Adventure of the seas-SAN JUAN

We were also on the AOS on the 12/7/14 sailing. I did notice signs of aging on the ship but we had a great time and it didn't bother us at all. We had great service from Doc and Phil at the champagne bar, Chris at the pool and Robert at Schooners. Matt Yee was a lot of fun also. We met a lot of great people. But, the biggest complaint was the number of Puerto Rican families on board. As mentioned they would travel as a whole and the teenagers would sit on the steps which made it hard to use them. We had a 6am alarm every morning from one of the kids running down the hall yelling. In general, they were very loud and rude. Despite that part of it, we had a blast and have another Southern Caribbean out of San Juan on the AOS booked for April 2016 and I can't wait!!!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Forums mobile app

I have heard that she is going in for refurbishment in April 2016. I wonder if that's why these dates have been pulled from the schedule.

Jenni

That is as good an answer as any. We will probably know more by March.

We were also on the AOS on the 12/7/14 sailing. I did notice signs of aging on the ship but we had a great time and it didn't bother us at all. We had great service from Doc and Phil at the champagne bar, Chris at the pool and Robert at Schooners. Matt Yee was a lot of fun also. We met a lot of great people. But, the biggest complaint was the number of Puerto Rican families on board. As mentioned they would travel as a whole and the teenagers would sit on the steps which made it hard to use them. We had a 6am alarm every morning from one of the kids running down the hall yelling. In general, they were very loud and rude. Despite that part of it, we had a blast and have another Southern Caribbean out of San Juan on the AOS booked for April 2016 and I can't wait!!!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Forums mobile app

On a ship cruising out of San Juan Puerto Rico........A lot of Puerto Ricans on board....Go Figure! :rolleyes:

I have been wondering about this myself. Thank you all for your input. My family and I are booked on AOS for the 3/22 sailing. My husband and I have sailed on RCI twice before, but the last time it was Majesty of the Seas when she was still pretty new!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does anyone know why you leave port at 8:30pm and what time do they start boarding?

Yes what Bob said! We actually had a fun day after we boarded about 11:30 the last time we sailed from there. Our roll call had a meet and greet at the Sky Bar! :cool:

Does anyone know why you leave port at 8:30pm and what time do they start boarding?

We did board at 11am and were waiting for the Windjammer to open at 11:30, but they have a nice outdoor waiting area.

Several posters on this thread seem to be on AOS in the next few weeks/months. I have a question that they may be able to answer on their return. We sailed AOS in 2012 Transatlantic with lots of sea days. The Ice Shows were scheduled for those sea days and tickets were passed out first come first served on ealier sea days. For this cruise, only the first day is a sea day. So!!! Question: when is/are the Ice Show (s) and how are tickets allocated? Appreciate any help. Especially if this is something that I need to do on RCI website (such as it is) before sailing. Marshall

Several posters on this thread seem to be on AOS in the next few weeks/months. I have a question that they may be able to answer on their return. We sailed AOS in 2012 Transatlantic with lots of sea days. The Ice Shows were scheduled for those sea days and tickets were passed out first come first served on ealier sea days. For this cruise, only the first day is a sea day. So!!! Question: when is/are the Ice Show (s) and how are tickets allocated? Appreciate any help. Especially if this is something that I need to do on RCI website (such as it is) before sailing. Marshall

There is another thread on CC right now that the OP posted the Compasses for the same itinerary as me (St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, Curacao) and the first one - DAY 1 - states when/how the ICE SHOW tickets will be distributed.

Edited by 2bthereagain

The ship leaves at 8:30 for two reasons. 1) Because of flight schedules, a lot of cruise passengers don't arrive in San Juan until late afternoon. I know many of us CCers suggest getting into San Juan a day early but the truth of the matter is, most passengers fly in on the day of the cruise. The late departure allows passengers more time to get to the pier on time. 2) The southern routes usually have their first port of call (St. Thomas or St. Maarten for example) only a few hours of sail time away. They don't need to leave San Juan early in order to get to the first port at 6:00 in the morning. If the cruise starts at one of the southern islands (Barbados or Aruba for example) the first day is a sea day so that gives them plenty of time to get to the first port.

We have sailed AOS several times. Will be on her again in March. Considering how much wear and tear the ship gets, I don't think she looks bad at all. On our AOS cruise last year, we had wonderful service and really didn't have anything to complain about. Will be curious if we notice a difference in March.

