Early Flight

lindy sails

If I'm one of the first to walk off the ship with my luggage could I make an 8:45 am flight at Fort Lauderdale? I will be on the Regal. Please let me know the earliest you have made it to the airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think it would be tough. The ship won't dock until probably 7 am. once it is cleared, you might get off at 7:30. Assuming you run into no traffic even at 15 minutes to the airport-which would be like finding a cab right at the exit and having no traffic. That would put you at the terminal at 7:45.

If you have no bags to check and are already checked in, you might make it OK.

BUt...that's if everything goes perfectly.....

Our last 3 flights have been 1st walk off out of FLL we make a 10:20A flight easily but I wouldn't chance anything earlier than 10A. even with that we have a back up in case.

W were docked by 6A off the ship by 7:25 and there wasn't a cab in sight this past trip and there were 5 parties ahead of us. W arrived at the airport at 8:15 maybe a bit later.

If I'm one of the first to walk off the ship with my luggage could I make an 8:45 am flight at Fort Lauderdale? I will be on the Regal. Please let me know the earliest you have made it to the airport.

No. and I would usually be the first one to say you could make an early flight, but thats pushing it too much.

We take a 9:30 flight as often as we sail out of Ft Lauderdale.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

No. and I would usually be the first one to say you could make an early flight, but thats pushing it too much.

Likewise, we regularly make a 0945 but I would never attempt an 0845, that is just too close.

Mike:)

Earliest we have arrived at the airport is 8:00. Arrival at gate was 8:20. But this was an example where absolutely EVERYTHING worked well (one carry-on size bag each, no checked bags, able to use escalator, had boarding passes pre-printed, ship docked on time, immigration was both well-staffed and fast, only one ship in port, no taxi wait, in first walk-off group at 7:15, had TSA pre-check). Even with all of that, an 8:45 flight would already be boarding at 8:20. No way would I book that flight.

Sounds like you're a gambler and like long odds.

If everything goes like clockwork, you have a chance of making it. But there are so many things out of your control that can go wrong. First, the ship could be delayed arriving in port. Always possible. Second, clearance for disembarkation could be delayed. Always possible. Third, Immigration could start late or have only one or two people to process thousands of passengers. Always possible. Fourth, there could be long lines for check-in at the airport. Always possible. Fifth, there could be long lines for Security at the airport. Always possible.

I've been on many cruises arriving in FLL and some have started disembarkation on time, others didn't start disembarkation until well after 9am (even after arriving at 7am.) You just never know. You should have seen the chaos and people screaming/crying that they HAD to get off the ship when disembarkation started late! Awful way to end a cruise.

There's a reason why the early FLL flights are cheaper: cruise passengers are less likely to make the flight so they book later flights. I'd much rather book a later flight or stay over and take the early flight. Then you're in control.

You might consider applying for TSA Pre-Check which would get you through the Security line with a minimum delay and fuss.

Edited by Pam in CA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sounds like you don't fly much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please let me know the earliest you have made it to the airport.

OP didn't ask if there would be NO problem making the flight. OP asked the earliest anyone has ever made it to the FLL airport from the cruise port so obviously the question was "is there even the remotest chance that I might make the flight?"

Terry

Agree, 8:45 is way to early. That flight will start boarding at about 8:20. There is no way you will be able to get off the ship, get through customs, make it to the airport, get through security and to the gate. I would not chance anything before 10.

OP didn't ask if there would be NO problem making the flight. OP asked the earliest anyone has ever made it to the FLL airport from the cruise port so obviously the question was "is there even the remotest chance that I might make the flight?"

Terry

So the answer would be that there is the remotest chance you would make the flight .... ;)

Edited by MauiLvrs

I just got off the Regal on 1/11/15. I was booked on a 10am flight from FLL (within the 4hr suggested time frame after the 6am arrival of ship from princess). I did walk off and I was assigned walk off "A" which was scheduled for 6:10am. We arrived at the airport by taxi prior to 7am and was able to fly standby for an 8:16am flight. I don't think that I would have booked this flight originally but I guess the answer to the OP's question is yes it can be done.

Our last experience in Fort Lauderdale had us disembarking the ship at 7:30 am and at our gate by 8:15 am. We are elite, and were given priority disembarkation, before the other walk-off groups in the dining room. We were also the only ship in port that day (the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, last year) and we were on a smaller ship (Island Princess). Other factors that can effect disembarkation are the number of ships in port, the size of the ship you are on, and the day of the week. Our flight was at 10:25 am, so this did allow for some delays. Someone posted on another thread, that the Regal has earlier disembarkation times (the ship arrived at 6:00 am vs. 7:00 am, like ours). If you are coming in on a Saturday or a Sunday, with multiple ships, and on a large ship like the Regal, it's probably not doable, IMHO.

I just got off the Regal on 1/11/15. I was booked on a 10am flight from FLL (within the 4hr suggested time frame after the 6am arrival of ship from princess). I did walk off and I was assigned walk off "A" which was scheduled for 6:10am. We arrived at the airport by taxi prior to 7am and was able to fly standby for an 8:16am flight. I don't think that I would have booked this flight originally but I guess the answer to the OP's question is yes it can be done.

I stand corrected. :)