Carnival ruined our Cruise by not caring about safety!

lovewine

Carnival Freedom December 2014 Notes

Negatives:

1. Deck chairs overboard at 1 am – loud crash and banging sound. Hit our railing. A life vest was thrown overboard as well – terrible customer service and safety response

a. Multiple different answers given as to ramifications of actions of cruise passenger

b. First they told us they did not know who threw them over, then they said they read the incident report and that the passenger was on board but they couldn’t elaborate. Then they got the “head” of security and they told us the passenger was being monitored by cruise security personnel.

c. When we were at the front desk a different day for an entirely different issue, they offered (without us asking) that the passenger was actually thrown off the ship at the first port. We asked the crew member why we had been told otherwise. They got the same “head” of security and we were then told the old answer that the passenger was still on board but being monitored.

d. They basically tried to brush us off each time we mentioned we were nervous to go out onto our balconies.

2. We waited 45 minutes for a comedy show (you have to arrive early or you won’t get a seat at all) and were told with less than 5 minutes before the show started they were going to postpone the show until 1 am and continue having the football game play instead.

a. Normally this wouldn’t matter, but the international lounge was right above our cabin and the comedy shows are LOUD. This would keep us up until way past 2 am.

b. We went down to the front desk and we were told there was nothing they could do and that it was a “corporate” decision. They couldn’t move the comedy show to another location, or the football viewing to another location. Basically, we’d have to deal with a lot of late loud noise for one night.

c. The staff were clearly not trained in good customer service skills. Instead of trying to apologize or make us feel better, they made us feel like it was our fault we didn’t like waiting 45 min for a show to be cancelled and then having to wait until 1 am to see it, or not even sleep because it was going on above our heads. Instead of taking the approach of the “customer is always right” they took the approach of always making us feel like we were being interrogated for complaining or asking what was going on.

3. Aruba

a. We specifically booked this cruise for the chance to get to Aruba on NYE. The original port time was until 11:30 pm. As we were approaching Aruba, the captain came on and said the port personnel were closing port early so we would have to be back on the ship at 8:30 pm. This drastically changed our plans on the island for the day. When cruise ships book ports, they know and the port knows ahead of time all the timings for coming and leaving, meaning, Carnival knew ahead of time they would have to leave port early and still tried to advertise that the cruise ship would be staying in port later. (Obviously port times can change due to weather conditions) We might not have booked this cruise if we knew we would have been leaving Aruba that early and would miss a lot of the NYE celebrations that Aruba is so famous for.

4. Breakfast Buffet

a. BORING. Seriously beyond boring. Same items every single day. Nothing ever differed except the type of sausage you were offered. I ate two hard boiled eggs every morning with a slice of fruit. Plain pancakes and waffles. Same egg benedict.

b. They did have an omelet station, but the lines were so long that it was almost pointless. You should eat breakfast, then get in line to have an omelet ready by lunch. The staff didn’t speak English, so ordering was nearly impossible. They also didn’t have signs with the options to put in the omelets so every person that walked up asked the same question, “What are my options?” and the staff would have to figure out how to communicate it back in English. Once waited over 30 minutes in line and the line never moved, so gave up and went through the regular buffet.

5. Room Service

a. Breakfast. They only really offered yogurt, coffee and cereal and a few baked goods. Nothing else. Pointless if you are trying to eat before you get off the ship in your own room. Honestly pointless. They also wouldn’t let you order anything special – like hard boiled eggs (which they could just take off the buffet).

b. In general – there was almost nothing on the menu. A couple sandwiches and salads and that’s it. Not even pizza. Never even bothered to order it.

6. Pizza station was always a long line and it took forever to get a slice. They hand make each piece, which is great, but really too time consuming.

