Beware of visa point redemption

You can't use your visa points in conjunction with the WOW promotion or on the Oasis or Allure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can use them on both Oasis and Allure, except that it takes twice as many for a given usage as on other ships, and the times of year that you can use them at a specific point value changes.

I haven't used them with the WOW sale, but I have used them for OBC on the BOGO sale.

Yes. I have enough points for a cruise for two for free and can't use them because I booked on the wow sale. It states in the fine print that allure and oasis they are not allowed. Perhaps this has changed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes. I have enough points for a cruise for two for free and can't use them because I booked on the wow sale. It states in the fine print that allure and oasis they are not allowed. Perhaps this has changed.

Here are the current terms:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/visa/visaroyal-web-program-rules-10-01-2014.pdf

They do mention that certain awards cannot be used on new ships during their first 13 months of operation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are at the 125,000 point level, then you are correct. The free 7-night Oasis and Allure cruises require 200,000 points.

Yes, it's true that you can not use the free cruise if you are booked under the WOW. But according to which cruise you are sailing sometimes using your points for the "cruise discounts" is a better deal. The free cruise has only worked for me on my four day Enchantment cruise.

You may want to do the math and see if they points work better in your favor doing it that way.

LuvWilliam, I am booked under the WOW sale with $300 OBC, and was able to use the cruise discount. Already had it refunded to my account. I wonder why the difference?

• 1 month later...

Question for those of you in the know. I booked a cruise BOGOHO. We are D+ and booked a balcony with the $350 discount. However, we cannot get the $200 OBC because it is not combinable with the balcony discount. My question is can I add OBC from my VISA points.

Question for those of you in the know. I booked a cruise BOGOHO. We are D+ and booked a balcony with the $350 discount. However, we cannot get the $200 OBC because it is not combinable with the balcony discount. My question is can I add OBC from my VISA points.

Yes.

Here are the current terms:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/visa/visaroyal-web-program-rules-10-01-2014.pdf

They do mention that certain awards cannot be used on new ships during their first 13 months of operation.

Thanks for posting. We're in the process of redeeming our points now. :)

For many years, being loyal to Royal, we used the Royal branded Visa Card. With the changes in redemption, the value of the points have been negatively affected to the extent that we have found using other cards have been much more beneficial to us.

We have used 15,000 Visa points on each of 2 previous cruises to get a $150 discount for an upgrade from inside to oceanview (one cruise was a JS and one was an OV). However, I called them to redeem 15,000 points on a Feb 2016 Oasis cruise and was told we could not combine with Senior discount. I really don't get this----we have earned the points on previous cruises and should be able to redeem according to their rules (which is 7 day Oasis or Allure from Sept-May). I really don't get this "not combinable" crap. Has anyone had any success arguing the point?

Oh, that is $150 discount per person so $300 value for 15,000 points used. Based on price of cabins, of course. They were quite willing to give $150 OBC.:(

We have used 15,000 Visa points on each of 2 previous cruises to get a $150 discount for an upgrade from inside to oceanview (one cruise was a JS and one was an OV). However, I called them to redeem 15,000 points on a Feb 2016 Oasis cruise and was told we could not combine with Senior discount. I really don't get this----we have earned the points on previous cruises and should be able to redeem according to their rules (which is 7 day Oasis or Allure from Sept-May). I really don't get this "not combinable" crap. Has anyone had any success arguing the point?

Oh, that is $150 discount per person so $300 value for 15,000 points used. Based on price of cabins, of course. They were quite willing to give $150 OBC.:(

I've had no success. They keep changing the rules on redemptions, chipping away at the usefulness of the Visa card. I'm about done using it.