How to tip?

Locksmth

Not wanting to get into a debate about how much to tip, but HOW do you tip?

Do you leave it for the Steward on the table? Hand it to him personally and say thanks?

Same question for head waiter, bartender etc.

I don't personally have much experience with personal service other than restaurants. Then I just leave the tip on the table.

Do you leave it for the Steward on the table? Hand it to him personally and say thanks?

I don't personally have much experience with personal service other than restaurants. Then I just leave the tip on the table.

not sure if you know this or not but they take tips out automatically on your sign and sail card. If you are asking how much EXTRA to tip above the automatic tips then the above posters are correct

If you dont know that they automaticallyu take out tips every day for all the necessary staff, then please know that they do take it out for you and you dont have to tip anything else above and beyond that if you choose not to

I leave the tio on my sign and sail card

If I have special request for the steawrd I will tip by handing it him

If my waiter goes above and beyond I hand it to him on the last night

Our last cruise on the Liberty we saved our towel animal each night and for days put them in the OV window ...by the end of the 8 days we had a zoo...they had mardi gras beads...and when we debarked we had tons of ones that we tucked into the towel animals...:D I'm sure our room steward loved seeing those towel animals like that! We do the auto grats as well. If other services such as bartender,etc are above and beyond we tip more.

Edited by elainmir

Being from New Zealand where tipping is very rare/non-existent I'm also very confused as to what should do on my upcoming cruise. Do you tip wait staff every night or just on the last night? And your room steward and housekeeping? Another post I read said that a lot of people leaving $2-5 on the bed each day for these people...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Being from New Zealand where tipping is very rare/non-existent I'm also very confused as to what should do on my upcoming cruise. Do you tip wait staff every night or just on the last night? And your room steward and housekeeping? Another post I read said that a lot of people leaving $2-5 on the bed each day for these people...

We always leave the tips on. At the end of the cruise, we personally hand our room steward and the assistant room stewards some extra money. We always ask our steward how many assistants he/she has. Some will have one; others will have one for the morning and another for the evening. Same with the wait staff.

Also, if we get room service, we will give $1-$2 to the room service waiter/waitress.

As the others have said... We always have the standard tips taken out when we first board or even sometimes go ahead and pay for them when we book...

Extra tipping to MDR Wait Staff, Cabin Steward, Room Service Waiter always when the awesome service is rendered...

We prepay tips and give extra if we have exceptional service on the last day. We only tip housekeeping daily when staying in a hotel on land as you may not have the same housekeeper every day.

I always leave the auto-tip on my S&S card.

Then I leave extra in an envelope on the dresser for the Cabin Stewards.

Hand cash in an envelope to the Head waiter and waiters.

And leave cash at the table or bar when I get that A++ service from someone during open seating or when I'm sitting and having a cocktail.

I know the cash tips are above and beyond for all these situations.

In addition to the Auto-Tip, we leave a $5 bill on the bed.

Sometimes we leave a note with it.

Well done -and thank you for your generosity.

I'm sure it is appreciated!

Like you..

I pre-pay my auto-tips before I even set foot on the ship

but on the last night, I also split a $50 bill into five x Tens to be handed out thusly:

$10 each to my three-man waiter team at the MDR table

and $10 each to the cabin steward and his assistant.

I make a point to find the latter pair and give it to them

-in their hand! It helps to light up their lives, trust me. ;)

Don't be a cheapskate like some folks....

Results.JPG

............^ Results of the Tipping Poll at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1910956

Edited by Aplmac

If you didn't prepay gratuities, Carnival will automatically add tips to your Sail and Sign Account. Any additional tipping is entirely up to you and is not necessary, except for room service orders.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Well done -and thank you for your generosity.

I'm sure it is appreciated!

Like you..

I pre-pay my auto-tips before I even set foot on the ship

but on the last night, I also split a $50 bill into five x Tens to be handed out thusly:

$10 each to my three-man waiter team at the MDR table

and $10 each to the cabin steward and his assistant.

I make a point to find the latter pair and give it to them

-in their hand! It helps to light up their lives, trust me. ;)

Don't be a cheapskate like some folks....

Results.JPG

............^ Results of the Tipping Poll at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1910956

This is what we do as well, however this time we have anytime dining. Do you have any experience with that? Is it different staff each night? Do you usually just leave a couple dollars in the table? Thanks

We always prepay our gratuities as for extra tips , Hubby hands the tip to our head waiter and his assistant (each) when he shakes their hand thanking them for a great week of service. Since its hard to catch the room steward we usually leave his tip with a note thanking him/her for their service as well. All the last night of the cruise!!

Edited by hockeyluver