inger Thorhauge and many of the ships senior officers.

After entering the venue there was a Cocktail Reception and there was an outside lawned area overlooking the sea, where many people congregated. From here we were able to view the famous hotel and the shore line along with adjacent fronds and watch the sun gradually set. There were some bird handlers displaying their hawks, and young ladies dressed with tables carrying drinks and a plentiful supply of waiters vying to top up your drinks. There was also a covered area with a bar, separate from the main dining area for those wishing to stay indoors.

As the sun descended in the sky we were called to dinner, and we headed to our table, adjacent to stage area. It wasn’t long before there was a procession of young waiters bringing the first course. In fact I have never seen as many waiters in once place before !

MENU:

Leek and Potato Terrine

Truffle jelly, Asparagus, Pickles and Eggs

Confit Red Snapper

Artichoke, Verbena Foam

Roast Lamb Rack

Confit Leg, Potatoes Mousseline, Nicoise garnish, Olive Jus

OR

Turmeric Roasted Chicken Supreme

Coriander Mash Potato, Saffron Fennel, Creamed Spinach, Jus Gras

Walnut Carrot Cake

Crispy Molasses Ice Cream

Petit Fours

Freshly Brewed Coffee and Selection of Tea.

Red and White Wine was served with the meal.

Entertainment was provided by a troupe of Male dancers and also a troupe of female belly dancers, and a very good live group. The dance floor was well occupied.

Short speeches were made Captain Thorhauge and Angus Struther thanking everyone for travelling with Cunard, and wishing everyone a very pleasant evening.

With around 600 World cruisers it was a busy evening, but everyone on our table enjoyed the event. Mass catering for 600 people cannot be easy but we found the offerings most palatable, although there was the odd glitch in service. However any errors or omissions were soon corrected.

All too soon the evening was over and we returned to the coaches for the trip to the ship and our midnight sailing to Salalah.

John

Thank you John & Andrea for your report on the world cruise dinner. Sounds like the same procedure we have followed on two previous world cruise dinners in Dubai. This year was a change of venue and I hope it was as good as the previous venue.

We have always had a wonderful time at the world cruise dinners in the past and I was sad to read the report from someone via Peppern that they has not enjoyed the event.

How they never knew to meet at 5-0pm I do not know.

We always had a good table an hosted one at that and friends can sit together if pre arranged. I am glad you enjoyed your evening.

It may not have pleased the other poster but all I can say is that Cunard do not have to give world cruisers any world cruise parties , free gifts, or a world cruise dinner. I think it is great that they do as we took a world cruise on P&O and you get nothing!!

You know this is true John as you were on the same voyage. So carry Cunard arranging world cruise dinners. You will never please everyone but in my experience it is a fantastic night out with lots of free booze for those who drink. Top class entertainment and a stunning venue. Oh! yes and great company as most people are in a good mood and just loving every minute of it.

Edited by maggiemou

Hi Peppern ,

I have read the post from your friend. Not a lot to say as I was not there but one thing that attracted my attention was the passenger who got up to make a speech. That was probably a guy named Stanley and he never gets any applause as no one knows why is there in the first place. :confused: :)

He is full of his own non importance. :) and a dreadful karaoke singer to boot:D

We have had some great speeches at world cruise dinners and the best was from Captain Kevin Oprey. He had tears in his eyes when he told how he became a sea Captain and went on to become the Captain of QM2 . A genuine man with a genuine speech he made from his heart.

Long live world cruise dinners as they are there as a show of appreciation to guests for spending a small fortune on a voyage and it is worth every penny. Cunard do the best world cruises and they like to show you are deserved. ;)

Whether it suits everyone well, I would be feel it is hard not to be suited with it. A good night out on the town after almost one hundred nights of Cunard life and food on-board is always a good night IMO.

Hi Peppern ,

I have read the post from your friend. Not a lot to say as I was not there but one thing that attracted my attention was the passenger who got up to make a speech. That was probably a guy named Stanley and he never gets any applause as no one knows why is there in the first place.

He is full of his own non importance. and a dreadful karaoke singer to boot

We have had some great speeches at world cruise dinners and the best was from Captain Kevin Oprey. He had tears in his eyes when he told how he became a sea Captain and went on to become the Captain of QM2 . A genuine man with a genuine speech he made from his heart.