Our 4th cruise on AOS is coming up shortly. We have always travel on her in the January/February timeframe. While she attracts more Puerto Ricans than the Jewel, it's been my experience that the locals have been well-behaved and having a good time. We have never had issues sailing out of PR.

Wow! It amazes me that people will point out or single out the ethnicity of a group of people to describe them as "Well Behaved"! How are Puerto Ricans usually acting when not well behaved??????? And their kids?????? I know we Americans and our kids are the most well behaved people on a cruise........Why can't everybody behave like us?????? :rolleyes:

Wow! It amazes me that people will point out or single out the ethnicity of a group of people to describe them as "Well Behaved"! How are Puerto Ricans usually acting when not well behaved??????? And their kids?????? I know we Americans and our kids are the most well behaved people on a cruise........Why can't everybody behave like us?????? :rolleyes:

I am offended by your post. Was it necessary to get snarky? :confused:

You missed my message entirely. I posted our positive experiences since there were negative comments. I didn't feel the need to shame others, I merely wanted to share our experience. I didn't want the OP to be scared away by a few bad experiences.

BTW, Puerto Ricans are Americans too.

Bravo!

Tom

I am offended by your post. Was it necessary to get snarky? :confused:

You missed my message entirely. I posted our positive experiences since there were negative comments. I didn't feel the need to shame others, I merely wanted to share our experience. I didn't want the OP to be scared away by a few bad experiences.

BTW, Puerto Ricans are Americans too.

My attention wasn't to offend yous on that, but I was just stating my feeling on that. It wasn't you personally but I always wonder about that everytime I see a post with those comments and I have seen a lot of people in this forum speak on their cruise expierience being out of Peurto Rico based on how well behaved or not behaved the people their were!

Oh and Puerto Ricans have the rights as we Americans do here in main land USA, but they are still considered Puerto Ricans unless the U.S. ever grant full statehood.

Once again sorry if you were offended!

We just got off a cruise on the AOS and it was fantastic. I thought the main dinning room food was great. The service in the Windjammer was lacking a bit, but I figure it's technically a buffet and I can pretty much get my own drinks. Philip and the rest of the crew in the Champagne bar were tops. In my opinion, they made the best drinks on the ship. There was some holiday called 3 Kings going on and there were a lot of locals on board to celebrate. After we got used to some cultural differences it was no biggie.

This was the 4th cruise we've done out of San Juan and probably the last for a while. The cost and time it takes to get there for us is just getting to be too much. 12 hours of flying/sitting in airports and the fact that the price of tickets just about double the cost of the cruise has done it in for us. I think the next cruise we do will be out of Galveston.

Dean

We went on Dec 14 and ice show tickets were distributed on boarding day as well as the next morning. The shows were on that first day (at sea) I believe at 2pm and 4pm and on Wednesday at 7pm and 9pm. I am at work but can double check my info when I get home. You don't need to do anything online before you go and the times and location will be in the compass. We loved the ice show :)

My attention wasn't to offend yous on that, but I was just stating my feeling on that. It wasn't you personally but I always wonder about that everytime I see a post with those comments and I have seen a lot of people in this forum speak on their cruise expierience being out of Peurto Rico based on how well behaved or not behaved the people their were!

Oh and Puerto Ricans have the rights as we Americans do here in main land USA, but they are still considered Puerto Ricans unless the U.S. ever grant full statehood.

Once again sorry if you were offended!

I, too, almost pointed out the ethnocentric comments. Sigh....

I'm equal opportunity all the way! I also found Australian men extremly rude going in and out of almost anything or anywhere (54 days of cruising all total). German people are also lacking in manners, and that's from many, many , many cruises with them.

It's not the nationality or the country, but the irritating behavior in excess enough to create a noticeable pattern.

To answer your question, the PR passengers on my b2b last month yelled, clapped loudly, hogged the elevators in groups of 12 or more, and blocked practically every entrance and exit.

Edited by pcur

We are looking to book the AOS out of San Juan in March but reading the most recent reviews has me really thinking the ship may not be up to par with quality.

Is this just the typical people only have time to post negative verus positive reviews or is the ship really on less quality side?

We have sailed her numerous times, the last being March 2014, and are sailing again March 2015. Absolutly love sailing from San Juan, always arrive at least one day early.

My advice: go ahead and book it.