Live from the 2015 QE World Voyage

Scrapnana

Ali and I are glad you are on the mend John and thank you for all your reports along the way. It is hard to believe that it is nearly time for you to be thinking about packing and then disembarking.

Hi Barbara,

I am really trying not to think about it, but I suppose needs must. It doesn't matter that we have done this many times before, I just don't like arriving home and having to leave my adopted 'penthouse' !

I always find the last days so sad, the final quick exit from your home of several months, and do not relish assaulting the amount of mail and other things necessary once we finally arrive home. It really takes a long, long time to sort out.

Thanks for the company,

John

Hi John & Andrea.

Sorry John to hear you have been unwell. Hope you are getting better. Enjoy your final world cruise party and have a good time with Jason He is good company . Give him JT & my regards. We have dined with him in past. Have a good evening. Maggie x

Hi Maggie,

I will try my best, and will try to be 100 % this evening. Weather currently is good, sunny blue skies and calm, after the bouncy night last night 9which I slept through - what bounce ?).

Hope you get an email soon !

John

John,

Sorry you are taking home the Cunard cough as a souvenir. From personal experience I know it takes some time to go away!

Andrea,

Wishing you an early Happy Birthday!

Not envying you both the packing. Ugh!:eek:

John,

Sorry you are taking home the Cunard cough as a souvenir. From personal experience I know it takes some time to go away!

Andrea,

Wishing you an early Happy Birthday!

Not envying you both the packing. Ugh!:eek:

Thanks Kathi, yes we have got to that stage when everything points to the down ramp in Southampton. I'm a lot better, but still have the cough. Met up with Pat earlier, and everyone wonder what to do next year now ?

Well we definitely have no plans for next year at present, although that can change in an instant.

I don't think Andrea views her birthday with much regard this year, it certainly wont be the same as last year !

We are just passing through the Straits of Gibraltar as I type this, with an excellent view of Ceuta on the African side, from our balcony, lit up by the evening sunshine. It's not warm though ! It looks like the Pillars of Hercules today as we pass !

John

Thursday 30th April - Lisbon

Arrived Lisbon this morning but wasn't in a hurry to leave the ship, as we have visited many times in the past. I gather because we were a little later than expected this morning our departure has been delayed for an extra hour this evening - 1630 did seem a little early to depart.

So a quiet walk around the city centre and lunch in Black Horse Square followed by a return to the ship in the middle of the afternoon. No rushing about, a gentle day for our last port of call. Of course many others were taking trip left right and centre and in the warm 22C sunshine it was a pleasant place to be.

The little shop situated just outside the new cruise terminal at the Jardim do Tobacco seemed to be doing a roaring trade when we returned to the ship. Mateus Rose, remember that, was still on sale here at 5 euros a bottle. A lot of port and brandy were also disappearing from the shelves !

The last sailaway party has been put back until 1730 so should be good in the sunshine. I gather QM2 is headed northwards from Madeira and QV left New York a few days ago. Nothing has been said about a meeting at sea, shame it is not happening this year, it was a great spectacle last year.

So the last leg beckons !

John

Edited by Janix

Thursday 30th April - Lisbon

Arrived Lisbon this morning but wasn't in a hurry to leave the ship, as we have visited many times in the past. I gather because we were a little later than expected this morning our departure has been delayed for an extra hour this evening - 1630 did seem a little early to depart.

So a quiet walk around the city centre and lunch in Black Horse Square followed by a return to the ship in the middle of the afternoon. No rushing about, a gentle day for our last port of call. Of course many others were taking trip left right and centre and in the warm 22C sunshine it was a pleasant place to be.

The little shop situated just outside the new cruise terminal at the Jardim do Tobacco seemed to be doing a roaring trade when we returned to the ship. Mateus Rose, remember that, was still on sale here at 5 euros a bottle. A lot of port and brandy were also disappearing from the shelves !

The last sailaway party has been put back until 1730 so should be good in the sunshine. I gather QM2 is headed northwards from Madeira and QV left New York a few days ago. Nothing has been said about a meeting at sea, shame it is not happening this year, it was a great spectacle last year.

So the last leg beckons !

John

Thanks John. We did have a fabulous day in Lisbon last year with all three Queens there. Never mind you have a sailaway party to look forward to. I have been reliving the sailaways on the cruise you and I were on in 2013. Not a good world cruise in many ways, but boy did we enjoy the sailaway parties.

If I can say Piano cruises do anything at all well, it was the sailaways and your DVD's on You Tube are still there. I saw a thread on FB about the sailaways and they were talking about this woman who dressed up at all sailaway parties on that voyage.

I replied and posted some photos they were asking who the woman was . I had to admit it was me.:) Who else would wear a multi coloured wig and a hula hula skirt ? Happy days.

John thanks for your input on this forum you have been a star:D Have a good final few days on your world cruise . Love to Andrea and birthday wishes. XX Maggie.

Enjoy the last couple of days of your trip. I can't begin to imagine how it feels to be packing up after such a long time away. Thank you all for the updates. I've really enjoyed reading them.

Thanks John. We did have a fabulous day in Lisbon last year with all three Queens there. Never mind you have a sailaway party to look forward to. I have been reliving the sailaways on the cruise you and I were on in 2013. Not a good world cruise in many ways, but boy did we enjoy the sailaway parties.

If I can say Piano cruises do anything at all well, it was the sailaways and your DVD's on You Tube are still there. I saw a thread on FB about the sailaways and they were talking about this woman who dressed up at all sailaway parties on that voyage.

I replied and posted some photos they were asking who the woman was . I had to admit it was me.:) Who else would wear a multi coloured wig and a hula hula skirt ? Happy days.

