Why should I choose RCI??

nissach

We have never sailed RCI before, but have sailed Carnival 5 times and HAL once. We have enjoyed all of the cruises we have been on(hard not too) and one of the major considerations when picking a cruise is price. We always cruise at Christmas/New Years due to my schedule, so prices are always higher.

I would like to get the opinions of experienced RCI cruises why for any upcoming cruises I should consider RCI?

None of us knows what it is that you enjoy about either cruising or Carnival so we can't possibly know why you should consider RCI. Maybe you could ask one of RCI's customer reps. or a TA and let us know what they had to say.

to be honest, with the current changes with RCI, I'm looking at other cruiselines. So I have no good reason for you to try RCI. If cost is your factor, then definitely don't sail RCI, you can find cheaper fares elsewhere. I hear food is better on Princess and HAL. As for ship amenities, do you want a water slide (CCL) or a flowrider (RCI). The newer ships are still very high priced just to try Ripcord by iFLy, bumper cars, or Northstar. But other ships have mini putt putt courses, ice skating rinks, and of course they all have a rock climbing wall.

to be honest, with the current changes with RCI, I'm looking at other cruiselines. So I have no good reason for you to try RCI. If cost is your factor, then definitely don't sail RCI, you can find cheaper fares elsewhere. I hear food is better on Princess and HAL. As for ship amenities, do you want a water slide (CCL) or a flowrider (RCI). The newer ships are still very high priced just to try Ripcord by iFLy, bumper cars, or Northstar. But other ships have mini putt putt courses, ice skating rinks, and of course they all have a rock climbing wall.

Thank you for your feedback!

Price always ends up being the overriding factor when booking a cruise and that is why we have repeatedly gone with Carnival. I was just curious as to whether RCI was worth the extra cost. :confused:

What changes are you referring too??

None of us knows what it is that you enjoy about either cruising or Carnival so we can't possibly know why you should consider RCI. Maybe you could ask one of RCI's customer reps. or a TA and let us know what they had to say.

I am simply looking for CC readers to tell me the good things(or even the bad) about RCI. I enjoy everything about cruising and book at least one every year. I have always looked at RCI, NCL, etc., but come back to Carnival for the over all price it will cost for our holiday.

There is nothing I specifically like/dislike about Carnival, I book them for the price.

There are many people who choose RCI over Carnival(or other cruise lines) and price is not necessarily a factor. Did they enjoy the cruise and what RCI had to offer?; was the extra money spent worth it?

Price always ends up being the overriding factor when booking a cruise and that is why we have repeatedly gone with Carnival. I was just curious as to whether RCI was worth the extra cost. :confused:

over the years the quality of food has declined, more nickle and dime-ing (ie more specialty restaurants), little touches have disappeared (no pillow chocolates, no fresh flowers,), and perks for their repeat customers have declined. I imagine its the same cost cutting with all the cruiselines. So if you're OK with Carnival and enjoy it, then I see no reason to switch. I may even meet you on one of your sailings!

Have been on most of the major cruise lines and enjoy RCI.

Our last cruise was on RCI's Enchantment of the Seas- it was very good. Nice cabin, good food, good music- friendly service. We especially liked the Solarium and the Park Cafe there. Also enjoyed the Viking Crown Lounge.

I am simply looking for CC readers to tell me the good things(or even the bad) about RCI....

What Ocean Boy was trying to explain was that one person's "good" is another person's "bad". Only you know what is good and bad for you. Give it a try and make your own judgement.

If, price is the most important, than I would go with the cruise line that gives me the most bang for the buck.

I cruise mostly with RCCL because I like their ships and the entertainment. Food really doesn't affect my decision, however, I am not a fan of the new Dynamic Dining. RCCL itineraries are for the most part, boring. We sailed on the Oasis and Allure Inaugural Cruises and the Maiden TA on the Quantum.

If, you're happy with Carnival, I'd stay with them, unless you just want to try something different.

While we're not loyal to Royal (we chose by itinerary and price ) here are a few things I really like about RCI:

The adult -only solarium

Pools and hot tubs open 24/7

Good headliner entertainment

Even the older ships have a few neat features (rock climbing walls, mini golf, self-leveling pool tables, etc)

Food and service are comparable to other mass market lines IMO

While we're not loyal to Royal (we chose by itinerary and price ) here are a few things I really like about RCI:

The adult -only solarium

Pools and hot tubs open 24/7

Good headliner entertainment

Even the older ships have a few neat features (rock climbing walls, mini golf, self-leveling pool tables, etc)

Food and service are comparable to other mass market lines IMO

Thank you for the feedback!

We have never sailed RCI before, but have sailed Carnival 5 times and HAL once. We have enjoyed all of the cruises we have been on(hard not too) and one of the major considerations when picking a cruise is price. We always cruise at Christmas/New Years due to my schedule, so prices are always higher.

I would like to get the opinions of experienced RCI cruises why for any upcoming cruises I should consider RCI?

I have cruised all the major lines and prefer RCCL in general, did 4 recent Hal cruises also. Entertainment is the biggest factor RCCL is the best . The ice show wish is on all of the ships built in last 10 years is fantastic. Food is similar to most of the other lines. Please compare the features of the ships you are considering

I totally agree, however, I have never seen a rating system for the cruise lines. When booking a hotel, there are star ratings based on many factors and this guides people to make there choices.

So if there is no rating system in place to rank the numerous cruise lines it makes sense that I would ask those who have sailed with the cruise lines for their opinions.

When on any cruise I also ask people that I meet when I find out that they have sailed other lines; what are their opinions are vs. Carnival. I compare to Carnival because that is the only line I have cruised(1 exception).

Ok what would you consider seabourne or cunard?

There may not be a true star rating for cruises but you can label them as mass market, premium, and luxury. And I can tell you as a lot of others that carnival attracts a certain population that is not as refined as others and it reflects in their product.

Read the review here on cruise critic of the breeze, you will read that it attracts families, people in their 40s as an average age, AND those that are passed out at the table from partying too much.... CLASSY!

Edited by jp30338

Straight from cruise critic:

But the more things change, the more they stay the same. Breeze still attracts Carnival's bread-and-butter passenger: the unpretentious, highly social, price-conscious cruiser out for a fun escape. (Those who like a healthy dose of solitude with their cruises should probably select another option.) That large net catches everyone from the garrulous 30-something couple and the family of eight on the yearly summer vacation to the dance-club party star who falls asleep at a buffet table with his head resting next to a half-finished beer. They just have a bevy of new options to sample.

Read the review here on cruise critic of the breeze, you will read that it attracts families, people in their 40s as an average age, AND those that are passed out at the table from partying too much.... CLASSY!

Yes Carnival attracts families and I agree average age is 40's, but I have never seen anyone passed out at a table or anywhere else from partying too much. I am sure it does happen on occasion.

There may not be a true star rating for cruises but you can label them as mass market, premium, and luxury. And I can tell you as a lot of others that carnival attracts a certain population that is not as refined as others and it reflects in their product.

I agree. I would consider Seabourne and Cunard to be more a luxury level and they would attract a much different kind of cruiser. Something that I am not interested in at this time.

However, I was not asking about those lines. I was asking for the comments about Royal and on another thread about NCL compared to Carnival because IMO they are all 'mass market' as you put it.

As best as possible I was trying to compare 'apples to apples'.

We started on Royal as a relative booked our first trip as a birthday celebration, and she went on others' recommendations.

We have stayed with Royal as we have found them good value for money, and have been happy with the facilities etc. Now that we are Diamond in the RCI loyalty program, other lines have to be offering something to make up the price difference for the free drinks, wifi, laundry and the diamond balcony discounts we get.

We have done research each time as to other lines going to similar locations, and we are only sailing Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific at this time for budget and leave time reasons. The other lines like P&O, Carnival, Princess, Hal etc. seem, on quick glance, to have pretty similar pricing at the times we like to go, which is never Christmas and school holidays.

So we are not looking at the same part of the world, or time of year, but from what we hear from other passengers that do sail different lines, they are all more similar than they are different. We don't do much sitting by the pool, or use any of the rock climbing, or children's facilities, but I would say that is the thing you should look at, as other's have said here. What facilities are you after?

All the cruise lines are balancing between giving you a great experience while maximising their profits. I don't need pillow chocolates and things like that, but I do like to see staff around public areas cleaning the rails etc. We like the shows in the theatre, some more than others, and the same with the musicians around the bars. We have heard that on some lines they charge you for room service items. We like our room service breakfast, and while we choose to give a couple of bucks tip, it is for free.

