AMEX OBC promo, is it combineable??

browniegirl

We have two H4 cabins booked for August 2016 on the Breakaway and have he UDP, UBP, and OBC. Paying both with American Express. Can I get additional OBC?

Thank you.

js

Edited by js

We have two H4 cabins booked for August 2016 on the Breakaway and have he UDP, UBP, and OBC. Paying both with American Express. Can I get additional OBC?

Thank you.

js

I have 2015 and 2016 cruises booked with all three also, I used AMEX and they would not let me combine. Pick one or the other.

I went through this with my travel agent a few weeks ago. The promo that works with any Amex (code AMEX) could not be combined with Freestyle Choice earlier this month. But it's worth asking, because I read that NCL relaxed some of the promotion restrictions on Freestyle Choice last week.

The Amex promo for Platinum and Centurion Amex card holders *is* combinable with Freestyle Choice. That one is code AMEX CPP (stands for Amex Cruise Privileges Program).

I went through this with my travel agent a few weeks ago. The promo that works with any Amex (code AMEX) could not be combined with Freestyle Choice earlier this month. But it's worth asking, because I read that NCL relaxed some of the promotion restrictions on Freestyle Choice last week.

The Amex promo for Platinum and Centurion Amex card holders *is* combinable with Freestyle Choice. That one is code AMEX CPP (stands for Amex Cruise Privileges Program).

Thanks, I have emailed my pcc with this info and hopefully will hear back today!

Leah

HI. Just heard from my pcc and this is what he said and I approached him with both amex and amex platinum card questions:

Hello Leah, I just confirmed that the Freestyle Choice is not combinable with the AMEX OBC and will not be honored as of right now. We have however opened up AARP to combine with Freestyle Choice so in the event that AMEX becomes available, I would be happy to add it to your reservation.

So there we have it, not combinable!

Leah

I just got off the phone with NCL and they confirmed that AMEX promotion is not combinable with FC. Only the AMEC CPP is combinable.:(

I just got off the phone with NCL and they confirmed that AMEX promotion is not combinable with FC. Only the AMEC CPP is combinable.:(

If I have an AMEX Platinum card then it should work? I asked my pcc that and he said no....

Leah

Our experience yesterday and today - Freestyle and AMEX can not be combined. PCC said it was a no-brainer and everyone takes Freestyle Choice promotion because both are $300 for suites, and Freestyle Choice also provides all you can eat and drink.

Makes you wonder why they bother to run simultaneous promotions if you can't combine them, though.

I have 2015 and 2016 cruises booked with all three also, I used AMEX and they would not let me combine. Pick one or the other.

Thank you.

What is the discount with the Amex.

I have 5 in each H4 so need to add the numbers up:

I have $300 OBC for each cabin

4 people (1-2 in each cabin) have UBP

10 people have UDP

We would then also be purchasing once onboard:

UBP for 1

Soda package for 5

I need to add up the numbers.

Thank you VERY much!

Thank you.

What is the discount with the Amex.

I have 5 in each H4 so need to add the numbers up:

I have $300 OBC for each cabin

4 people (1-2 in each cabin) have UBP

10 people have UDP

We would then also be purchasing once onboard:

UBP for 1

Soda package for 5

I need to add up the numbers.

Thank you VERY much!

I believe it is also $300, so you are best to stick with what you have! When I had it a couple years ago, it was $500. My PCC confirmed just now that nor the amex obc or the amex pcc obc was combinable with freestyle choice :( bummer!

Leah

I believe it is also $300, so you are best to stick with what you have! When I had it a couple years ago, it was $500. My PCC confirmed just now that nor the amex obc or the amex pcc obc was combinable with freestyle choice :( bummer!

Leah

Bummer indeed.

Thank you, though, for letting me know.

If I have an AMEX Platinum card then it should work? I asked my pcc that and he said no....

Leah

When I booked 2 weeks ago, fare code AMEX CPP was combinable with Freestyle Choice when booking a suite.

