Cinque Terre and Pisa?

Mademoiselle22

I have a choice of 2 tours: one to Florence, Chianti and Pisa or one to Cinque Terra (Riomaggiore, Manarola, Vernazza, and Corniglia) and Pisa. Any recommendations?

It depends on where you are docking. If you docking in La Spezia, its an extremely long ride to Florence (about 2 hours each way) so I would not recommend that. Cinque Terra is very close to La Spezia.

If you are docking in Livorno, its about 1 hour and 20 minutes to Florence (still not close but not nearly as long as from La Spezia). Cinque Terra is much farther away from Livorno than it is from La Spezia.

Keep in mind that the standard European taxi (especially in Italy) can hold no more then 4 persons and with more then 3 its crowded! With a group of more then 4 you need a van/taxi which can not be counted-on to be found at any port. So for those larger groups one is well-advised to pre-book with a reputable local transport/tour company.

Hank

I am planning the exact trip that - CT + quick side to Pisa this Aug. with same time restraint - 8am to 7pm from Livorno. There are 5 of us. The most economical way for us is car hire. I am able to reserve a car with port pick up/drop off for 120 Euro (a little cheaper for smaller/none-automatic cars).

My plan is to drive and park at La Spezia train station, use the train to get in CT, and hoping to hike the path b/w Monterossa and Vernazza. I wonder if anyone know how frequent are the trains b/w CT and La Spezzia?

I am planning the exact trip that - CT + quick side to Pisa this Aug. with same time restraint - 8am to 7pm from Livorno. There are 5 of us. The most economical way for us is car hire. I am able to reserve a car with port pick up/drop off for 120 Euro (a little cheaper for smaller/none-automatic cars).

My plan is to drive and park at La Spezia train station, use the train to get in CT, and hoping to hike the path b/w Monterossa and Vernazza. I wonder if anyone know how frequent are the trains b/w CT and La Spezzia?

That is a plan but we would normally not park in La Spezia. Perhaps if you time it right (which would be luck) and get a train with little wait this is OK. But we just keep driving right to Riomaggiore (from La Spezia to Riomaggiore is an interesting drive on a decent 2 lane road). Once in Riomaggiore there is good paid parking area (both outdoor lot and an indoor garage) that is well marked...and also free parking along the road that leads down into town.

As to the trains from La Spezia to Riomaggiore they do not run very often. The current schedule has trains leaving La Spezia at 9:50, 10:06, 11:10 and 11:55. The return schedule is a better with more frequent trains running from after 2. But why waste time waiting for trains and/or having to time everything to schedules when you can simply drive to Riomaggiore.

You might want to just keep your options open and see how the timing works out as you near La Spezia. No reason to make a decision until the last minute.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I would also allocate 2 hours minimum for your hike. I was with a couple of friends and the guy in the group was a very fast walker and the 2 of us sprinted to keep up. We did it in about 90 minutes. I would have liked to been more leisurely about it, but we were doing the trails between all 5 villages…

Thanks.

Hank, I will drive to Riomaggiore. I thought train ride from La Spezia would be faster, but as you mentioned, not frequent enough. How about among the CT towns? How do I find out the train schedule? Also I assume I could buy CT pass (train + walk path pass) at Riomaggiore?

I am going to "cop out" because the closure of the Lovers Walk (between Riomaggiore and Manarola) has changed options. We do not know the current situation as to the cost of passes although you can certainly buy any pass (including a hiking pass) at Riomaggiore. Trains are overrated on Cinque Terre and generally run less than once per hour. So the best way to get around is usually going to be via boat and this will be dependent on the weather/sea conditions. The best info is gong to come from others who have recently tried moving around the villages, and those of us with prior knowledge will be of little use because of the changing situation.

DW and I often like to tell friends that traveling is an adventure and if one wants to travel independently (DIY) they must be flexible. With the lack of current info, and in your situation, DW and I would rent a car and get ourselves to Riomaggiore as early as possible in order to assess the best options that day. If things were not good for moving between the villages our Plan B might be to drive over to Lucca or even Pisa (not our favorite city). One reason we like having our own car is that we an just change our plans on a whim and to meet circumstances.

