What Cabin do you get with 2 adults and 2 kids?

LuCruise

On some ships the gym / spa showers are available to everyone, so Dad and smaller children can go and shower there leaving the Mums and older more complicated girls! to have more room in the cabin.

There was 3 of us cruising and DH would shower first and then go get a beer on deck whilst the girls showered and got ready then met him later.

Just me and DD now so not quite so complicated.

Gillian :)

Very smart to have some use the gym showers. My DS is very private, but good option to have DH use the gym shower if we're tight on time. On our last big (land) trip, DH showered at night, where the rest of us showered in the morning (but we also had 2 showers). However, it's different on a cruise since I can see us all wanting to shower end of day but before dinner to get off the sand/chlorine from the day. (Mind you, I'm a morning shower person)

One option that hasn't been mentioned before is that some ships have a select few cabins that have connecting doors between them. For our upcoming cruise (we leave in 4 days!!!) when researching, I considered booking two inside cabins with a connecting door for our 3.5 yo twins. This would mean that we had a separate room for them that allowed us to keep dim and prop the door open, so that we didn't have to turn the lights off at "lights out bedtime." But for various reasons, that didn't work out, including the fact that we got a promotion that allowed 3rd and 4th passengers to sail free. So we ended up in a JS where we'll have the two of them share the sofa bed. There is a privacy curtain between their side of cabin and ours so that we can turn the lights out for them, but not us. They actually love to share a bed; the main issue will be that when they share a bed, they talk and keep each other up talking, but we'll see how it works.

Some neighbors of ours who have almost 4 yo twins just came back from a Disney cruise and they had one of those cabins with a pull-out couch and a wall-mounted bunk bed. Their twins slept well in the bunk bed configuration.

We always sail with our kids and have always sailed in a quad cabin. We've never found we need 2 bathrooms. We've mostly sailed on HAL, but this winter, we tried Celebrity and booked a family verandah. I can't tell you how great it was. Our balcony was HUGE and it was in the corner of the aft. There are only 6 cabins like this on the Summit and Constellation. There is a separate living "room" with a sliding french door where the kids slept in two pull out couches. There was another TV out there too and tons more storage. The price was for the highest balcony, but we got a good deal with 3/4 passenger free, free beverage pkg. Family verandahs on other celebrity ships are at the front of the ship, and although the living space is very large, the balcony is very small and seems enclosed.

4 in a state room isn't bad depending on the stateroom. For example, we won't stay in one without a divider of some sort between our bed and where the kids sleep because our kids won't sleep if they can see us. We are going on the gem in a minisuite in a few weeks and we plan to put one in the sofa and the other on the floor in a sleeping bag. We aren't even going to open up the sofa bed. Our kids won't sleep right next to each other either. We gave them the choise of arrangements and this is what they wanted.

That said, if you absolutely NEED more space at a low price, Royal Carribbean has "Family Oceanview Staterooms" Generally, they are not available online and must be booked over the phone because they have a minimum occupancy of 5. However, if they aren't booked by a certain number of weeks before the cruise, they release them and they can be booked online by a family of 4. We had one last year and it was really large, and had a closet with bunkbeds in it for the kids. It also had a sofa bed (for persons 5 and 6) and it had a king bed. It was the cost of a regular stateroom. There are a very limited number of them and only on some ships. Theyre are generally either all the way fore or all the way aft iirc. We had planned to book one again this year, but we got the minisuite on NCL with the beverage package included for $1500 less.

When our kids get older we will probably have to start shelling out more money, but for now this is ok. One of our kids is "differently abled" (autistic) and the other has severe ADHD and we anticipate having enough room on the gem in a minisuite.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

We have cruised with our kids in an inside room ( two sets of bunk beds!) , 2 connecting balconies, all the way up to the 2 level loft suite on the Allure. My kids have always slept on the pull out bed together.... There isn't a lot of extra room for them but they don't care, they r on a cruise! One tip for when u only have one bathroom = check out the gym! they usually have very nice showers in there , I used to take my daughter up there and shower while the boys showere in the room.....

Have a great time!

Jacki

• 4 months later...

We just booked our group of seven (2 parents, 3 boys aged 9/6/3 and 2 grandparents) for Liberty of the Seas March 27, 2016 from Galveston. Spent many hours looking at different cabin options so thought I would share our experience.

The cheapest interior cabins started at $650pp+tax/fees with RCCL or $589 with a couple of agencies that had group rates in Cat M. But the only interior cabins remaining that could accommodate 3 or 4 passengers were more expensive - Cat K. As a result it was actually cheaper to book three cabins (Cat M, M, K) vs. two cabins (Cat K & K) by $226. However given the age of our kids and no adjoining rooms being available neither was a great option for a relaxing vacation.