7. Entertainment. This was the worst I have ever seen on a ship.

a. Piano bar: The piano guy was not playing 2 or 3 nights of the cruise. No notice, just a sign up on the door of the bar that it was closed for the night. The one night we caught him, it was packed in there, but then he decided to go all religious on us. Sang a gospel Jesus song. So inappropriate on a cruise. No one even asked for the song to be played, he just decided he wanted to preach to us all.

b. Main shows: We only sort of saw one. We had to walk out. I’m shocked my glass didn’t shatter from the horrific singing. Whoever decided to give a microphone to that group is nuts. They were terrible.

8. Smoke. Yuck. IT was everywhere on the ship. Even in the non smoking places. Based on the layout of the ship you can smell it inside almost everywhere you go. Plus, with vaping, people thought they could smoke anyplace they wanted. And did.

9. Cell phones. Carnival has a great deal for social media access and internet access while on the ship. While it was incredibly convenient for folks who needed, it was really distracting to people who wanted to really “disconnect” while at sea. Cell phones popped up in inappropriate places – for example, at the highly acclaimed Chefs table. Put down your phone and enjoy the meal! Normally I wouldn’t care, but it held up the meal because the Chef wanted everyone’s attention before he spoke (and rightfully so!).

10. We love cruising, and cruise often across many lines, including the Carnival family of brands,and were very disappointed with our cruise experience regarding passenger safety and the poor attitude of the front desk. They were not professional.

11. I cannot tell you how completely disappointed we were with the response of the cruise line failing to have a passenger be tossed off the ship when the passenger purposefully threw TWO lounge chairs off over the back of deck 10 that crashed on our balcony on deck 6 (gouge marks were quite visible, along with the lounge chairs on the back railing near the water line). This passenger endangered our well being, and could have caused us great bodily harm or worse had we (or one of your crew) been on our back balcony at the time.

There is no plausible excuse for this at all. The passenger was allowed to stay on board, was being "monitored" but that didn't mean under 24 hour surveillance. Simply said, the passenger destroyed your property and could have KILLED someone on board by his actions. Forget about the implications of a lifevest being tossed overboard, which also occurred at the same time.

The further comment from your staff was that if there would be another incident, he would be asked to leave. Some comfort to us. We didn't enjoy our overall experience, our cabin, nor appreciate your blatant disregard for passenger safety or security.

I recognize that you have no control over passenger behavior, that is precisely the point of why you establish, or should establish, safety policies; and those policies should have greater regard for those passengers who DON'T destroy your property nor endanger your passengers or crew. This passenger should have been tossed off the ship.

This passenger was afforded more concern when he (and if necessary his family) should have been unceremoniously tossed off the ship, just like he did with your lounge chairs. So, Carnival FUN takes on a whole new meaning. Oh, and by the way, we understand that there were fees and fines assessed against the family, Nice way to boost the Carnival bottom line, how about us? What do we get for having lounge chairs rain down on our balcony? Essentially, blown off...don't worry, it won't happen again, we promise. Really?

Positives:

1. Chefs Table – this was a wonderful experience. Highly suggest for anyone going on a carnival cruise. Remains a highlight of all of my cruising experiences across many lines. Chef was personable and the food was fantastic. The wine server was also very passionate.

2. Steakhouse – had the best chocolate martini off my life. Ivan was the bartender up there and he was absolutely amazing. Liquid gold! The food was also fantastic, service was great and we really enjoyed our evening up there.

3. Internet

Fixed it for ya.

If the experience was so bad, why didn't you invoke Carnival's 100% vacation guarantee? They would have flown you back from the 1st port of call and refunded the cost of your cruise and onboard purchases.

We were on this same cruise and had an Aft Extended Balcony on Deck 7. I do remember hearing some LOUD crashes one night and then saw the chairs down below the next morning. I wondered how they got down there and figured someone must have been trying to throw them all the way off the ship. I think the chairs were finally removed at the Aruba port.

From reading the rest of the original post though it's like we were on a completely different cruise. This was by far the best cruise we have been on in our life. We even tried a lot of things we've never done before like the Behind the Fun Tour, Steak House, Massages, doing our own thing in a couple of ports. All of which were AWESOME!!!

a new years eve cruise is going to be a zoo. sad but true and that explains all the bozos who smoked around the ship. i like my football but i agree with you about the football game. they should have kicked out the football fans and started the show. gospel in a piano bar is strange. try again not during a holiday?

