Adventure of the seas-SAN JUAN

I am pretty ambivalent about other cultures. But I have to agree about the Germans. We took a 9 day Mediterranean cruise. Half the ship was Italian, the other German. The Italians were fun loving, warm. The Germans not so much. There were only 100 english speaking passengers and half of those were a 2nd language. It was challenging and outside our comfort zone. But we had a blast. Advise just go with what you know.

The direction of this thread troubles me. Somewhere along the line it has become disparaging against Puerto Ricans.

I interpreted the initial OP's question to be of a particular ship from a specified departure port.

The unfortunate direction the thread has taken is disturbing to me.

The generalizations and outright prejudices are alarming.

As a first generation , well educated , and financially secure Puerto Rican I take great offense to the posted comments.

The direction of this thread troubles me. Somewhere along the line it has become disparaging against Puerto Ricans.

I interpreted the initial OP's question to be of a particular ship from a specified departure port.

The unfortunate direction the thread has taken is disturbing to me.

The generalizations and outright prejudices are alarming.

As a first generation , well educated , and financially secure Puerto Rican I take great offense to the posted comments.

I, for one, am not attempting to disparage PR or it's citizens. I'm just relating the experiences we had on two ships during December that sailed from San Juan.

In addition I had either extremely long cruises with certain nationalities, or I've found the same behavior on cruises over 41 years.

As I said above: "It's not the nationality or the country, but the irritating behavior in excess enough to create a noticeable pattern."

If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it.

Edited by pcur

I, for one, am not attempting to disparage PR or it's citizens. I'm just relating the experiences we had on two ships during December that sailed from San Juan.

In addition I had either extremely long cruises with certain nationalities, or I've found the same behavior on cruises over 41 years.

As I said above: "It's not the nationality or the country, but the irritating behavior in excess enough to create a noticeable pattern."

If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it.

Peggy , point well taken.

And let me add that that in over forty years of traveling with RCCL my DH and I have encountered many ill mannered sail mates . Many undefined.

Thank You for posting.

Peggy , point well taken.

And let me add that that in over forty years of traveling with RCCL my DH and I have encountered many ill mannered sail mates . Many undefined.

Thank You for posting.

Well, the undefined ones are there, too.

However, when you're sailing around Australia you're gonna run into a lot of those impatient and rude guys. Then, during the second exposure, I had a woman talk to me about it on a cruise this year from Sydney to NZ and New Caledonia. I asked if it was just me, or were the men on board this ship really rude? She said, "I thought it was just ME! Yes, I've seen it, too." I had several men almost knock me over going in and out of doors and passenger vans.

The Germans speak German. They are so very obvious.

I just came back, the AOS was Horrible,

Bad food

smelly cabins

dirty towels

Old ship

No entertainment

I can go on and on

if you will take a cruise at least do it from miami - trust me.

Regards,

First poster alert! :eek:

We're going on the AOS in a couple of weeks. First time on RCCL but we have sailed twice out of San Juan on another line prior. Yes, there are lots of locals but who cares. We sailed last year out of Miami and guess what...there were lots of Miami based people on that ship that were rude as well. No matter where you go you'll find nice, kind, rude and arrogant people. Who cares. Are you there for them or for the ports? Personally I love the southern ports and guess what....we got some ideas of things to do from some of the locals chatting with them at the bar or hot tubs because they are experienced in these ports! Just book it and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're going on the AOS in a couple of weeks. First time on RCCL but we have sailed twice out of San Juan on another line prior. Yes, there are lots of locals but who cares. We sailed last year out of Miami and guess what...there were lots of Miami based people on that ship that were rude as well. No matter where you go you'll find nice, kind, rude and arrogant people. Who cares. Are you there for them or for the ports? Personally I love the southern ports and guess what....we got some ideas of things to do from some of the locals chatting with them at the bar or hot tubs because they are experienced in these ports! Just book it and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was impossible to ignore what we experienced. It was pretty much the entire ship. Based on what other people have said here, it was probably the December holiday crowds. However, we've sailed out of SJ at least 7 times now, so we will just skip leaving from there from now on. Been there, done that, and the b2b was unpleasant as far as passengers are concerned. The rest of the cruise, the ship, and the staff were all great!

