Sailing Solo - lonelyness?

Iggipolka

I'm married and choosing to sail solo for my birthday cruise. I want a week where I get to be selfish and not have to worry about other people's wants or needs. A true break from everything!

That being said, I know I'm going to miss my spouse sometimes, espically on those long romantic evenings. So, I'm wondering, for those who are married/coupled and choose to sail solo, any hints or tips for dealing with the lonelyness of missing your significant other?

Thanks!

Hi

I am married to a man that will not even step aboard a ship!! If you ever need a travelling companion let me know... .. I am so tired of constantly trying to get friends who don't have the cruise bug to go with me.. Jean

We are doing a Cruise Critic Group sailing on the RCCL's new ship Freedom of the Seas Oct. 15, 2006. We have a few of us singles going on this sailing. So, for anyone interested in going on a cruise and worried about 'being lonely' come and check us out!! We have a GREAT group of people who have booked. It promises to be an AWESOME time!!!

Click below for details and to check out our CHAT thread.

Jan

I have been going on a cruise for the past few years with a friend, my brothers mom-in-law, but this year I decided to go alone as she is too high maintenance, did not like the breeze on deck...complains too much! I try to do something every year while he does his golf thing, this year Explorer of the Seas 12/04/05.

Iggipolka, the nights are a little lonely at first, but try to just sit back on the deck, enjoy the peacefulness and the stars! I spent many evenings alone up there, got past the lonely and enjoyed!

whit53...think I will check out that Freedom cruise and request he golf that week!

Deb

I'm the group leader for the August 19, 2006 Caribbean Princess Cruise Critic group cruise. We have great rates, shipboard credit, and some other amenities. There is a single lady in our group who is a non-smoker and she is interested in sharing an inside cabin. If anyone is interested, contact me at kacruiser@ev1.net.

Also, there have been some other singles who have booked and I have been glad to help coordinate their finding a roommate. I won't put the singles together, but when I get singles who are interested in sharing, I take their information and then let them know when someone else has expressed an interest in sharing. I don't give names or contact information unless both parties are agreeable.

To explain for those who don't know, a Cruise Critic group cruise is different from other group cruises in that we don't eat together. You can meet people and decide mutually to eat together, but you eat whenever it is that you want--not with the group. You can also do as much or as little with the group as you want. There will be a sailaway party and a meet and mingle. There will also be some opportunity to share shore excursions. But you don't have to do anything with the group-- if you only want to take advantage of the group pricing and amenities, it is fine.

For more information, click on the links below or email me at kacruiser@ev1.net.

• 1 month later...

Hi! I understand where you are coming from. Everyone of my cruises, except for my first,I have done solo.

I enjoy that I have the right to sleep late or get up early. To read a book, or enjoy the spa,etc.

As for being lonely, you will always find someone on board. I met a group who took a tour in port together and we had fun. I met people during tea, at lunch,etc.

I don't mind going with anyone, but if they can't go, why should I stay home when I can be on a wonderful trip enjoying myself.

Westerdam, Here I come :D :D :D (November 13,2005)

sailing solo again!!

Hi Iggi - I am happily married and my first solo cruise was on HAL last year. I had such a great time, that I came home and booked another HAL cruise to Alaska just a few months later. I found HAL was very good about seating solos with other solos or mother/daughter combinations. I am still in touch with wonderful people I met on both cruises. I do tend to be very outgoing.

Also, HAL offers other opportunities for solo's to meet (luncheons, etc,). Keep an eye out in your daily program. Have a wonderful cruise.

Marie

:) Hi Marie, great to see you again.....been a long time!

Hope you are doing well:) I just returned from a cruise...I see you

are going in December. Have a great time:D

It's always good to see you too. Yes, I am cruising with my dh and another couple in December...5 more Saturdays until we cruise. I would love to solo cruise in the Spring though :).

Since you are recently back from a cruise, you must be experiencing PCD! February will be here before you know it.

Marie

I can guarantee you won't be lonely on the Explorer of the Seas with the "HAC-ers".. we have free cocktail party, free Meet ''n Mingle and a cabin party in our stateroom with free drinks... just for starters.. the beauty of it is you can "meet and mingle" at your own pace.. We had singles this year and they were all over the place with the group... We are also cruising in a near guaranteed "not overrun with children" week...

Archived