I'm still waiting for a response from Carnival regarding the Sea Day that was RAINED OUT on our last cruise.

With all of today's modern technology, they should have known and done something about the rainy sea day.

And it was just a 4 day cruise, so they owe us a day.

:D :D :D :D

Sorry you didn't have a better time. I've been on 25 Carnival cruises, and # 26 is this Saturday on the Miracle to Hawaii. I know the Miracle is not 100% and that's okay. I'm going to have a good time. Some weeks are good and others are not so good. When I cruise I just worry about myself. I never lose sight that I'm sharing a ship with thousands of other people. I like to walk the ship. I walk it from bow to stern late at night when its quiet. Nothing to me is more beautiful before bed. I get pizza at the off time when there is no line or less people. I even hit the ice cream at night. I like to walk the ship in the afternoon too. I know what to expect lots of people, but there's also nice looking women out and its a great time to mingle. I been on enough Carnival cruises to know I also need to put forth an effort to have a good time. Cruise smart. Learn you ship, learn your fellow passengers. By the third day I know when the best time is for breakfast, lunch and show times. I hope your next cruise is a good one.

Edited by Glock19

Honestly you had me at the part where deck chairs were thrown off the deck, yes that was a safety issue and it needed to be dealt with. But just as in medical evacuations, why do people feel like they need to know how other people's issues are being handled? Carnival took care of it. They don't owe you an explanation. You weren't hurt. Could you have been? Yes. But you weren't. They told you they were monitoring the situation and it seems like they did a good job of doing so because it didn't happen again.

As far as your plans in Aruba being changed, I am so sorry that happened to, but how many times do we tell people to never plan a cruise to a certain port for only that port. I mean you were still able to visit that port but just for a shortened time. I'm sorry but Carnival can not always control what the country you are visiting decides and without knowing the reasoning behind the decision it is very difficult to blame Carnival or claim that they "waited to tell you". That's just you assuming things.

It just seems like there are so many things you are not happy with. Room service, breakfast, shows, ports, service, the list goes on. Maybe cruising is just not for you?

I think Carnival's Breakfast buffet is great!! I mean theres a few things that are not on there that I wish were but with the addition of the breakfast burritos on Blue Iguana I have never had a bad breakfast.

I do agree with you however, that the breakfast could be better for room service and they could at least offer more items, but I assume they don't so they can offer quicker service.

I just don't understand when people complain about breakfast at the buffet. What else do they want? My breakfast at home is basically coffee, a bowl of oatmeal, and a piece of toast.

This is what I don't get. Eggs several different ways (and btw, the omelette ingredients are sitting right there within sight. How hard is it to figure out the options?) Every type of bread to toast including bagels, muffins and Danishes, french toast, pancakes and waffles, bacon and sausage, oatmeal and grits, cold cereals, fruit galore, even cold meats and cheeses. Honestly, what else could one want for breakfast?

Carnival Freedom December 2014 Notes

Negatives:

1. Deck chairs overboard at 1 am – loud crash and banging sound. Hit our railing. A life vest was thrown overboard as well – terrible customer service and safety response

a. Multiple different answers given as to ramifications of actions of cruise passenger

b. First they told us they did not know who threw them over, then they said they read the incident report and that the passenger was on board but they couldn’t elaborate. Then they got the “head” of security and they told us the passenger was being monitored by cruise security personnel.

c. When we were at the front desk a different day for an entirely different issue, they offered (without us asking) that the passenger was actually thrown off the ship at the first port. We asked the crew member why we had been told otherwise. They got the same “head” of security and we were then told the old answer that the passenger was still on board but being monitored.

d. They basically tried to brush us off each time we mentioned we were nervous to go out onto our balconies.