Long live world cruise dinners as they are there as a show of appreciation to guests for spending a small fortune on a voyage and it is worth every penny. Cunard do the best world cruises and they like to show you are deserved.

Whether it suits everyone well, I would be feel it is hard not to be suited with it. A good night out on the town after almost one hundred nights of Cunard life and food on-board is always a good night IMO.

Hi maggiemou

Thank you so very much for your post. I have great respect for those who have done world cruises, like yourself and janix, as mine is still some years away, boohoo! I really enjoyed reading your post above, thank you for taking the time to post.

Please understand, I am not taking sides here, I have no opinion on the evening as I was not there. I merely posted what was sent to me. The person who sent it has a vast experience in attending formal dinners around the world, in many different cultures and countries, and was really looking forward to the evening. I think you can sense the disappointment in the post.

They have added something about the venue in the last few minutes. They say they were intentionally given the impression from photographs on invites that the event was to be held in the hotel, not in a tent outside. And that, when several people tried to enter the hotel lobby, to see how great the hotel was on the inside, security denied them access.

The people I am in contact with on QE (more than one person) are very practical, un-Cunard-romantic (if you see what I mean), unblinkered people who do not own rose-tinted spectacles. Whether that makes for too-harsh unforgiving reporting, I cannot say. I tend to be more forgiving and overlook incidental issues as unimportant. But not everyone does, obviously!

Thank you again, I do love your posts :) .

With sincere best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

Hi maggiemou

Thank you so very much for your post. I have great respect for those who have done world cruises, like yourself and janix, as mine is still some years away, boohoo! I really enjoyed reading your post above, thank you for taking the time to post.

Please understand, I am not taking sides here, I have no opinion on the evening as I was not there. I merely posted what was sent to me. The person who sent it has a vast experience in attending formal dinners around the world, in many different cultures and countries, and was really looking forward to the evening. I think you can sense the disappointment in the post.

They have added something about the venue in the last few minutes. They say they were intentionally given the impression from photographs on invites that the event was to be held in the hotel, not in a tent outside. And that, when several people tried to enter the hotel lobby, to see how great the hotel was on the inside, security denied them access.

The people I am in contact with on QE (more than one person) are very practical, un-Cunard-romantic (if you see what I mean), unblinkered people who do not own rose-tinted spectacles. Whether that makes for too-harsh unforgiving reporting, I cannot say. I tend to be more forgiving and overlook incidental issues as unimportant. But not everyone does, obviously!

Thank you again, I do love your posts :) .

With sincere best wishes,

Thank you Peppern. Thanks for your reply. I also could feel the disappointment in the email you published.

Cunard moved to the new venue of the Atlantis and sounds as if things were not as good as previous years. In the past we have attended two world cruise dinners at JUMERAH MADINAT which is near the Al Arab hotel It is a stunning place and a superb venue. We had outstanding entertainment and the food was also good. It is a shame if this years dinner was not so. Maybe Cunard will move back to Jumerah Madinat in the future. I just hope that too many people do not express too much disappointment as it would be a shame if Cunard stopped the dinners .

On Arcadia world cruise we received no such dinner but did get an invite to a morning coffee event where we were served cold coffee and a biscuit on a paper napkin. True! I really appreciate the Cunard world cruise dinner, but maybe I have the rose tinted glasses on. ;) It is good to get off the ship with all the senior officers and everyone in black tie and lovely evening dresses. The food could be rubbish for me but I would still enjoy the atmosphere of the place and the event. Last year many people drank themselves silly as there was so much free drink. I do not drink wine at all but plenty of people made up for me. :) One guy was iill before he reached the dinner table. :) How un Cunard. :D

Thanks for you post and nice to talk . Have a good day. Maggie.

For anyone interested here is what happened last year in Dubai and the world cruise dinner.

http://www.cruise.co.uk/forum/109-cruise-news/41032-maggiemous-adventures-arabian-nights-abu-dhabi-dubai.html

Edited by maggiemou
to add more comment.

Tuesday 14th April – At Sea

The last Cruise Critic meet & greet for this voyage was held today in the Yacht Club at 1pm and we had many new faces. Since Barbara left the ship in Hong Kong, Karen and Stan (Kahtrav) have taken over the position as hosts, and we had around 20 people come to see us.