We ended up deciding to spend book a Family Promenade Cabin (FP) for 5 and an adjacent Promenade cabin for the grandparents (PR). Cost was $550 more than the three cabin option but I think the layout will make it worth it. In the promenade room, the two older boys will sleep in bunk beds just inside the door, our 3 year old on the pullout couch and we will have a regular bed opposite the pullout. There are curtains to separate the three sleeping areas and a full tub and walk-in closet in the 300 sq foot room. The promenade windows will be a new experience to try but were not a factor in our decision.

The family promenade cabins have to be priced manually by RCCL whether you go through an agency or not.

~ We have always traveled with our kids { As long as they live under our roof } ~ LOL ~ We have travel with our daughter's in multi cabin scenario's ! ~

We have gotten to the point with RCCL ~ It's easier for us to book a suite / get the perk's / concierge / ~ An as We / I have come to say . . . walking room .

We cruised once in a balcony room an our daughter's where across the hall

Will never forget { Our Daughter Samantha } just turn 16 an wouldn't leave the cabin at first . Our room Stewart had to have Me have Samantha clean her room an stick all the room service tray's outside ~ lol ~ still have the pic's ~ lol ~ thing is our other daughter whom was 10 had to share the room ~ was comical ~ felt for Savanna ~ was a cruise we still remember !

Now the one we leave on in 10 Day's out of San Juan ~ That one We got a Owners Suite { Cabin 1320 on the Adventure } Which there's a group of us going ~ think 15 in all , , , So our cabin will be a center point ! :cool: to meet at !

If you look at it's location ! One down from Main Pool & Outside Movie Screen & Bar ! ~ We are a step away from the Concierge Lounge a floor below us ! Going to be an Awesome Cruise / Are daughter is excited because 2 of her BFF's are going an their Family ~ TBC

Have A Nice Day !

J.L. & Bree

I always thought that booking two cabins would be more expensive. However, in 2013 I booked two connecting Promenade cabins in NOS. After several price adjustments before final payment, this vacation ended being the cheapest of the cruises we had taken up to that point. I did have to watch the prices regularly but it paid off. Having the two cabins was great. That was my first time with two cabins and was looking to do the same on an upcoming cruise. However, RCCL had free 3/4 persons so we booked one cabin for four this time around. However, having separate, private, bigger space is my preference, and based on my experience not always the most expensive route.

We are trying our first 2 bedroom on NCL this November. With some of the promos running it's an insane deal. We are cruising with our son and my mother. Cost per person is less than what we have paid per person for balconies before. Plus free drinks, specialty dining etc. Check it out :)

We have shared a room with our 2 kids twice and it was fine then but they are older now, tween and teen AND....

1. There is just not enough room to share one room and one bathroom

2. If you and your dh want to be intimate on your vacation, get 2 rooms lol.

We are a family of 5 and must either book one of the few (usually suites) cabins that can sleep that many people, or book 2 connecting cabins. Oftentimes, 2 connecting balconies are cheaper than one suite.

If you get NCL with a Kids Sail Free promotion, their 2-bedroom suites are our favorite for a family - 2 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms and the Haven is great.

Otherwise, we have been on the Allure in 2 connecting Boardwalk Balconies, and that was amazing, as we could watch the Aquatheater show right from our room (kids really loved that, still talk about it!).

• 5 months later...

We have two 12 yo girls and it will be our 5th cruise next month. We always got a balcony na they slept on the pull out sofa but they are both toll and one is a active sleeper (kicker) and its kit fair to her sister.. So we priced out a balcony for 4 and balcony for 2 and inside across the hall for 2. The prices were virtually the same! So we are trying it this time. I will let you know how it goes. We had to book it as adult and a child in each cabin

Our last cruise it was cheaper to book 2 cabins (2 of us in each cabin) vs all 4 of us in one cabin. At the time we were using a pack-and-play for the baby so the extra space was great, and w had connecting cabins which is a must with preschool age kids.

Our upcoming trip we're all in one room. The 2YO is still in a crib at home, but I think we'll try the sofa bed for her on the trip to save space. We'll have to do a dry-run at home first, but if we can make that work I think it will make 4 in a cabin much easier.

Some people can't cope with 4 in a cabin, some can. When my father was alive, we travelled four in a cabin, cheapest inside cabin possible, every time. It was never a problem. (Admittedly the 'children' were both grown up. But that would tend to make it more crowded, not less, IMO.)

A lot depends on how much disposable income you have. If it's loads, then spread out. If you think you might need that money for something else some day, economise. Unless the children need daytime babysitting, for most of the time you're in the cabin, you'll all have your eyes shut. Get them to take naps on deck than you can be out there with them!

• 3 weeks later...

We opted to save $$ and pile into an interior cabin. It has 2 Pullmans that our boys (6 and 10) are very excited about and the two twins that we're having pushed together into a single, large bed for DH and myself. I know it's going to be cramped, but I don't anticipate spending a ton of time in the room. I sure hope that's the case, anyway! Haha! This is our first cruise as a family, so I sure hope I didn't set us up for uncomfortable sleeping conditions.

We're traveling on the Carnival Liberty in October.