2. We waited 45 minutes for a comedy show (you have to arrive early or you won’t get a seat at all) and were told with less than 5 minutes before the show started they were going to postpone the show until 1 am and continue having the football game play instead.

a. Normally this wouldn’t matter, but the international lounge was right above our cabin and the comedy shows are LOUD. This would keep us up until way past 2 am.

b. We went down to the front desk and we were told there was nothing they could do and that it was a “corporate” decision. They couldn’t move the comedy show to another location, or the football viewing to another location. Basically, we’d have to deal with a lot of late loud noise for one night.

c. The staff were clearly not trained in good customer service skills. Instead of trying to apologize or make us feel better, they made us feel like it was our fault we didn’t like waiting 45 min for a show to be cancelled and then having to wait until 1 am to see it, or not even sleep because it was going on above our heads. Instead of taking the approach of the “customer is always right” they took the approach of always making us feel like we were being interrogated for complaining or asking what was going on.

3. Aruba

a. We specifically booked this cruise for the chance to get to Aruba on NYE. The original port time was until 11:30 pm. As we were approaching Aruba, the captain came on and said the port personnel were closing port early so we would have to be back on the ship at 8:30 pm. This drastically changed our plans on the island for the day. When cruise ships book ports, they know and the port knows ahead of time all the timings for coming and leaving, meaning, Carnival knew ahead of time they would have to leave port early and still tried to advertise that the cruise ship would be staying in port later. (Obviously port times can change due to weather conditions) We might not have booked this cruise if we knew we would have been leaving Aruba that early and would miss a lot of the NYE celebrations that Aruba is so famous for.

4. Breakfast Buffet

a. BORING. Seriously beyond boring. Same items every single day. Nothing ever differed except the type of sausage you were offered. I ate two hard boiled eggs every morning with a slice of fruit. Plain pancakes and waffles. Same egg benedict.

b. They did have an omelet station, but the lines were so long that it was almost pointless. You should eat breakfast, then get in line to have an omelet ready by lunch. The staff didn’t speak English, so ordering was nearly impossible. They also didn’t have signs with the options to put in the omelets so every person that walked up asked the same question, “What are my options?” and the staff would have to figure out how to communicate it back in English. Once waited over 30 minutes in line and the line never moved, so gave up and went through the regular buffet.

5. Room Service

a. Breakfast. They only really offered yogurt, coffee and cereal and a few baked goods. Nothing else. Pointless if you are trying to eat before you get off the ship in your own room. Honestly pointless. They also wouldn’t let you order anything special – like hard boiled eggs (which they could just take off the buffet).

b. In general – there was almost nothing on the menu. A couple sandwiches and salads and that’s it. Not even pizza. Never even bothered to order it.

6. Pizza station was always a long line and it took forever to get a slice. They hand make each piece, which is great, but really too time consuming.

7. Entertainment. This was the worst I have ever seen on a ship.

a. Piano bar: The piano guy was not playing 2 or 3 nights of the cruise. No notice, just a sign up on the door of the bar that it was closed for the night. The one night we caught him, it was packed in there, but then he decided to go all religious on us. Sang a gospel Jesus song. So inappropriate on a cruise. No one even asked for the song to be played, he just decided he wanted to preach to us all.

b. Main shows: We only sort of saw one. We had to walk out. I’m shocked my glass didn’t shatter from the horrific singing. Whoever decided to give a microphone to that group is nuts. They were terrible.

8. Smoke. Yuck. IT was everywhere on the ship. Even in the non smoking places. Based on the layout of the ship you can smell it inside almost everywhere you go. Plus, with vaping, people thought they could smoke anyplace they wanted. And did.

9. Cell phones. Carnival has a great deal for social media access and internet access while on the ship. While it was incredibly convenient for folks who needed, it was really distracting to people who wanted to really “disconnect” while at sea. Cell phones popped up in inappropriate places – for example, at the highly acclaimed Chefs table. Put down your phone and enjoy the meal! Normally I wouldn’t care, but it held up the meal because the Chef wanted everyone’s attention before he spoke (and rightfully so!).