John thanks for your input on this forum you have been a star:D Have a good final few days on your world cruise . Love to Andrea and birthday wishes. XX Maggie.

Yes Lisbon last year was memorable in many ways, and the sail home in convoy was brilliant. I know Cunard plans it main celebrations for Liverpool this year, but it would have been nice to have met up and sail onward again.

We have been told that there is a 1630 sailaway from Southampton tomorrow afternoon, the first time for all 3 Cunard ships in daylight according to the blurb ? :-

Southampton 3 Queens Sailaway

As you return to Southampton, you may already be aware that you will be part of a maritime spectacle; all three Cunard Queens will be arriving and departing together. the three ships sailing together is always a special occasion, but Sunday's arrival will be even more special as it will be the first time we have returned to our homeport since we embarked on our World Voyage in January. Of course, 3 may also marks the beginning of our 175th Anniversary celebrations and the occasion will also see us all leave Southampton in daylight for the first time ever. As we leave our berth, we would invite you to join us and your fellow passengers on deck to enjoy our spectacular departure. Please be aware that we will be departing at 1630, with all passengers required to be on board by 1600 hrs.

Hopefully we shall be home by this time, with only our marvellous recollections to keep us happy until next time.

Thanks all for another wonderful trip.

John & Andrea

Edited by Janix

John and Andrea thank you for helping us follow you around the world. I hope you have a safe journey home.

I always recall the final night of a world cruise when you are down to nothing but a carry on bag and you day clothes for next morning. A strange feeling after living a small cabin for four months, overtaken by everything one buys along he way! Clothes shoes and mementoes galore! Nothing left but your toothbrush, and your walking off clothes. :) Your steward will be sighing relief at the fact he can now see the bed again:)

Thanks again and keep in touch Maggie. x

Edited by maggiemou

Thanks Maggie, it's been a great trip even though we seemed to have more than our fair share of cyclones this year. The second half of the trip has been a lot quieter !

Just a short note to say Andrea did receive her birthday card signed by the Captain and senior officers a day early, so that really pleased her, as she thought she wouldn't get one this year !

Smiles all round ! :) :) :)

We are making very good progress up the channel and are currently due south of Torquay.

John

Thanks to all contributors to this thread. I've felt at times that I was with you on board and am now definitely about to start saving up for my own adventure.

In the meantime I'll just have to get my 'fix' with a Ta in November aboard the QM2!! Will have to sit down with DH and draw up a savings plan when we get back.

Another thank you to the collective of folks that told the tales of the voyage. So cool that technology allows us a day by day account..thank you for taking the expense and time you guys, I devoured every passage.

Safe arrival & onward journey home to everyone on board ~ a great big thanks to all who have posted their experiences whilst on the trip of a lifetime! I feel like I've travelled on your coattails since January & now its come to an end, I'm not sure how I'll get my own travel fix from now on. Again, a huge thank you for your time & allowing us to share your memories.

Wishing all of you safe travel home. Can't believe another World Voyage is over.

Thanks Kathy for your good wishes. There is something wrong with my life today as have had to cook my own breakfast and make my own bed. After 61 nights on Queen Elizabeth, I miss her.

Sorry I didn't post much due to internet time etc. I know that John and Andrea were posting regularly and I really didn't have much more to add. Used to meet up with J & A and caught up with all the news.

I had an amazing trip and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I cannot understand all these people that moan and complain. Not everything is always perfect and you have to understand that.

Must now look at the brochures and think about booking another one.

Well here we are home at last after the 2015 World Cruise ... I've never been happier to be home and away from the Floating Prison ( before you all get outraged and start huffing and puffing this is my opinion and is how we felt )

The trip has taught us a valuable lesson :

We love England and we love our home.

We have no more Wanderlust and our days of adventures are well and truly over as we now know just what is important in our lives.

No more cruising for us as we missed the family too much.

Won't be posting anything more.

Bye.

Welcome home John and Andrea and Pat. We have been following your travels with interest and have enjoyed reading your news. Hope you find your respective homes just as you left them and enjoy the sunshine today.

We will keep our eyes peeled for your future plans. For us, nothing decided as yet.

Welcome home all world cruisers and well done for all your posts. So happy you all had a good time.

Pat, Pleased you enjoyed your "second half" after completing your first half last year :) Hope to see some of you next year when we will be sailing Cape Town to Sydney on QE again. Till then have a good summer and enjoy your home life again. Now back to reality .:D Go get the fish & chips in. :)

Thanks Kathy for your good wishes. There is something wrong with my life today as have had to cook my own breakfast and make my own bed. After 61 nights on Queen Elizabeth, I miss her.

Sorry I didn't post much due to internet time etc. I know that John and Andrea were posting regularly and I really didn't have much more to add. Used to meet up with J & A and caught up with all the news.

I had an amazing trip and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I cannot understand all these people that moan and complain. Not everything is always perfect and you have to understand that.

Must now look at the brochures and think about booking another one.

Glad you had a great cruise Pat. I enjoyed following your blog. I also enjoyed reading everyone else's stories of the time onboard.

I can not wait until next year when I am on Queen Elizabeth (Adelaide to Tokyo) Mind you I do hope the weather is much better next year!

Chez

Welcome back John and Andrea. We have been back a few weeks now. Phil had the horrible cough ended up at the GP and prescribed antibiotics. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed our balcony cocktail parties[emoji6]

Hi Lady49monet, Seems ages since we had my party on QE at the start of the world cruise. Pleased you had such a good time. I was very near our old school three weeks ago. I had to make a flying visit to here. :)

Guess what the sun was shining as well. :)

bradford%20020_zpso69kpuxg.jpg