Dawn or Star?

TAYLORCPA

With the announcement that KSF will be in February, I want to prepare myself for my options. Currently, I have the UDP/UBP/OBC for a 2BR suite on the Dawn for Thanksgiving 2016. I booked the Dawn because it was about $1,200 less than the same itinerary on the Star. The Dawn leaves from NO and the Star leaves from Tampa and the drive time is not significantly different. I have 5 (3 adults, 2 kids) in my cabin. With the KSF promo (if current 1&2 passenger prices stay the same), the price on the Star would be about the same as my current price on the Dawn. Granted, my price on the Dawn would hopefully go down as well.

My question is, is the Star that much better than the Dawn to justify the price difference?

The two ships are practically identical since they are of the same class and approximate age. Have sailed on both

I chose sailing Star out of NO a couple of years ago due to pre and post-cruise opportunities.

You will not go wrong with either. Just a matter of personal convenience and price.

As other have said, they are pretty much the same. If I recall correctly, the Star had fresh popcorn in the Red Lion Pub more often than the Dawn (Pearly Kings Pub). The Star main pool has water slides; the Dawn does not.

The back ends are different. Compare deck plans - the Star has an open deck in the aft where on the Dawn, that area is the kids/teens club. It was easier to kid to the aft on the Star. On the Dawn, you had to go through the fitness center.

Also on the Dawn the Market Cafe is larger on the port side and can be entered on both ends. On the Star, third of the Market Cafe on the port side is the teens club.

If you are sailing over Thanksgiving, the Kids Sail Free may be blacked out. KSF usually is for sailings when kids are in school - go figure.

I have not sailed either of these ships but have been researching them for a 2016 cruise.

My son (now 9) judges all cruise ships by their waterslides. The Dawn only seems to have "kiddie" waterslides which would be fine for my 5 yo DD, but a bust for my son. The Star appears to have larger waterslides.

I am only judging by internet research, videos and photos so I may be wrong but I, too, was looking at the price difference and my conclusion was that my kids would probably like the Star better.

Not sure of the ages of the kids traveling with you but this may be a factor, maybe not.

As others have said, they are basically the same. We are booked on the Star for the 3rd time in May because of the itineraries. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the Star is going into dry dock this March and will be updated with O'Sheehan's, iconcierge and a refreshed atrium and theater. I would imagine the Dawn will be done by November 2016 though.

I have not sailed either of these ships but have been researching them for a 2016 cruise.

My son (now 9) judges all cruise ships by their waterslides. The Dawn only seems to have "kiddie" waterslides which would be fine for my 5 yo DD, but a bust for my son. The Star appears to have larger waterslides.

I am only judging by internet research, videos and photos so I may be wrong but I, too, was looking at the price difference and my conclusion was that my kids would probably like the Star better.

Not sure of the ages of the kids traveling with you but this may be a factor, maybe not.

That is right. They both have a nice kids pool area on the back which is more for kids that are younger. Your 9 y/o probably will find it for small kids. That being said, the slides on the Star aren't exactly anything special. Most people seem to get stuck going down them as there is not much angle to them and they are not that long.