10. We love cruising, and cruise often across many lines, including the Carnival family of brands,and were very disappointed with our cruise experience regarding passenger safety and the poor attitude of the front desk. They were not professional.

11. I cannot tell you how completely disappointed we were with the response of the cruise line failing to have a passenger be tossed off the ship when the passenger purposefully threw TWO lounge chairs off over the back of deck 10 that crashed on our balcony on deck 6 (gouge marks were quite visible, along with the lounge chairs on the back railing near the water line). This passenger endangered our well being, and could have caused us great bodily harm or worse had we (or one of your crew) been on our back balcony at the time. There is no plausible excuse for this at all. The passenger was allowed to stay on board, was being "monitored" but that didn't mean under 24 hour surveillance. Simply said, the passenger destroyed your property and could have KILLED someone on board by his actions. Forget about the implications of a lifevest being tossed overboard, which also occurred at the same time. The further comment from your staff was that if there would be another incident, he would be asked to leave. Some comfort to us. We didn't enjoy our overall experience, our cabin, nor appreciate your blatant disregard for passenger safety or security. I recognize that you have no control over passenger behavior, that is precisely the point of why you establish, or should establish, safety policies; and those policies should have greater regard for those passengers who DON'T destroy your property nor endanger your passengers or crew. This passenger should have been tossed off the ship. This passenger was afforded more concern when he (and if necessary his family) should have been unceremoniously tossed off the ship, just like he did with your lounge chairs. So, Carnival FUN takes on a whole new meaning. Oh, and by the way, we understand that there were fees and fines assessed against the family, Nice way to boost the Carnival bottom line, how about us? What do we get for having lounge chairs rain down on our balcony? Essentially, blown off...don't worry, it won't happen again, we promise. Really?

Positives:

1. Chefs Table – this was a wonderful experience. Highly suggest for anyone going on a carnival cruise. Remains a highlight of all of my cruising experiences across many lines. Chef was personable and the food was fantastic. The wine server was also very passionate.

2. Steakhouse – had the best chocolate martini off my life. Ivan was the bartender up there and he was absolutely amazing. Liquid gold! The food was also fantastic, service was great and we really enjoyed our evening up there.

3. Internet

Sounds like you might be better suited to a land-based vacation. It certainly doesn't sound like cruising is for you.

This is what I don't get. Eggs several different ways (and btw, the omelette ingredients are sitting right there within sight. How hard is it to figure out the options?) Every type of bread to toast including bagels, muffins and Danishes, french toast, pancakes and waffles, bacon and sausage, oatmeal and grits, cold cereals, fruit galore, even cold meats and cheeses. Honestly, what else could one want for breakfast?

Don't forget mini croissants and cinnamon rolls - yum! :)

Sometimes I think when people complain about the food at the buffet, they are really complaining about the atmosphere ... Lines, noise, getting a table. I don't knew why more don't try the MDR - more or less the same food, with maybe a couple extra choices, and you get to sit down and someone brings it right to you!

But I suspect after the chair incident the OP wouldn't have happy the rest of the cruise no matter what happened!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I...I...just can't comment right now. too dang early. I'm just sitting here shaking my head. you sound pleasant...NOT. Your title is REALLY misleading. Carnival handled the situation. I is NONE (whether you like it or not) of your business of what happens with the idiot that tried throwing the chairs over. You weren't hurt. end of story. move on. find another vacation. I have read other reviews from this same cruise, and this was the only one completely different from the rest :eek:

Too many complaints. My goodness. I was with you on the lounge chair incident as that is safety issue aND it would have bothered me too. Thank goodness nobody was hurt. And yes the ignorant passengers should have been put off at the next stop aND confined to their cabin until then. It is not your business to know details however, so long as you were no longer negatively affected.

All the other stuff is just being a complainer. Ridiculous. And don't book a cabin under a lounge if you know the entertainment held in it will keep you up. You don't get to make the schedule so it centers around your sleep. :rolleyes: