France and travel advisory

gumdrop44

It was recently that all cruise lines stopped going to Mexico because of the danger to tourists. ...

First off, the Mexico issue was much different. A "home grown" problem.

And, more important the statement is totally wrong. No way did all cruise stop going to Mexico. Cruiselines have been going there non stop for years. There have been some selected ports skipped. Please share your "facts".

I personally would avoid France right now. They say another attack in definitely going to happen it's just a question of when. They are stating on CNN to avoid places where large number of people gather like amusement parks. Most tourist places are definitely where large numbers of people gather.

The OP asked a legitimate question, not for a reality check.

You know US for years has been Public Enemy #1 to these jihadists, right? You may want to head for the hill if you are this worry. For me, I will keep SEAL Team Six on speed dial while I am cruising.

I personally would avoid France right now. They say another attack in definitely going to happen it's just a question of when. They are stating on CNN to avoid places where large number of people gather like amusement parks. Most tourist places are definitely where large numbers of people gather.

The OP asked a legitimate question, not for a reality check.

CNN talk a lot of rubbish. They stated that Birmingham, the 2nd largest city in the UK, is totally Muslim and that non-Muslims do not go there!! I have no idea where they get their information, but they couldn't be more wrong if they tried. Incidentally this is the same network that describes the gunman in the Kosher Deli as an African-American (!) and that the attack in the same Deli as not anti-Semitic.

CNN talk a lot of rubbish. They stated that Birmingham, the 2nd largest city in the UK, is totally Muslim and that non-Muslims do not go there!! I have no idea where they get their information, but they couldn't be more wrong if they tried. Incidentally this is the same network that describes the gunman in the Kosher Deli as an African-American (!) and that the attack in the same Deli as not anti-Semitic.

Apologies, comment re Birmingham was Fox News not CNN. Second comment is CNN

It's so noble to say I won't give in but quite another to put yourself in harms way. I'll personally would wait until the dust settles before making a decision. I was in France on a MED cruise just last Oct and it would have put a real damper on my frame of mind if this happened then. I would find it difficult to enjoy myself in light of what happened if I were visiting that day.

It's one thing to have an emotional reaction to last week's events and to feel you couldn't enjoy yourself as a tourist in France at the moment. That is a totally understandable reaction, and as you said, you have the right to feel uncomfortable no matter what other people say.

It's another thing, however, to suggest that cruise lines are foolishly putting their passengers in harm's way by continuing to stop in France after last week. If cruising to France is dangerous today, it was just as dangerous last October when you did it, and it will remain dangerous after the dust settles from last week's events. If another week or two weeks or two months or two years go by and there are no further terrorist attacks in France, everyone will decide that France is "safe" again and life will go back to normal. The problem is that our normal life is the target.

Wow I'm just wondering because their is a fugitive on the loose. You guys are super harsh. Im aware events like this happen everywhere.

It is a natural concern. Ships avoided Egypt for civil disturbances and some cruise lines avoided some Caribbean islands a few years ago after a passenger was killed. And there has been some reports that France fears additional incidents. The paper this morning reported that France is mobilizing 10,000 security forces. This is not your normal every day occurrence. I don't think you were out of line for posing the question.

It is a natural concern. Ships avoided Egypt for civil disturbances and some cruise lines avoided some Caribbean islands a few years ago after a passenger was killed. And there has been some reports that France fears additional incidents. The paper this morning reported that France is mobilizing 10,000 security forces. This is not your normal every day occurrence. I don't think you were out of line for posing the question.

True.. extraordinary circumstances/events MAY result in carriers and people to re evaluate their plans. That is common sense. And the OP had every right to ask the question.

Edited by jaja

We are not in "normal times" and doubt we ever will be again. It's France today, London the next and who knows what next week will bring. So, are we going to stop travelling - NO, but we should be very aware of the risks involved and the current climate of our next stop.

. The paper this morning reported that France is mobilizing 10,000 security forces.

This is why France is safer today than yesterday. Terrorists are cowards who like to pick on soft civilian targets with little or no protection. Not when security is out in force.

We are not in "normal times" and doubt we ever will be again. It's France today, London the next and who knows what next week will bring. So, are we going to stop travelling - NO, but we should be very aware of the risks involved and the current climate of our next stop.

This. Plus the (already mentioned) fact that even with these unusual events happening the odds of getting killed are still a lot higher in US than in most places in Europe where cruise ships call.

So even if I was now in France and came from there to US next week, my risk of becoming a victim of crime grows significantly.

May I ask as to where that idea comes from?

I think that All-ready2cruise meant that there was a website for individual countries to check on advice from their own Governments.

Quoting them like that made it out of context, in my opinion.

If I was computer-savvy enough to multi-quote, I would have put the whole of All-ready2cruise's reply in.....but I'm not, so I hope my response makes sense!! :o

The full post was :

Unfortunately, it's reality, not harshness. We all need to be aware of what's going on, IMO.

Look to your country's government for guidance. No one on here can advise you better than they will.

This website is for US citizens and if you're concerned about travel anywhere in the world you can check here for alerts. If you're not in the US, you can find your country's site just by searching the web.

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...nglish/go.html

Stay safe.

I take your point about individuals being able to check on advice from their own Governments but why quote that the website is for US citizens?

Probably only All -ready2 cruise can answer that.:confused:

Edited by Ewoodspark

I take your point about individuals being able to check on advice from their own Governments but why quote that the website is for US citizens?

The information provided on the US State Department Travel Website is primarily directed at US citizens. Of course anyone can consult the site if they want. You can look up your own country and see what the US thinks about you…