Upgrade to balcony?

Jbluebird

We are going on a 12 night RCCL cruise this summer, travelling with our 2 young adult children. We are currently booked in an outside stateroom, but have an opportunity to upgrade to a balcony for about 1300 more with 200 onboard credit (which we don't have now). My thought was the extra space would be great. Is it worth the extra money?

4 adults in one room? Yes...any extra space will be worth it. No way in the world would I put 4 in 1 cabin...unless it was a suite! What you need to look at is the sq. footage...you'll be going from what to what? Is it worth it to you? The deck plans will show you the sq. footage.

Edited by cb at sea

We are going on a 12 night RCCL cruise this summer, travelling with our 2 young adult children. We are currently booked in an outside stateroom, but have an opportunity to upgrade to a balcony for about 1300 more with 200 onboard credit (which we don't have now). My thought was the extra space would be great. Is it worth the extra money?

Often the inside space is the same and the only difference is the balcony.

Sounds crowded to me:eek:!

Another option might be a separate cabin if possible.

Of course this is a very personal decision- but I wouldn't bother. I always picture myself handing over the daily amount in cash for the bigger room/balcony. In this case $91.00 approx per day after the obc. It wouldn't be worth that to me. My husband and I travel with our two teenage girls. We will spring for a balcony/bigger room when the price is right- but we have bunked in small inside rooms too and it works.

Have a great cruise!

I would upgrade if you can afford it. My husband and I had a balcony and we spent a lot of time on it. It also gives you more room. I agree with cb at sea, for 4 adults, you will want the extra room.

Although it may be the same size as an inside room, the large picture window/door at end of the room will make it look larger. Plus, the ambient light that filters in is not only pleasant, but also healthier than just lights. Add to that the fact that you get additional space out on the balcony, and you might find it very much worth it.

Personally, I have spent enough time in windowless rooms when I worked in an office. No way will I ever subject myself to not being able to see outside while I'm trying to enjoy a vacation. :eek:

However, for four adults, do consider two rooms, even if you have to stay in inside cabins to afford it. Four adults in such a small space would be a recipe for everyone getting on each other's nerves. There just isn't enough square footage, closet and storage space, and bathroom availability.

Edited by fortinweb

Although it may be the same size as an inside room, the large picture window/door at end of the room will make it look larger. Plus, the ambient light that filters in is not only pleasant, but also healthier than just lights. Add to that the fact that you get additional space out on the balcony, and you might find it worth it.

Personally, I have spent enough time in windowless rooms when I worked in an office. No way will I ever subject myself to not being able to see outside while supposed to be enjoying a vacation. :eek:

The OP is currently booked in an OUTSIDE stateroom.

The OP is currently booked in an OUTSIDE stateroom.

Yes, but it is not a balcony. I was just making the observation that in many cases staterooms are the same size, whether inside, outside, or balcony. Besides, most cruise lines call their outside staterooms without balconies "ocean view". The OP made no mention of any view.

I LOVE to cruise with a balcony and spend many many hours on them over the course of the trip. For DH and I its worth it to have the outside access and usually we spend a few hours a day relaxing on the balcony if we want to get away from the crowds or to unwind right before we crash for the night.

Of course this is a subjective decision. I have sailed from insides to grand suites on RCCL. To me, the cabin does not mean too much to me. Perhaps on an Alaskan cruise, I would think differently.

Last month I gave my kids (ages 9 and 12) the option of spending our 14 ngiht B2B in 2 insdies or 1 balcony, and they chose the balcony cabin. I rarely use the balcony, and would have preferred the extra bathroom.