So no line will be perfect, but as long as I am happy with the bed, food, entertainment etc, I will stay with RCI and Celebrity due to our loyalty perks. Why you should try Royal is hard for me to say, but I agree with Bob, maybe just try it for yourself, if the price and itinerary works for you.

Edited by goodycruising

I agree. I would consider Seabourne and Cunard to be more a luxury level and they would attract a much different kind of cruiser. Something that I am not interested in at this time.

However, I was not asking about those lines. I was asking for the comments about Royal and on another thread about NCL compared to Carnival because IMO they are all 'mass market' as you put it.

As best as possible I was trying to compare 'apples to apples'.

Ya. But thats my answer for trying RCI. The mass market cruise lines are quite similar when you look at the big picture, imo. Each just has different gimmicks but still they all offer the same basics. Each do seem to attract a different typefof passenger however.

I have appreciated all the good, honest, and valuable feedback. :)

For now I will likely keep choosing Carnival, always checking out other options before booking however.

As many have posted, stick with what has worked for us so far. We have been happy with Carnival so far and maybe one day we will try something new if the price and timing fit us.

I guess it would be nice to have loyalty perks with at least one cruise line, and with Carnival we are 1/2 way there. ;)

We are Loyal to Royal. We ventured out to try other lines the past few years including Celebrity, Disney, Princess and Carnival. Why are we loyal? Service, amenities and layout of their ships.

IMO Food was terrible on Carnival and service was lacking. I only remember Guys Burgers and a chocolate cake for dessert. I never received a drink at dinner in the main dining room. Breakfast took over an hour and pancakes were cold. On an 8 night cruise on their newest ship I expected better.

We find the layout of the royal ships easy to navigate. On Carnival we had to go up and down decks to get somewhere.

I would suggest trying other lines and find the one that you like best.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am finding for the times I am wanting to cruise that Royal is cheaper for me. We have military discount and Crown and Anchor (previous cruiser) discounts. With those it is $300.+ cheaper for our September Cruise out of Galveston. The Royal info I have is for the Navigator.. so not relevant to all Royal ships.

Lido deck was sound system was BLARING, Royal was loud but not overwhelming.

With Royal I give the advantage on the Adult only area, the decor, and the entertainment. The Ice Show was fantastic.

Food I did not see major differences in types of food. In Royal's buffet there was significant staff presence doing things like cleaning tables. They also brought drinks to the table for you, and were very responsive to the diners.. getting things like silverware if someone forgot it. Both ships had 24 hour food venues of some kind. Royal you pay $3.95 between midnight and 5 am for room service.

Carnival has Guys Burgers on most ships at no cost, Royal had Johnny Rockets at a $5.95 upcharge.

Royal Bingo was not immediately before the shows, making you sit through Bingo if you want a good seat.

I don't recall any PA announcements that were not from the Captain, no "GO to bingo" messages or BUY jewlery at our sale"

Lots of things are the same.. like Trivia,Love and Marriage type shows, etc.

On Royal there was more live music venues, but they were small areas that made it hard to get seating. There were several "dance floors" that were very small.. could accommodate only 5 or 6 dancers. There was also a nightclub that was more geared to a large amount of people.

We are Loyal to Royal. We ventured out to try other lines the past few years including Celebrity, Disney, Princess and Carnival. Why are we loyal? Service, amenities and layout of their ships.

IMO Food was terrible on Carnival and service was lacking. I only remember Guys Burgers and a chocolate cake for dessert. I never received a drink at dinner in the main dining room. Breakfast took over an hour and pancakes were cold. On an 8 night cruise on their newest ship I expected better.

We find the layout of the royal ships easy to navigate. On Carnival we had to go up and down decks to get somewhere.

I would suggest trying other lines and find the one that you like best.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm wondering how many times you have sailed on Carnival? When we sailed Mariner we had the worst dining room service that we ever encountered. If that had been our first RCI cruise I might have never gone back.

Honestly,,,,

If price is your major consideration, then RCL will never be your first pick!

Almost always MSC, Carnival, and NCL (in that order) will have lower prices in the Caribbean!