Hank

Hank, your words are wise and sound. I will take heed. I actually was talked into going to CT from a friend who just returned last month (but not on a cruise). Her family took the train one day, boat the next. She gave me the same feedback, the train ran less than once a hour.

Suggest you arrange a Private-Hire Taxi for a return journey from the dockside direct to Riomaggiore. Arrange your pick-up time to suit your schedule. (allow 90 mins. for the journey Livorno to Riomaggiore )

Don't bother with Portovenere, your day is too short. When you arrive at Riomaggiore immediately take the ferry direct to Monterosso (8euro/pp) then travel back between the villages by the local trains (total of 4/5 euros/pp)

You will find that the private hire taxi will be significantly cheaper than if you go to a tour company. The average rate for a RETURN journey will be 410- 450 euros for an 8 seat Luxury Van depending on which company you approach.

Also suggest you check out http://www.cruisetimetables.com to see if any cruise ships are in La Spezia the same day, as that is when you will find the Cinque Terre to be buzzing............. Also have a back-up plan if the seas are rough as the Ferries between the villages stop operating.

We have just returned from the Equinox Med cruise with the Livorno stop and did the Cinqueterre tour independently via http://www.tuscanytastetours.com

We left the port early at 7.30am and arrived in Manarola by 9.15am and casually strolled around the little village taking photos, then we realised that the ferry had been suspended for the day due to rough seas, it didn't look that rough to us but that was their decision. The weather was not the best, it was overcast with occasional showers but gradually improved later in the day. As the ferry had been cancelled the only alternative was the train. It was a nightmare, everyone pushing and shoving to get onto an already packed train, never again.

We enjoyed the day and the tour company collected our group of 8 people from Monterosso and returned back to Livorno, we left at 3.00pm and arrived back at 4.40pm - we could have left later but that what we decided.

Unfortunately the Cinqueterre is so well know that it attract too many tourists, so many that it is destroying the experience.

I ask the question would I repeat the experience or recommend to others - definitely NOT on a one day excursion from the cruise ship.

Many other people took the Celebrity Tour to the Cinqueterre (costing $142pp) and they experienced the same problems unable to get aboard trains and the whole day was a disaster according to the many lined up to complain to the Shore Excursion Desk. Not an experience for many to remember.

Edited by mickey89

I was always afraid this would happen to CT when the cruise ships moved to La Spezia. Nothing like a ship (or two) disgorging thousands of day tourists who all head to CT. I am so glad I had the opportunity to visit CT for an extended vacation a few years ago, before this started up.

This is one of the classic problems of tourism. A few more adventurous travelers "discover" a quaint place and begin talking about it, then Rick Steves includes it in a book, and we're off to the races. Suddenly much of what made the place attractive (often lack of crowds, authenticity, and reasonable prices) is no more, replaced with hoards of tourists, food and retail geared toward tourists rather than locals, and higher prices.

Of course, the beautiful coastline and views are still there (unless there's a mudslide, of course).

Cruise ships porting nearby add to the problem, but they wouldn't port there if the market hadn't already been created. The mainline cruise companies aren't what anyone would call adventurous.

Edited by euro cruiser

Maybe someone in here can help me. I've been to Pisa, San Gimignano & winery prior. This year I'll be traveling with some people who have never been to Pisa, so I'm relenting and temporarily have Pisa, Lucca & a winery tour booked. That will be from either 8-4 or 8-5. We are in La Spezia until 2 am the next day. Is it possible to visit Cinque Terre that evening?

Maybe someone in here can help me. I've been to Pisa, San Gimignano & winery prior. This year I'll be traveling with some people who have never been to Pisa, so I'm relenting and temporarily have Pisa, Lucca & a winery tour booked. That will be from either 8-4 or 8-5. We are in La Spezia until 2 am the next day. Is it possible to visit Cinque Terre that evening?

You could certainly take the train (or boat if available) over to Riomaggiore and enjoy that village. But given the late time of day we would not think it wise to start venturing to other villages (which take you further from your port).

Hank