There has been some confusion in the past where people have seen the Cruise Critic meeting listed in the Daily Programme and mistakenly assume this is a central point to air their complaints and grievances. Dreamflight Pat had offered to carry out this important task, and document and forward these to the nearest dustbin, but fortunately her services were not required this time 

On behalf of everyone that attended our little get togethers, can I thank Barbara and Karen for taking the lead in these meetings. Also thanks to everyone that attended for sparing the time to meet and chat, and happy cruising to all in the future.

Wed 15th April - At Sea

Salalah is our next port of call tomorrow, arrival circa 0800 and depart 1600 hrs local. Currently on a SW course tracking down the coast of Oman at 16 knots, clear skies and temps in the 30's. Formal evening this evening and Cocktail reception for new guests.

John

Edited by Janix
Add date

Tuesday 14th April – At Sea

The last Cruise Critic meet & greet for this voyage was held today in the Yacht Club at 1pm and we had many new faces. Since Barbara left the ship in Hong Kong, Karen and Stan (Kahtrav) have taken over the position as hosts, and we had around 20 people come to see us.

There has been some confusion in the past where people have seen the Cruise Critic meeting listed in the Daily Programme and mistakenly assume this is a central point to air their complaints and grievances. Dreamflight Pat had offered to carry out this important task, and document and forward these to the nearest dustbin, but fortunately her services were not required this time 

On behalf of everyone that attended our little get togethers, can I thank Barbara and Karen for taking the lead in these meetings. Also thanks to everyone that attended for sparing the time to meet and chat, and happy cruising to all in the future.

Wed 15th April - At Sea

Salalah is our next port of call tomorrow, arrival circa 0800 and depart 1600 hrs local. Currently on a SW course tracking down the coast of Oman at 16 knots, clear skies and temps in the 30's. Formal evening this evening and Cocktail reception for new guests.

John

Thanks John. Great to chat just now. I am thoroughly enjoying my half world cruise. Did the other half last year as you know.

For anyone that missed her first talk, I have just been informed that Dreamflight Pat will be speaking once again on board QE about her 39 year career with British Airways and details of the Charity Dreamflight, which she co-founded and is now in its 29th year, for which she was awarded the MBE by Her Majesty the Queen, in 1997. Check your daily programme for the lecture on Saturday the 18th April.

Thanks John for you wonderful blog and I appreciate you taking the time to fill us in on your experiences.

I am glad the M&G have done well and I appreciate your thanks! As most of you may know it was my first time organizing and "heading" the M&G (while I was onboard). I know it wasn't as nice as you may have attended in the past but I appreciate everyone who attended and supported me in the cause!!! A big thanks to Karen for taking over when I left too.

I am looking forward to hearing about Salalah! Oh I did have another question and it is regarding Abu Dhabi. When you discussed that some of the women on the coaches were "rejected", some of whom were wearing white pants, why were the others "rejected and did any women get thru? I mean, was it because of the dress code; i.e., elbow or ankles, etc. showing. I know you said they gave no explanation, but was wondering if they ever heard?

Hello to my new friends and hope you are all doing well and having a great time....still ;)! I hope you will keep in touch! I also hope that you all are still following this blog!

John and Andrea (John are you still using all your gadgets, and Andrea are you keeping him in line;) )

David and Lin (miss seeing and talking with you; I should've been in the gym with you all along!)

Maddie and Ray(hope you are having a better time)

Pat (sorry I missed your lecture!)

Judith (how are you going with your trivia?)

Lanny and Marcia (how was your overland?)

Barb (one) and Richard (how was your overland? and Barb one are you keeping Richard in line ;) )

Sandra (miss hearing your tales of that "guy" ....lol)

Anita and Barry (hope you both are still smiling and planning more cruises)

John and Rosa, Richard and Linda (it was good to meet you both!)

Sally (hope you are doing well and have not had any more tender experiences like Lahaina)

Karen and Stan (hope you guys are doing well and sharing your smiles with everyone!)

I can't believe the last segment of the World Voyage has begun. To all of those still onboard, I wish you a fantastic remainder of your journey. To those of you I was lucky enough to meet on the first segment or talked with on the roll call, I hope our paths will cross again.

Kathi