AMEX CPP provides an additional $300 OBC as well as dinner for two in Le Bistro (reduntant with UDP).

I do not know whether it has to be booked out a certain number of months. (Ours is well over 9 mos.)

Edited by jplain

When I booked 2 weeks ago, fare code AMEX CPP was combinable with Freestyle Choice when booking a suite.

AMEX CPP provides an additional $300 OBC as well as dinner for two in Le Bistro (reduntant with UDP).

I do not know whether it has to be booked out a certain number of months. (Ours is well over 9 mos.)

Going to try to give this a whirl tomorrow and call and see what happens.

Thank you.

Oh I am so bummed that my pcc wouldn't allow this for me! I have a platinum amex and that is what I used for my deposit and he specifically said he checked and no go. I am booked 20 months out.......so it shouldn't have been a problem. Weird! Maybe it's my pcc??

Js - let us know how you fare doing this tomorrow, if somebody else gets it I will definitely make some waves...

Thanks!

Leah

Edited by browniegirl

I may be missing something here, but doesn't the AMEX CPP require you to book with American Express Travel? It has in the past.

AFAIK that's the reason those of you booking through an NCL PCC or another TA can't get this OBC.

For example, I'm getting an additional OBC above and beyond the Freestyle Choice because I'm booked using a different credit card (MasterCard) through a different travel agency. If I was booking through NCL or another agency I wouldn't be getting that additional OBC. It's an agency-specific promotion linked to the credit card, just as the AMEX CPP is.

Edited by njhorseman

I may be missing something here, but doesn't the AMEX CPP require you to book with American Express Travel? It has in the past.

AFAIK that's the reason those of you booking through an NCL PCC or another TA can't get this OBC.

I didn't use American Express Travel. I used a TA. And there are non-Amex travel agencies advertising American Express Cruise Privilege Program benefits for Platinum and Centurion Amex customers. IIRC it's not okay for me to post links, but Google turns up several.

Just found this in a blog posting:

Contrary to popular belief, you do not have to book your cruise with an American Express travel agent to enjoy the benefits of the program. Your travel agent can simply contact American Express to obtain a tracking number and then have the benefits applied to your cruise.

(link)

Edited by jplain

I didn't use American Express Travel. I used a TA. And there are non-Amex travel agencies advertising American Express Cruise Privilege Program benefits for Platinum and Centurion Amex customers. IIRC it's not okay for me to post links, but Google turns up several.

Just found this in a blog posting:

(link)

Thanks for that information. It conflicts with what AMEX says on their website. But even if you can book through another TA (and there are independent TAs that are contractually affiliated with AMEX but don't use the AMEX name...yours may be one) I'm still not sure you can book directly through NCL. As far as what the blogger you cite says...well it's a blogger...there's no guarantee of accuracy. There's no guarantee what I'm saying is accurate either...but I did own a travel agency for a number of years, so I do have actual firsthand experience in these matters. Of course things may have changed.

Edited by njhorseman

Yes, every time I ask my PCC another question about this - many different directions - he just keeps coming back with the fact that neither amex or this amex pcc is combinable with the freestyle promotion.........errr.

I have written him with my AARP membership number so at least I will get that reduced rate! But would have loved the amex promo - we have always gotten it in the past, and always had other OBCs.......this is the first time we have had trouble getting it. Oh well......the promos out right now are very good.

Thanks for writing everyone, any and all information is appreciated!

Leah

• 1 month later...

Wondering if anyone has had luck getting NCL to combine the AMEX promo along with Freestyle Choice?

When I do a mock booking for an SJ suite, without the AMEX code I get $200 OBC for a suite.

With the code, it's $300.

In the past, we were able to combine promos and once ended up with $800 to spend. :eek: :D

Also, in the mock booking it shows three prices: $1489 Norwegian rate, $1424 AARP rate and $1489 AMEX rate.

Would we end up with all the Freestyle Choice options along with OBC?

Edited by OceanDreaming2