We opted to save $$ and pile into an interior cabin. It has 2 Pullmans that our boys (6 and 10) are very excited about and the two twins that we're having pushed together into a single, large bed for DH and myself. I know it's going to be cramped, but I don't anticipate spending a ton of time in the room. I sure hope that's the case, anyway! Haha! This is our first cruise as a family, so I sure hope I didn't set us up for uncomfortable sleeping conditions.

We're traveling on the Carnival Liberty in October.

Very similar to you, but we'll have a pull out sofa and a Pullman, also in an interior (Promenade room). Kids are sane age as yours and same thinking that we'll just be in the room to change, sleep and shower.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Edited by LuCruise

• 3 weeks later...
Great thanks. So if your 8 year old went in the Pullman bed, then our 10.5 year old should be ok in it (i.e. not falling out since it doesn't look like it has large railing)

our 6 year old slept in the pullman and loved it. Really nice and out of the way and safe.

Wow, that's cool. Your kids must be quite mature. Definitely don't feel my kids are mature enough to have their own cabin in a year. But year, two bathrooms is a huge plus. We'll have to spread out our shower times.

you can do adjoining cabins and leave the door open. It is much better. We also did the the across the hall inside and we had a balcony , it was great but i felt sorry for the steward as room was a wreck. The 6 year old in the pullman was our grandchild. We are cruising with a 6 month and a 7 year old in May so I was looking for baby tips on the boards.

you can do adjoining cabins and leave the door open. It is much better. We also did the the across the hall inside and we had a balcony , it was great but i felt sorry for the steward as room was a wreck. The 6 year old in the pullman was our grandchild. We are cruising with a 6 month and a 7 year old in May so I was looking for baby tips on the boards.

Yes, that's a great idea. Next time we cruise (lol..hoping there will be a next time), I think we'll look at that idea. Enjoy your cruise in May.

• 3 weeks later...

We are thinking about cruising with Daughter, Son, Daughter-in-law, 2 grandsons,1 granddaughter. I have heard there are "Family Suites" that could accommodate all 8 of us. Has anyone any experience with them? Which lines offer that kind of arrangements? Is it better to look for 3 adjoining cabins, either inside or ocean-view. The kids will be about 17, 14, and 11 when we anticipate doing this trip. Also itinerary suggestions for 1-2 weeks from US East Coast would be welcome. Thanks for the help.

Our favourite rooms for a family of 4 are connecting Central Park View balconies on Oasis class ships. It was lovely to sit out on our balcony after the kids were asleep, sipping a glass of wine, listening to the string quartet below and people watching - so we really didn't feel confined to our room after their bed time. When kids were really little we all shared one room but since our oldest turned 9 (and youngest was 4), we put them in connecting cabins and just left the door in between open at all times, and dead-bolted their cabin door. On Quantum, we sailed in connecting "obstructed view" balconies which were a bit cheaper than regular balconies. We always book early - as soon as schedules are released, so we can nab the connecting rooms - and can always cancel if plans change. With C&A discounts and booking onboard credits, 2 rooms are often only $200-$300 more than having all 4 of us in one room. On Freedom and Voyageur class ships there are also a very small number of balcony rooms that connect to inside rooms at the very aft of the ship on each side - these sell super fast though so you need to book early!

Edited by YOWmom

We always sleep 4/room. We have 4 kids, 2 stay with me and dh, 2 stay with the nanny ( sister in law) and my brother. Teens are all told what time they need to be out of bathroom for, which is before I need in, and I am extremely low maintenance and can be ready in 20 min. So far this has laways worked for us, 3 girls though, 17 yo has taken time to get ready for years, my 10 and 11 year old aren't there yet and this all may need to be changed as we get to 3 teen girls. My oldest teen can not share with the nanny or they fight over the bathroom as it is her vacation too, albeit a working one.

2 of my kids are both movers that noone wants to share a bed with so a pullman or bunk is a necessity.

We always sleep 4/room. We have 4 kids, 2 stay with me and dh, 2 stay with the nanny ( sister in law) and my brother. Teens are all told what time they need to be out of bathroom for, which is before I need in, and I am extremely low maintenance and can be ready in 20 min. So far this has laways worked for us, 3 girls though, 17 yo has taken time to get ready for years, my 10 and 11 year old aren't there yet and this all may need to be changed as we get to 3 teen girls. My oldest teen can not share with the nanny or they fight over the bathroom as it is her vacation too, albeit a working one.

2 of my kids are both movers that noone wants to share a bed with so a pullman or bunk is a necessity.

We just did 4 to a room too and it worked out fine (Promenade room on Allure). We had a pull out sofa and a Pullman so our kids each got their own bed. (For us, our younger one moves but our older one doesn't so he took the Pullman). For showers, we just rotated so DH and I showered in the mornings and our kids showered before dinner (and I'd just do a quick sponge 'bath' to freshen up). It worked out well. Our room had tons of storage with extra shelving and stuff so space wasn't an issue. Our kids are a bit younger at 10 and 6 so guess when they get a bit older, we'd have to see.