Thinking about Volendam

bjarrett7

My husband and I are thinking about an Alaskan cruise for our anniversary in August. We like the itinerary and midweek departure date for the Volendam, but I am worried about its age. Has anyone cruised in her recently? Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was on the Volendam for that exact Alaska cruise last August. The ship was a fine vessel. Fine enough, in fact, that I am looking forward to being on her again this April & May for a 31-day cruise this time.

I'm interested in seeing what changes were made during the dry dock, but to tell the truth, I was happy with her as she was.

I know the room configurations are different from the vista and signature classes. No Special K cabins. What do you think about Lanai cabins?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have you checked out halfacts.com? There are pictures there of a number of cabins. Just click on the class of ship and you will see the listing. Don't worry if the cabins are not Volendam cabins as the ships are basically the same cabin wise. Halfacts.com is a website created by Cruise Critic members with contributions by Cruise Critic members who have been on the ships. There is a sticky at the top of the page and, as well, the link is in my signature. It might help.

Edited by kazu

I know the room configurations are different from the vista and signature classes. No Special K cabins. What do you think about Lanai cabins?

As Mary Ellen said, the Lanai cabins are converted outsides that were smaller than the other outsides.

In addition to that, the furniture is configured differently to allow for access to the sliding door to the outside. There is very little walking space at the foot of the bed.

The desk with drawers had to be eliminated, and the top portion was made smaller, and moved close to the door. Depending on the length of the cruise, and how much clothing is brought, storage could be a problem.

There are two drawers under the beds (all the cabins have that). Sometimes extra bedding is stored there, but you can ask the steward to put it elsewhere.

As you can guess, I don't think much of the cabins themselves. Direct access to the outside, and your own private lounger is nice. Whether or not what you have to give up in the cabin to get that is a matter of opinion.

Sailed on the Volendam twice on CruiseTours to/from Skagway. I like the arrangement of the buffet. She is a nice ship. The OV on the aft are are almost like balconies, you are so close to aft observation decks. Don't be surprised if HAL offers you an upswell to a balcony - happen to us twice to Alaska

We returned from Volendam in December immediately before she went in for refit. It is our second cruise on her and we like her very much. Like Ruth we thought she was good before the refit and the staff were great.

We have had a lanai cabin once, and we really do not like lower promenade cabins, Hate people walking past all the time. I know they cannot see in in the day time, but if we cannot have a verandah (cost on the R ships) we really prefer the oceanviews on main deck looking straight out at the sea and a bigger cabin.

We have sailed on the Volendam three times. We agree we saw no need for a dry dock when we were last on her, but many items covered in a dry dock are not always visible to passengers.

I know many people who love the Lanai cabins and find them an affordable transition between Ocean View and verandah. Many cruisers these days are only traveling with one bag that they can fit into the reduced cupboard space. I've heard of a lot of repeaters who rebook as they were so happy with them.

For us, they don't appeal. We usually drive to ports, often do longer cruises, and tend to pack lots of extras. The Lanai cabins are too tight for us, and not enough storage space. We book Oceanview, and are happy with our choice.

We would not hesitate to cruise on the Volendam again. We have had good experiences and found her staff to be efficient and HAL wonderful. Food has easily met our expectations, and then some.

We really like the mid week itinerary she does to Alaska, also. I don't think you would be disappointed with this choice.

My husband and I are thinking about an Alaskan cruise for our anniversary in August. We like the itinerary and midweek departure date for the Volendam, but I am worried about its age. Has anyone cruised in her recently? Any thoughts?

We did a longish cruise on the Volendam two years ago, Sydney to Hong Kong (our second on the V) and I have to say it has a real place in my heart as it was such a happy ship. I would not be at all concerned about her age, especially as she's just come out of dry dock. In fact I am trying to get DH interested in the Volendam's last cruise of the Alaskan season and then the trans Pacific to Sydney. Wish me luck! BTW, we travelled on a much, much older ship from Sydney to Rotterdam and we made it without incident.

Ozcruizer

On my recent voyage, which was immediately post refit, her age showed- not so much in her public rooms, which were all up to scratch, but in her cabins, where numerous passengers reported issues with plumbing, sewage, air conditioning and so forth. On our deck, 12 cabins got flooded when a plumbing pipe burst.

Luckily our cabin was not effected and due to the fact that I didn't experience any age related problems, I found the ship's condition to be excellent and enjoyed her age as part of her charm- she, a long with her sisters, are elegant ships, but I would ask closer to the time if the aforementioned cabin related issues are still prevalent, for if they are, they may be a deal breaker.

Edited by bahrain_not_dubai!