Several posters on this thread seem to be on AOS in the next few weeks/months. I have a question that they may be able to answer on their return. We sailed AOS in 2012 Transatlantic with lots of sea days. The Ice Shows were scheduled for those sea days and tickets were passed out first come first served on ealier sea days. For this cruise, only the first day is a sea day. So!!! Question: when is/are the Ice Show (s) and how are tickets allocated? Appreciate any help. Especially if this is something that I need to do on RCI website (such as it is) before sailing. Marshall

My husband and I just got off AOS last Sunday. It was a great cruise! Good food, friendly staff and while the ship may be a little worn and dated it certainly didn't impact how much we enjoyed this cruise. We saw the Ice Show on Wed. 1/14 at 9pm. I asked guest services about tickets and was told they aren't giving out tickets anymore and the seats are first come, first serve. The doors opened at 8:30 and we had no problem getting seats. It's amazing what they can do on that small rink while the ship is bobbing around!

We will be sailing for the first time on AOS in November for our honeymoon :D

So, I can't resist... how did you folks know the offending people were Puerto Rican? Did you ask for their papers?

Beth

Have a great honeymoon! Enjoy.

They all got on in San Juan, they all spoke Spanish, they all dressed pretty much the same, they all behaved pretty much the same, they all ate as much as they possibly could in the Windjammer and the dining room, and, according to our waiter they didn't buy any wine. We had 12 bottles of wine in storage, and she told us we were very popular back in the wine storage, because NO ONE ordered wine with dinner except us.

They all got on in San Juan, they all spoke Spanish, they all dressed pretty much the same, they all behaved pretty much the same, they all ate as much as they possibly could in the Windjammer and the dining room, and, according to our waiter they didn't buy any wine.

Well that says it all, explains everything.:rolleyes:

Edited by looking4info

I'm just curious. Didn't *everyone* get on in San Juan?

Tom

Have a great honeymoon! Enjoy.

They all got on in San Juan, they all spoke Spanish, they all dressed pretty much the same, they all behaved pretty much the same, they all ate as much as they possibly could in the Windjammer and the dining room, and, according to our waiter they didn't buy any wine. We had 12 bottles of wine in storage, and she told us we were very popular back in the wine storage, because NO ONE ordered wine with dinner except us.

Well that says it all, explains everything.:rolleyes:

She thought it was very odd, since she had been on the ship for months and never had a cruise where no one ordered wine for dinner. It kind of fit the pattern. We also were told the specialty restaurants were completely empty in the evening, while the Windjammer was mobbed.

Just different on this particular cruise.

We're jumping onto the Adventure in March, and we are very much looking forward to it. I love the itinerary that the ship sales (and am so sad that it is changing next year) and we love the fact that it leaves out of San Juan.

We were last on it in January 2014, and the ship itself was fine. Normal wear and tear, and while we had a problem with a smell in our stateroom on the first day, it didn't last, and we were compensated (without asking). Turns out they were fixing a pipe, and the smell just happened to drift into our room. Nasty, but they brought some fans in and we were good.

As for the other guests on the cruise, I welcome the locals who come onto the ship. I find that they are willing to share a ton of knowledge about San Juan (things to do, see) and I would have never learned to play dominoes without them. (True, they taught me on a past cruise.)

I try not to worry about people's cultural background when I travel...I'm tend to only be annoyed by the loud talking, cell phone loving person who always seems to plop down next to me on a sea day. :eek:

I am booked on the Adventure out of San Juan in October and cannot wait. People tend to complain more than praise anyway, and what is bad for one person may be great for another. I look at reviews to get an overall impression, but I have never had a bad RCI cruise.

We cruised on Adventure several years ago and the reviews were questionable then. However, we found the crew to be some of the happiest in the fleet (at least, according to them) and experienced some of the best service we have ever received. It's also a treat going out of San Juan! I would cruise her again in a second.

We cruised on Adventure several years ago and the reviews were questionable then. However, we found the crew to be some of the happiest in the fleet (at least, according to them) and experienced some of the best service we have ever received. It's also a treat going out of San Juan! I would cruise her again in a second.

Agree. I would never base a Cruise or a ship from the opinions of other Cruisers. There is a lot of good info to be gleened from posters on CC but a lot of it is very subjective.